jodie34

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 12:06 pm
Would like a receipe for Meat Loaf? I just make the basic one that my mom made? Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,158 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Wy

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 05:10 pm
Think about what you want it to taste like. Make your mom's basic recipe and add stuff.

If you add liquid, beef up the breadcrumbs/cracker crumbs/oatmeal (whatever you use) to keep it from being mushy. If you add dry ingredients, add a little milk/water/ketchup/bbq sauce (whatever) to keep it from falling apart.

Chpotle bbq sauce would be good... maybe with part of a packet of taco seasoning?

I have made it a bit fancy by putting half the meat in the pan, then putting a row of (peeled, of course) hardboiled eggs end-to-end down the middle. Put in the other half of the meat and seal it well around the edges.

When you slice the meatloaf, each slice will have a "bullseye" of HB egg in the middle.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 05:17 pm
I make meatloaf differently every time. I'm sure I've posted on it. There's also a meatloaf and gravy recipe from a now defunct restaurant, 72 Market Street, that is ... meatloaf for the gods, but requires more work than my usual interest. Plus they served it with perfect garlic mashed potatoes and fresh spinach. Waaaaaah! Now I'm hungry.

Back when I chase some links.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 05:20 pm
Ah, second only to biscuits and gravy, we're talking about the perfect comfort food.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 05:30 pm
I mix egg, progresso bread crumbs, spices, onion, and whatever else is laying around.

But I serve it over rice with tomato sauce on top.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 05:37 pm
Sounds good, Caribou, especially the tomato sauce. You forgot the meat, though.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 05:52 pm
Hi, Roger!

Yeah, yeah, meat. Isn't that a given?

Meat Loaf.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 06:20 pm
I like a lot of mustard mixed into mine.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 06:54 pm
Osso posted some meat loaf recipes here.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 06:56 pm
I just figured out I posted in the wrong thread, and am mid transferring them...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 06:59 pm
Did a search, it'll take me a bit to add all of them.

Here's a recipe Cav posted -

JAMIE KENNEDY'S MEATLOAF

3 slices white bread, crusts removed and cut into cubes.
4 tbsp. milk
1 Spanish onion, peeled and finely diced
2 tbsp. butter
1 lb. ground beef
1 lb. ground pork
2 eggs
2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsely
1/4 tsp. fresh-grated nutmeg
Salt and black pepper to taste
2 cups tomato sauce, pureed, if chunky.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Cook the tomato sauce over medium heat until reduced to a thick consistency, stirring frequently to avoid burning. Set aside to cool.

Put the bread in a mixing bowl and soak in the milk. Saute the onion in the butter until trasluscent and add to the bread mixture. Add the remaining meat loaf ingredients, except for the tomato sauce, mix well with your hands and transfer to a loaf pan.

Spread the reduced tomato sauce over the meatloaf and bake about 40 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 150 degrees.

At the restaurant, this was served with beef jus, sauteed potatoes and a colorful array of fancy vegetables.

And one I posted -

This last week I made meatloaf using a recipe in an old clipping of a column by Craig Claiborne and Pierre Franey. They gave recipes for Veal Meatballs with Tarragon, Pork Meatballs with Rosemary, and Beef Meatballs with Marjoram.

I had some ground pork, so I used that one - it has a tomato sauce described as well, but I skipped that.

Pork Meatballs (Meatloaf) With Rosemary

3/4 lb ground lean pork
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup finely chopped onion - I didn't have an onion, chopped 4 small shallots instead
1/2 teaspoon finely chopped garlic - I added three garlic cloves, chopped
1/4 pound mushrooms, finely chopped - I used button mushrooms this time, one could vary that. I coarsely chopped them.
1 teaspoon finely chopped rosemary - I took a sprig of rosemary from the garden and cut the leaves up coarsely.
Salt and pepper to taste.
1 cup of fine fresh bread crumbs - I used not very finely torn sourdough hearth bread that I keep for croutons or crumbs in the freezer.
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes. I used a good half teaspoon

Put ground pork in a mixing bowl.
Cook the onions (or shallots) and garlic in the olive oil until wilted. Add mushrooms, cook until they give up their liquid. Add the onion, garlic, mushroom mixture to the bowl, along with red pepper, salt and pepper to taste, bread crumbs, egg. Blend together by hand.

The recipe called for sauteing the meatballs in remaining olive oil and adding the tomato sauce. I put the mixture in a meatloaf pan instead (after adding the other two teaspoons of olive oil), put about 3/4 cup of water and a few tablespoons of marsala over the loaf.

I baked it at 375 til done, probably thirty minutes.

Boy, was that good

Those were from this thread -

http://www.able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=304439#304439

Back in a bit.

(next)

Here's the 72 Market Street Recipe. That gravy is really good, as is the meatloaf.

http://www.thatsmyhome.com/momsdiner/beef/market.htm

(next)

earlier meat loaf posts from me -

- homemade meat loaf (ground beef, sauteed chopped red onion and garlic, egg, bread crumbs, sundried tomato pesto, covered with dilute beef broth).
Lots left for sammiches.

- My meatloaves vary with what's on hand... This one did have garlic and chile pepper and basil and "italian herbs", s & p, plus eggs and bread crumbs. I don't use low fat content beef, but at least 15%; sometimes add fresh hot ital sausage, or just ground pork. Usually pour some water or stock over the meatloaf in the dish before it bakes.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 07:09 pm
@jodie34,
And of course, the famous Cheapo Meatloaf Progression:
1. Make meatloaf (any recipe). Make a lot.
2. Make something that goes over rice the next night. Keep some rice for the next day.
3. Break up leftover meatloaf, mix with a little leftover rice, a little tomato sauce, and use the mix to make Stuffed Green Peppers. Use a little more tomato sauce over the top, and again, plan to have some left over.
4. Give Yourself a Break and get takeout.
5. Last Appearance: Cut up the leftover peppers and throw them into a pot of any spaghetti sauce. Heat through and serve over pasta.

The three dishes are different enough that it doesn't seem like the same thing day after day.
0 Replies