the importance of a father figure.

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 10:18 am
In my experience having a father figure, as being someone who you can look up to for advice, guidance, have respect for, and maybe a health fear of has always been lacking. I cannot imagine having such a figure to look to, to idolise almost. I think I fully realise, in terms of the lack of a respectable father figure, why I am the way that I am, and for a long time I think half the reason I perused anything was because I was looking someone else to idolise, to respect and mimic in a sense.And I think because of this I never persisted with anything at length, but now I understand this, at least for myself, and I am beginning to approach things in different ways.

There are more and more broken families in the UK today than ever before, so this is pretty relevant. I was wondering if anyone out there is familiar with this, the lack of a father figure, and a strong family. For me personally, I can see the pros and the cons.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,049 • Replies: 9
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 09:13 am
I read something the other day that said "The hard part is not knowing if anything would have been different...."

So yeah, while I think having a father is important, my thoughts are mostly based on how important my own father was. Some people have crappy fathers so life might have been much worse if they "figured" into their lives.

I looked up some info on the Big Brothers and Sisters program. It's a mentoring program for at risk kids. Having a positive role model does seem to make a difference:

(This didn't transfer over very well so I highlighted the main points to make it easier (I hope) to read.)

Personally, I don't see any "pro" side to not having a strong father figure/mentor/role model.

Quote:
With regard to antisocial behaviors, compared with control group youths,

BBBS youths were 46 percent less likely to initiate illegal drug use.

Analyzed separately, boys were 55 percent less likely to initiate illegal drug use.

When examined by racial/ethnic group, no significant differences were found for whites, but minority boys were 68 percent less likely to start using illegal drugs.

No significant differences were found for girls as a group, or for white girls as a subgroup. Minority girls were 73 percent less likely to initiate illegal drug use, a difference that was marginally statistically significant.

BBBS youths were 27 percent less likely to initiate alcohol use, a marginally significant difference.

No significant differences were found for either boys or girls as individual groups, or for minority boys or white boys or girls.

Minority girls were 54 percent less likely to initiate alcohol use than were control group girls, a difference that was marginally significant.

BBBS youths were 32 percent less likely to hit someone.

No significant differences were found for boys as a group or for minority boys as a subgroup. However, white boys in BBBS were marginally less likely to hit someone than were white boys in the control group.

Girls overall were less likely to hit someone, a difference that was marginally significant, but no significant differences were found for either minority girls or white girls as subgroups.

No significant effects were found for the BBBS group as a whole or for any of the subgroups for theft, property damage, involvement in fights, cheating on tests, being sent to the principal's office, or smoking.

With regard to academic outcomes, compared with control group participants,

BBBS youths attained slightly higher grade point averages (GPAs), with average GPAs of 2.71 versus 2.63, a difference that was marginally significant.
No significant differences were found for boys as a whole, or for minority boys or white boys as subgroups.

Girls who participated in BBBS attained significantly higher GPAs than did the comparison girls, with an average GPA of 2.84 versus an average of 2.67.

Differences in GPAs were marginally significant for minority girls in BBBS, who had an average GPA of 2.83 compared with an average of 2.62 for control group girls.

No effects were found for white girls.

BBBS youths were 52 percent less likely to skip a day of school.

No significant differences were found for boys as a whole, or for minority boys or white boys as subgroups.

Girls who participated in BBBS skipped 84 percent fewer days of school than did control group girls.

Effects were significant for both minority girls (78 percent fewer days skipped) and white girls (90 percent fewer days skipped).
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 09:45 am
Can a transgendered male ( female-> male) be a father figure?
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 04:43 pm
male
female
????
dominant
submissive

gender matters not.

Yeah father figures are important. Without them you get people like me who are their own role model.

not kidding.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 04:58 pm
Because I had no adequate father figure in my life, I selected an author, whom I never met or corresponded with, for my father figure. While not a wholly satisfactory solution, it did help.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 07:07 pm
What if you have a powerful father figure, who you look up to and admire, without realizing that he is actually not a good person? I worry about this because of my husband's father, who to me is like this malignant force in my husband's life... He was such a screwed-up, abusive, and angry person, who my husband and his family persist in seeing as basically good.

I don't know what's worse in that sort of situation...whatever good he did in being in his children's lives seems so counter-balanced by all the hidden damage he did... I can't help but think my husband and his brothers would have been better off with no father figure than an emotionally abusive tyrant that they percieve as a good guy. Confused
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 12:20 am
Miller wrote:
Can a transgendered male ( female-> male) be a father figure?

That depends upon whether
the child figure chooses to accept that person as such.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 12:25 am
cyphercat wrote:
What if you have a powerful father figure, who you look up to and admire, without realizing that he is actually not a good person? I worry about this because of my husband's father, who to me is like this malignant force in my husband's life... He was such a screwed-up, abusive, and angry person, who my husband and his family persist in seeing as basically good.

I don't know what's worse in that sort of situation...whatever good he did in being in his children's lives seems so counter-balanced by all the hidden damage he did... I can't help but think my husband and his brothers would have been better off with no father figure than an emotionally abusive tyrant that they percieve as a good guy. Confused

Altho I have a very low opinion of tyrants, especially the abusive ones,
we must realize that every person has the right to judge for himself
who is good or bad. In addition, everyone has the individual right
to decide whether or not to forgive.

People see things differently; that happens a lot.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 12:35 am
edgarblythe wrote:

Because I had no adequate father figure in my life, I selected an author,
whom I never met or corresponded with, for my father figure. While not a
wholly satisfactory solution, it did help.

Other than possible financial considerations, I don 't think u misssed much, Ed.
I had a father in my life into adulthood
until he asked me for a lift to Idlewild Airport.
He objected that I over-insured him.
In retro-spect, I guess he was right.

He had some good qualities.
It never occurred to me to let that influence me.
Tho we were always peaceful, I did not see eye-to-eye with him.

In running my life from day to day,
having a father figure never came into my mind.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 01:07 am
Re: the importance of a father figure.
existential potential wrote:

In my experience having a father figure, as being someone who you can
look up to for advice, guidance, have respect for,

A lot depends on how much u esteem
your natural father 's ability to reason and his experience
concerning the subject matter of the advice.
I think that u will be better off finding an expert in the relevant subject.
MY natural father was around thru out my childhood,
but offhand, I don 't remember asking his advice about anything.

Quote:

and maybe a health fear of has always been lacking.
I cannot imagine having such a figure to look to, to idolise almost.

Y woud u IDOLIZE your natural father,
unless of course u deemed him to be an extraordiary man.

I held George Washington and Herbert Philbrick in the highest esteem.

Quote:

I think I fully realise, in terms of the lack of a respectable father figure,
why I am the way that I am, and for a long time I think half the reason
I perused anything was because I was looking someone else to idolise,

Y do u feel a need for idolatry ?
What good comes from THAT ?

Quote:

to respect and mimic in a sense.

Most respectfully, may I suggest
that u make your personal decisions
upon the basis of careful rational analysis
after considering all relevant factors
and endeavoring to foresee, to calculate, as well as possible,
all possible results thereof ?

Quote:

And I think because of this I never persisted with anything at length,
but now I understand this, at least for myself, and I am beginning
to approach things in different ways.

I respectfully suggest that u run your life
for your own best interests.

Quote:

There are more and more broken families in the UK today than ever before,
so this is pretty relevant. I was wondering if anyone out there is familiar with this,
the lack of a father figure, and a strong family.
For me personally, I can see the pros and the cons.

When my father left, I was rather pleased.
Tho our relations were always peaceful, we did not see eye-to-eye.
Some families have had so much strife that fathers have murdered sons
(that happened on the corner of my block, about 40 years ago) and vice-versa.

U might have been better off as u were.

David
0 Replies