Visiting dog won't eat

littlek

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 04:28 pm
I don't mind sitting on the floor at all.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 04:41 pm
McTag wrote:
MagicBlackCat wrote:
No, actually she is spot on with her weight for her size. Very trim in the rear with muscular front. Very well defined. Smile

That's good to learn. I was not sure about the "fed on demand" comment earlier.

my male dog prefers to free-feed. I had to switch him to regular meals when I got the female dog who'll hoover-eat around the clock.

She's lost weight on the regimen and he's gained it. He was much trimmer as a free-feeder.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 05:01 pm
That's interesting, ehBeth, that Bailey would gain while off the free feeding.

The first veterinarian I saw, a temp at a vet's office I came to respect greatly, told me that corgis are opportunistic eaters. So, I never tried the free feeding business with the Pacc. He liked his twice a day routine with not-many-but-occasional treats of the osso is cooking now variety, me ever watchful re doggie no-nos, and kept generally excellent weight for his rather unusual corgi size.

I've no idea if corgis are or aren't opportunistic eaters, never having followed up on asking about that with the major veterinarian at the practice.. who happened to have corgis.

Thinking.. I do now remember him going after Sallydog's food (Dys & Diane's dog). A simple NO! worked, though.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 05:31 pm
The vet said that Bailey would eat more once Cleo arrived, as he'd be concerned about getting "his" share.

As a free-feeder, he could just wander by, have a kibble or two and wander off - without worrying about another dog chowing down on the rest of the bowl after he wandered off.

Makes sense to me, as I invariably eat less and weigh less when I'm living on my own.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 08:55 pm
That's interesting too...
0 Replies

MagicBlackCat

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 10:46 pm
Hubby had a corgi mix dog and he was a free feeder. He didn't have any weight issues either. Smartest dog I've ever met.

littlek - I don't do the floor thing as I have bad knees and it's tough to get up. You must have loved your baby very much. Sounds like you have some great memories with your boxer. Smile
0 Replies