Do Hurricanes help shape the US East Coast?

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 12:19 pm
The shape of the US coast from Florida to the Virginias looks like it might be worn down from repeaded exposure to Hurricanes.

Is there any evidence to this conjecture, or is it just a visual coincidence?

http://antares.csi.lsu.edu/demos/noaa/hurricanes/hugo.gif

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/akq/MAPHURRW.gif

Thanks,
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 5,319 • Replies: 15
No top replies

neil

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 03:30 pm
New off shore islands are produced in shallow water and other tiny islands change shape or are down graded to reefs when very large hurricanes approach. Larger islands and mainland changes are typically a wider or narrower beach. Neil
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 08:02 am
Here's a fun applet for getting hurricane track information: http://www.rsmas.miami.edu/~geoff/hurrframe-yr.html
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 11:22 am
Certainly Cape Cod has been re-shaped by storms. Cuts through the outer beaches, chunks of mainland falling to the beaches below. I have a cool photo of a road that just ended at a sandy cliff 50' high.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 07:28 pm
Hi LittleK,

Yeh, I guess I knew about the small scale erosion of islands and capes and stuff. I was more wondering about the real large scale shape of the coast around Georgia and Florida.

Your picture of the Cape sounds great though. Smile Any chance you can post it?

Best Regards,
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 07:49 pm
Hurricanes move quite a bit of sand around so I'd guess they do help to some extent. Beach is either eroded or deposited pretty quickly in some areas.

The area shown in the pinkish hue on this map should be the area most affected.

http://topex.ucsd.edu/marine_topo/gif_topo_track/topo8.gif
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 08:03 pm
Interesting map Fishin.

The pink layer is fairly even along all coasts. But the only area which is a darker red is right along the section of coast I was wondering about.

What does this map show exactly? Is it depth/height, or material composition?

Best Regards,
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 08:07 pm
Oh sorry, I guess I should have explained the map a little. It's a topo of the Atlantic Ocean's floor. The pinkish is the shallow coastal waters. The blue is deeper water which wouldn't get as churned up by the big storms.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 08:07 pm
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UgApA*wZvFnXfFI2OojzG8UovbHkArRuuom4hgZDScLQRyCLzGgBttaRVT5i0Q0IOjbrvotdgmP05q!Oin*5JmU3pQ9Di0r01QKb25EY1Kh1lkmDphHa2RLYJiA!fn1G/BeachRoadEndCoastGaurd.jpg?dc=4675312119767830048

It's kind of hard to see exactly what's going on, but you get the idea.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 08:17 pm
LittleK,

Yeh, it looks like what some people expect will happen to California one day Wink

Fishin,

If it's a Topo, then it would seem that a layer of "pink" has been removed right around Georgia. I don't see any other similar "erosion" elsewhere in the image.

It might be evidence for what I suspect, but it could also be a coincidence I guess. I'm not sure.

Thanks,
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 09:19 pm
i know that pic of that road littleK, just past nauset lighthouse.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 09:21 pm
Once I thought I saw you
in a crowded hazy bar,
Dancing on the light
from star to star.
Far across the moonbeam
I know that's who you are,
I saw your brown eyes
turning once to fire.

You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.

hope ya don't mind a little singin' here . . .
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 09:24 pm
mikey wrote:
i know that pic of that road littleK, just past nauset lighthouse.

If you know the picture, you know it from my little website. It is indeed just past Nauset light (or one of those lighthouses that they keep having to move because the land is falling into the ocean).
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 09:42 pm
we go up that road almost daily,,,,,you can hook a left and follow the dirt road around til you get to the highest point of the dunes, where the seashore fire road starts that leads to marconi. it's chained off but you can get by it if you really want to and know how,,,,
familiar ground, great picture K.
0 Replies

Chung

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 02:38 pm
Re: Do Hurricanes help shape the US East Coast?
rosborne979 wrote:
The shape of the US coast from Florida to the Virginias looks like it might be worn down from repeaded exposure to Hurricanes.

Is there any evidence to this conjecture, or is it just a visual coincidence?

http://antares.csi.lsu.edu/demos/noaa/hurricanes/hugo.gif

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/akq/MAPHURRW.gif

Thanks,

I found this forum while Googling for something else. I'll try to keep the facts generalized, and the geologic details to a minimum in my reply...

Ocean waves [in general] transfer energy to a depth of one-half of their wavelength (lambda). Coastlines tend to have some curvature, and the tidal basin just offshore tends to be comprised of a concave-upward surface. As a result of all of this, incoming waves experience drag on the tidal basin and shoreline and are subsequently refracted. Since we are dealing with curved features, waves rarely crash ashore in a straight line.

As waves do crash ashore, and sediment [sands, shells, etc.] are picked up and erosion occurs. Next time you are at the beach, watch how the dirty wave rolls up the beach and curves, or drifts, slightly along the beach as it falls back toward the ocean. This effect occurs all along the wave fronts that are striking at olbique angles due to the curvilinear nature of shoreline. This sequential pattern of wave front striking, rolling out, and falling back to the ocean creates a migrating sheet of sand along the beach. This erosional process is commonly referred as Longshore Drift:

http://www4.ncsu.edu/eos/users/c/ceknowle/public/chapter12/graphics12/fig1214.gif

On the beach-scale, wind waves do sculpt the geometry of the beach all the time. Build a seawall perpendicular to the beach and you find sand piling up on one side of it in one season. Build a dam upstream of a river that is supplying sand for the beach, and in a few years the beach starts to thin out. With a hurricane, yes the wind waves are much larger, and half-lambda will be much deeper. However, the amount of rainfall inland will generate flooding and transport of immense quantities of sediment that a hurricane would displace at the beach. Off-setting erosional processes.

At the seaboard-scale, plate tectonics is the main process at work. Referring to Fishin's image of the topography of the mid-Atlantic Basin, note the location and geometry of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge. That is where sea-floor spreading has been occurring for about 250 million years or so. Mentally piece together the southeast coast of the United States to the northwest coast of the African Continent. Use the fracture traces and the Mid-Atlantic Ridge as a guide. You will see that the whole Eastern Seaboard fits quite well with Africa and parts of southern Europe:

http://www.lonlygunmen.de/natur/erde/pangea/pangea.jpg

I'll refrain from discussing the mountain building event that created the Appalachian Mountains. However, check this easy-to-follow graphic:

www.wm.edu/geology/virginia/tectonic_history.html

Now, back to hurricanes. What hurricanes will affect are areas of recent deposition in what would normally be in calm, shallow sedimentary basins. The Mississippi Delta and the Gulf of Mexico, for example. Deltas are loosely classified into two main groups: wave-dominated and tide-dominated. Some distributaries and mouth bars will be completely destroyed, let alone re-arranged. Channels clogged with sediment recently deposited by a storm surge will be forced to jump-channel [avulsion], and create a new distributary channel. This change in coastal geometry would be noticable at a pretty large scale, such as a view from an airliner cruising at an altitude of 30,000 feet.

Wordy, I know. Rolling Eyes

Hope it helps though! If there is one take-away from all this it is:

Geology is scale-dependant.[/u]
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 10:35 am
Re: Do Hurricanes help shape the US East Coast?
Chung wrote:
Wordy, I know. Rolling Eyes

Hope it helps though! If there is one take-away from all this it is:

Geology is scale-dependant.[/u]

So, if I understand all this, you're saying the answer to the question is, "No, Hurricanes don't affect the shape of the US Coastline".

Welcome to A2K by the way, and thanks for your detailed input. Smile

Best Regards,
0 Replies