Moose Babies playing in a sprinkler

littlek

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 10:30 am
http://www.maniacworld.com/twin-baby-moose-in-sprinkler.html

This is one of the cutest things ever. I have only seen moose standing and looking stoic. I've never seen them playing.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,712 • Replies: 20
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 10:42 am
Someone else posted that recently -- so adorable. And the pacing is great too. "Aw, it's a baby moose. Wow, it's another baby moose!! Wow, it's their mom too!!!"
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 10:46 am
I don't often send links to faraway friends, but I did send that one. Little low on plot development, but I could watch it all day.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 10:51 am
Already posted? How'd I miss it?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 10:54 am
proof positive that kids are kids, no matter the species
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 01:41 pm
I posted it on Edgars "youtube comedy" thread. Its really cool no? I love Allison Kraus' voice also,
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 02:42 pm
I always thought of moose more like cows than horses. This video reversed my mind.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 04:32 pm
littlek wrote:
I always thought of moose more like cows than horses. This video reversed my mind.

The Europeans call them elk. What we call elk, they call deer. Them Europeans is just weird . . .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 05:23 pm
about 10 years ago, the Torontonians had a collection of resin moosen. They were all over the city for some reason and then they sold the moosen to the (I dont know who). These were very colorfully painted moose done up by the canadian artists who, after emerging from their dens in late winter , were probably all suffering from pent up colormyopathy.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 08:05 pm
We've had a couple of those art movements here. Or maybe I should one of them a moovement. First there were painted cows in Boston, then there were painted whales on the cape. Some went farther than paint and did dioramas and mosaics.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 08:30 pm
Setanta wrote:
littlek wrote:

The Europeans call them elk. What we call elk, they call deer. Them Europeans is just weird . . .

we were first!

though i think a deer is just a deer...dunno what you people call elk, but your deer and our deer are remarkably alike. what's the difference between your deer and your elk?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 09:06 pm
So I'm a fan of the Frugal Traveler on the NYT site. This last week he was in the Harz Mountains in Germany and, as part of his photos, showed a sign with what is to me a moose, although it could also have been one of our locals, a Roosevelt Elk.

Lots of snortling from the peanut gallery ensued. I'm glad to find out much of that was language barrier.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 09:11 pm
Moose
http://homepage.univie.ac.at/horst.prillinger/blog/p3/moose-1.jpg

Elk
http://wdfw.wa.gov/wlm/living/graphics/elk1.jpg

Deer
http://www.statesymbolsusa.org/IMAGES/Pennsylvania/deer_usda-380.jpg
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 09:22 pm
Sob

los

jelen

(don't know what them english speaking europeans would call them, but we slovaks are refined enough to have a distinctive term for each of the antlered prettyboy. Females have totally different names, of course).
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 09:28 pm
Hmmm... male-female.....

I know deer is deer with buck being male and doe being female (fawn being a baby). Elk and moose (I had to look this up) are elk and moose, the male being a bull elk/moose, the female being a cow and babies being calves.

Now I have to look up caribou

http://homestudy.ihea.com/wildlifeID/fws_caribou.jpg
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 09:33 pm
caribou are too cool.

Let a whole herd slowly pass in front of me idling rig once....

(sorry to intrude with no pix)

Confused
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 09:47 pm
That video is cute!

The moose family seems completely comfortable and at home in this backyard! It's so nice to watch. I only hope that moose are okay when they lose their fear of humans. I know it's a big problem when it happens to bears.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 10:00 pm
I was a few feet from a Roosevelt elk herd in Orick once. Yes, I took a picture, but you know me and scanner tharn. I failed to order elkburger at nearby restaurant. I'm not a vegie.t but that's not what I wanted for lunch, and before the fern road to the beach.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 10:02 pm
I'll admit surprise that elk live in New Mexico. I think of them as from northern climes. Still learning, pass me that file.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 06:47 am
dagmaraka wrote:
Setanta wrote:
littlek wrote:

we were first!

though i think a deer is just a deer...dunno what you people call elk, but your deer and our deer are remarkably alike. what's the difference between your deer and your elk?

As far as i know, the hunting laws, and the size of the animals.

Caribou and reindeer is the same critter, too, on different sides of the pond.
0 Replies