Posts not marking as read?

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 10:21 am
Recently, posts haven't been marked as 'read' after I've read them, instead remaining a pleasing yet non-informational orange. Is this a known bug?

Cheers
Cycloptichorn
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,483 • Replies: 9
No top replies

JPB

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 10:33 am
this thread in no longer orange.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 10:41 am
It is for me.

Running FF3

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 10:44 am
FF 2.0.0.16
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 10:50 am
Are you going back to access the new posts list?

For example, you're on "new posts," you see something interesting, you click on it and read it, then you use the back arrow to return to "new posts"...

In that case, it may appear as unread even if it has been.

If you click on "new posts" anew, though, it should be fine.

I haven't had any problems.

(And of course once JPB responded, that meant there was an unread post since yours and the icon would turn orange again...)
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 11:14 am
sozobe wrote:
Are you going back to access the new posts list?

For example, you're on "new posts," you see something interesting, you click on it and read it, then you use the back arrow to return to "new posts"...

In that case, it may appear as unread even if it has been.

If you click on "new posts" anew, though, it should be fine.

I haven't had any problems.

(And of course once JPB responded, that meant there was an unread post since yours and the icon would turn orange again...)

Nope, not going back, but clicking on the 'politics' link to get back to the forum. Also, when I make a new post, that post is reported as 'new' instead of 'read' like it used to.

Interestingly enough, the 'report' button also doesn't load for me. Every other graphic on the page does but that one.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 11:18 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Also, when I make a new post, that post is reported as 'new' instead of 'read' like it used to.Cycloptichorn

I've noticed that too unless I wait my my new post to actually open up in the browser after I post it.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 11:22 am
JPB wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Also, when I make a new post, that post is reported as 'new' instead of 'read' like it used to.Cycloptichorn

I've noticed that too unless I wait my my new post to actually open up in the browser after I post it.

It didn't used to do that.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 11:24 am
right
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 04:14 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Not sure if you already found the answer elsewhere, but this there's basically no read tracking yet.

The color change is just the usual browser "visited" feature (and on most browsers it won't change till the page is in your browser history), the old site didn't have different colors for it at all, this one's more or less like the cnn typography.

In any case, real read tracking is yet to be solved.

Edit: orange underline just means post date > your last login date.

The old site would combine that with read tracking (only within your session and imperfect) to remove the orange icon and add it back.

We held off in case we decide to do it perfectly instead of the old way's shortcut. Though I have to admit the old way's ease on the coders is appealing right now.
0 Replies