A2K Blog survey

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 07:03 pm
One of the next big things for A2K will be blogs. Blogs will be a new feature that will work like this:

The blog will be a page that pulls a specific member's topics from a specific forum. For example, if it's a blog about politics it might be powered by one of the politics forums. There will also be a general blog forum that powers the rest of them.

Posting to a blog will be as posting a thread to a specific forum. The code will update the blogs automatically.

Now for the survey:

Do you want a blog?

What will the subject be?

Another important thing to discuss will be availability. The blogs need to be setup by hand so this will NOT be an openly available feature.

I am considering making the blogs a premium service, another option is to make the blogs have a free and a premium version with teh free version only available to blogs that pass a certain criteria (namely that it will be used and that my work to setup the blog won't be useless).

In any case there will be some free blogs. The criteria issues will be about how their availability are determined and what featres they will ahve.

So in short, would you want a blog? What would your blog be about? Do you already have a blog that you want to move here? How much should the premium blogs cost?

And what should discriminate premium blogs from free ones? Here are some ideas:

Ads vs. no ads.
The ability to host the blog with it's own domain name.
FTP access for complete control over the blog and design (basically blog + hosting).
Private photo albums.
Custom design etc.

So, tell me what you think bloggers (and future bloggers). I need to know how worthwhile of a project this is.

As is the case everywhere else on this site do not post links to your non-A2K blog here.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 829 • Replies: 16
No top replies

margo

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 08:57 pm
What's a blog?
What's in a blog?
Why are you using the Lil K Christmas avatar with underwire?
Why would I want a blog?
Do I want a blog?

iggerant in Sydney!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 09:05 pm
No blogs m'lady, at least not yet. Maybe when I gain coherence. No opinion on charging at this time.

All of the above may change.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 10:30 pm
ok - for photography for sure
ads ok - maybe
I think I'd want to link it together with a few other members.
A2K Photoclub
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 10:31 pm
oh and let me find you the backend I'd appreciate you using for gallery.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 11:45 pm
I'm with Margo. I'm completetly bloggin lost. I honestly don't understand what it is and the only thing that caught my eye was Private photo albums since I've already touched on that subject.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 07:18 am
What margo said.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 07:21 am
margo wrote:
What's a blog?
What's in a blog?
Why would I want a blog?
Do I want a blog?

iggerant in Sydney!

Blog is a corruption of the term "web log". Basically, it's an online diary or pages (collections) of content that change either daily or weekly. On google, you can enter the term blog and you'll get millions of hits. The top result is a place where you can put together a free basic blog.

Here on A2K, a blog would essentially be a collection of your topics on a particular subject (this is why they'd be forum-specific). For example, let's say you had a bunch of topics in Pets & Garden. Then it could be margo's Cat care blog.

So, if you want all of your stuff put together in a logical manner, you'd get a blog. And, to keep it up to date, it would probably be a good idea to occasionally either make new topics in the forum in question (in the example I'm giving, that would be Pets & Garden) or at least add posts to any preexisting topics collected in the blog. A blog with only very old information isn't going to be very interesting to read. I'm not saying that you must update on a daily basis but you'd probably want to update at least monthly if not weekly in order to keep the subject fresh.

PS Helfino why he's using lil k's Xmas avatar.

PPS If you have further questions, lemme know!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 07:43 am
Ok, I got it this time. Thanks Jes. Personally, I wouldn't use it.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 08:58 am
husker wrote:
oh and let me find you the backend I'd appreciate you using for gallery.

I saw that, I *really* didn't like that software. Plus I am probably not planning on creating individual albums with a whole different software for each album.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 09:00 am
I'm pretty sure nobody will use it, thing is, those who blog prolly already have lots of time and effort invested in their blogs.

But I have enough up my sleeve to make it interesting to anyone who wants to give it a try.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 10:52 am
To clarify, is all the writing you do on it to be from your a2k posts?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 10:55 am
Yes, the blog will be integrated into the forums. So the blog readers will respond in the threads posted.

Think of it like this:

Say I decide to have a web design blog. I'd make the code for the blog pull the topics I post in the web design forum.

The way it would work is not fundamentally different from the home page of A2K. Just the implementation would be different.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 12:12 pm
Ah. So.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 01:04 pm
Don't need a blog personally and wouldn't join one ... I think.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 01:34 pm
jespah wrote:
margo wrote:
What's a blog?
What's in a blog?
Why would I want a blog?
Do I want a blog?

iggerant in Sydney!

PS Helfino why he's using lil k's Xmas avatar.

Thanks, Jes....but - ...you failed on the most important question! Twisted Evil

I probably don't need a blog. :wink:
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 02:02 pm
I used blogspot for awhile for my political rants but stopped because I didn't find the software user-friendly enough for this brain.

Yes, I'd be interested.
0 Replies