Wilson's Kanahooka, Australia

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 10:15 am
I'm fascinated by the name of the city in which Wilson lives: Kanahooka, Australia. I tried to find some history of Kanahooka, but found little, only the following: http://216.239.41.104/search?q=cache:PLa_IQ2aM2MJ:members.ozemail.com.au/~powerbbs/history.htm+Kanahooka,+Au

Wilson, can you tell us more about your home place?

---BumbleBeeBoogie
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,712 • Replies: 11
No top replies

margo

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 01:44 am
Kanahooka's a nice little suburb of Wollongong, just over an hour south of Sydney, on the shores of, I think, Lake Illawawarra.

I'm sure Wilso would be happy to tell more - I've only driven through it once, on a mission for chocolate (couldn't find any at his local shops Shocked ) while travelling to Kiama, a bit further south. Saw the turn-off, decided to take it, couldn't find chocolate, didn't know where Wilso lived, got back in car and kept right on driving! Confused
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 02:02 am
Wilso doesn't seem to be around just now.
A trawl of the Anzwers search engine retrieves a bit more:
Anzwers Kanahooka search

Here's the Webwombat search:
Kanahooka on WebWombat

GoEureka didn't retrieve anything much.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 02:09 am
Not much more to tell than Margo just did. I can see Lake Illawarra from my back yard (and a bit of it from the front yard). When they're running it's got the best prawns in the world.

Kanahooka basically consists of a small point jutting into the western shore of the lake.

I'll see what else I can find out. Doesn't take much imagination to realise the name is Aboriginal in origin.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 02:12 am
Kanahooka was named after Kana (King) Hooka, an Aboriginal chief. Kana Hooka was head of the Five Islanders, who were based near Hooka Creek at what is now Berkeley. The Aborigines referred to Kanahooka as "Kullillah", meaning a native meeting place.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 02:48 am
http://www.fishinternet.com.au/~nswptca/clubs/KoBSC/images/BOS-KoBSC1.jpg

Koonawarra sailing club, at the end of Kanahooka road.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 02:51 am
Not a lot on the web about Kanahooka. It's not a very big place. So small in fact that a letter sent to my address in Dapto will also get here!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 04:51 am
Couldn't find any chocolate Margo? How's that possible. Was you looking for something special.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 09:48 am
Wilson and Margo
Wilson and Margo, the information is enticing and I loved the photos of the sail boats.

I enjoy hearing about places off the beaten track, the history of the towns and the people who live there. Its a wonderful break from the worries of the world.

Thanks for giving us a peaceful moment and a yen for chocolate.

---BumbleBeeBoogie Very Happy
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 01:22 pm
Timing, Wilso, timing!

Easter Sunday morning. Only one shop open. Not selling chocolates of any sort.

Aaaerrrgggghhh!!!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 06:35 am
Surely the service stations were open. There's one at the end of Fowlers Road at the turn back onto the Princes Hwy. I didn't think it ever closed.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 06:36 am
BBB, not exactly a "city" this.
0 Replies