Floating Opinion- Not conforming.

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 09:06 am
I see so many people endless political and philosophical debates that can never reach any objective conclusion. Although clever logical arguments may have more persuasive power and appeal to the highly valued human faculty of reason, such an argument may be impotent against the spirit of a highly passionate person who objectively believes in different causes.

A clash of opinions is (in my observation!) more of a clash of identities than a match of objective realities. Opinions may be ranked in a scale of logic, but this proves only that certain opinions are more logical than others, not that they hold any more value.

Thus my decision to remain indecisive. Or rather 'float' through other people's opinions, try to understand their stance, and remain non-judgemental.
I feel that this way, if or when I eventually DO arrive at opinions I believe so strongly in I can almost call them objective, then they'll be deep opinions. They'll be from my root, rather than from my influences.
My only problem now is that I need a name for my new stance, so I can change my facebook profile.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 661 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 09:57 am
Call it what you want, but when a someone gives a statement and backs it up with "because I know, I just know... I feel it" that person is, in my book, disqualified from participation in reachin an objective conclusion.

That person would be unable to accept any objective conclusion anyway, unless it was his personal conclusions that were transferred in whole to the status "objective".
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 12:03 am
"Floating" is as good a word as any. Other suggestions : searching, accepting, empathic, multi-path, curious path etc
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 09:09 am
I feel sorry for anyone who makes rigid conclusions. Truth and fact are not the same. There was a time that a commonly held truth was that women were too stupid to vote. Aren't you glad that the majority "floated?"

I firmly support floating. Float around until you find a truth that works for your soul; not just one that you like, but one that your universal soul finds to be the most truthful. Stick with it, but if it doesn't work for you, discard it and float around for another.

The alternative is to unnaturally force truths upon yourself by accepting "truths" from someone else's interpretation, much like what happens in organized religion.

Locking yourself into truth is a great way to miss new truths as they reveal themselves.

The best advice I ever got was; if you are trying a truth and its not working, discard it and find another. For instance. Let's say you are looking for your keys before you leave the house. Your known truth is that you placed them on the coffee table and that's where they should be, but they aren't. You've looked a thousand times. Your choice is to either hold fast to your truth and continue looking on the coffee table, or discard your truth and look elsewhere as well. Chances are, discarding your truth will lead to success and thereby supplant a new, more viable truth in its place

However impossible it might seem, discarding the truth you THINK you have been given often leads to one of two things; 1) that you discover your initial truth was correct and it has been re-affirmed. (i.e. you went back to the coffee table and found your keys) or- 2) that a greater truth exists and that you only could have discovered it by "floating."

Refusal to float is the bain of the conservative mind. Excessive floating is the comedy of a desperately impressionable mind. Find balance grasshopper

Your new name shall be: Switzerland
0 Replies

existential potential

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 02:14 pm
A simpler way of putting it is to not blindly accept what other people call "truth". So instead of mindlessly agreeing with someone elses opinion, you do your own research in order to discover what you can conclude from what you find. Obviously "truth" has no objective basis on such a view: "refusal to float is the brain of the conservative mind. Excessive floating is the comedy of a desperately impressionable mind." I do not think that refusal to "float", is simply a sign of the conservative mind, there must come a point it some peoples lives where they feel no "floating" is necessary anymore.

"Locking yourself into truth is a great way to miss new truths as they reveal themselves."

I do not like the way in which you talk about truth in this sentence. you might as well be saying that we should never lock ourselves into any sort of "truth", rather we should just "float" our entire lives. imagine the uncertainty of never locking yourself in a truth. the idea of "locking" oneself in truth sounds negative and restricting, so what are we supposed to do, "float" forever!?
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 02:15 pm
science will end all debate
0 Replies

existential potential

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 02:42 pm
I do not think floating should equate to indecision thus floating is:

having a readiness to change one's mind, however not in an indecisive manner, but rather in a considered manner. One considers what they believe to be the "truth" of a matter, by looking at all that is involved with that particular issue. This could simply be described as "open-mindedness", or "free-thinking". it is just a critical approach to what you believe.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 06:24 pm
existential potential wrote:
A simpler way of putting it is to not blindly accept what other people call "truth". So instead of mindlessly agreeing with someone elses opinion, you do your own research in order to discover what you can conclude from what you find. Obviously "truth" has no objective basis on such a view: "refusal to float is the brain of the conservative mind. Excessive floating is the comedy of a desperately impressionable mind." I do not think that refusal to "float", is simply a sign of the conservative mind, there must come a point it some peoples lives where they feel no "floating" is necessary anymore.

"Locking yourself into truth is a great way to miss new truths as they reveal themselves."

I do not like the way in which you talk about truth in this sentence. you might as well be saying that we should never lock ourselves into any sort of "truth", rather we should just "float" our entire lives. imagine the uncertainty of never locking yourself in a truth. the idea of "locking" oneself in truth sounds negative and restricting, so what are we supposed to do, "float" forever!?

I did say:
Quote:
I feel that this way, if or when I eventually DO arrive at opinions I believe so strongly in I can almost call them objective, then they'll be deep opinions. They'll be from my root, rather than from my influences.

Thats the reason to float- until i find something deep inside me which I can call 'objective truth' If such a thing exists or will ever be found.
0 Replies