Noah's Ark

spendius

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 05:02 pm
I hope nobody reads that in 3000 years.

It might well be possible to die from laughing even then.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 05:03 pm
Pompousness will remain dangerous until Nelson gets his eye back.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 05:05 pm
Hopefully, in 3000 years, nobody will seriously entertain the tale of Noah's Ark. I would hope the futility of believing mythical stories will be self evident to all by then.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 05:18 pm
Why "hopefully" Ed.

Why do you care? I don't two fakirs what they think in 3000 years.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 05:23 pm
I care very much how humans turn out, now and future. I don't have a book of magic to sooth my concerns.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 06:35 pm
spendi
Quote:
There's a certain disrespect for our forbears on this thread which I find a trifle distasteful in the absence of a disrespect for ourselves. As if we are some special slice of humanity superior to all others.

"My car may not be faster than yours, but its in front of yours"

So, the deeper "respect" for our forebears that you wish to embrace really would ring hollow if we didnt build upon what they left us and if we didnt try to go on farther. To sit there trapped in time may be something that spendi admires but thats a neolithic mindset if Ive ever heard one.
History is more than compiling dates and events, and sitting in awe, its an analysis of lessons that we should have learned and why we keep doing them despite.

Drink your sudes spendi, itll make you feel like your thoughts are worth paying attention to.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 09:11 pm
Nelson lost part of his right arm, but he never lost an eye. He very slowly lost the vision in one eye from the time he was wounded during his campaign against Corsica in 1794, but he still had that eye on the day he died of wounds, October 21, 1805.

Spurious doesn't just post pointless drivel, he manages to f*ck up the irrelevant crap he tries to claim has any significance.

To the list of things that Spurious obviously doesn't know **** about, which includes but is not limited to history in general, the Merovingians, the legal system in the United States, the manner in which schools are organized and funded in the United States, jurisprudence in the United States, and anything remotely related to science--we can add the life of Horatio Nelson.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 11:14 pm
Setanta wrote:

Spurious doesn't just post pointless drivel, he manages to f*ck up the irrelevant crap he tries to claim has any significance.

Warm beer, rain and a lack of bathing will do that to you.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 04:12 am
not to mention a disdain of dental hygiene by the lower classes Smile
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 05:54 am
fm wrote-

Quote:
Drink your sudes spendi, itll make you feel like your thoughts are worth paying attention to.

You've done that fm. So has Ed. So has Chai. So has Settin' Aah-aah. So has dadpad. Not me though. Why do you continually say that nobody pays any attention to what I say when the evidence is directly contrary to that and it would be pointless being on A2K to act like that. Remarks of that nature are pointless.

Is that what you say everytime you have no answers. Bit girly innit? And what exactly does "go further" mean. You sound like Mr Obama with that tripe.

I pay attention to the thoughts of others. I've no choice.

I do admire being born in time thinking. I feel primitive because I am primitive.

Quote:
So, the deeper "respect" for our forebears that you wish to embrace really would ring hollow if we didnt build upon what they left us and if we didnt try to go on farther.

That's pure materialism. It assumes there's such a thing as progress when really there is only destiny. You have read ci's Einstein quote haven't you?

And I didn't say that I embraced a deep respect for our forbears. You can't read. Do you unconsciously modify everything you see to fit what you want. I've always found that sort of thing a symptom of an inferiority complex.

I'm sorry for using the expression "when Nelson gets his eye back." It's an English idiom for something that will never happen. I never expected some pedantic twit to use it as an excuse to blare out some stuff from a history book.

Settin' Aah-aah wrote-

Quote:
To the list of things that Spurious obviously doesn't know **** about, which includes but is not limited to history in general, the Merovingians, the legal system in the United States, the manner in which schools are organized and funded in the United States, jurisprudence in the United States, and anything remotely related to science--we can add the life of Horatio Nelson.

Same old stuff old boy. It's a claim to be an expert in those subjects.

Jeeze Settin' -- you haven't a scientific bone in your body. You are pure subjectivity. Your every thought is congruent with your perception of your self interest which is itself subjective and cock-eyed.

I know that the Merovingian-Carolingian era (500-900) led out of its primitive expression forms, its mystical symbolisms and its naive imitations into the Gothic (900-1500) and that its inner feeling is still alive today wherever there is a genuine peasantry. (Chucking out time on Friday nights in city centres for example). It's a pre-cultural expression with equivalents in the Egyptian Thinite period (3400-3000), the Mycenean in the Classical ( 1700-1600), and the Selucid period in the Persian.

The Courts of Love, the Romance of the Rose and all that funny stuff you know nothing about Settin' but which the Gothic Christian adjusted so that you could enjoy certain things in the Civilization period and not notice the exhaustion of ideas to such an extent that you actually think the quote above is brimming with ideas and creativity which it isn't. In fact you haven't a creative bone in your body either and you think that spouting arrogant simplicities is a substitute for what is necessary to get one. It may kid the folks around you but it doesn't kid me.

I recommend Braudel, Spengler and Flaubert's Salammbo if you want to get scientific about bloody dead history.

Superficial learning is a dangerous thing you know.

Nelson is no hero in my book. Had he never been born somebody else would have had his job and from I've read there were plenty at the time who sincerely wished somebody else had had.

Why don't you tell us all about these things you claim others don't know a **** about. Enough of negativity.

Bob Dylan wrote-

Quote:
When you're lost in the rain in Juarez
And it's Eastertime too
And your gravity fails
And negativity don't pull you through
Don't put on any airs
When you're down on Rue Morgue Avenue
They got some hungry women there
And they really make a mess outa you.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 06:14 am
Is there a hole for me to get sick in?
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 07:27 am
Setanta wrote:
yitwail wrote:
Set, to give the Bible its due, this story may have some basis in fact. An actual family might have evaded a flash flood by loading all its belongings, including livestock, on a large vessel, and their adventure subsequently embellished into a myth. But as an explanation for the evidence of mass extinctions in the fossil record, it falls far short.

Cassius says (according to Billy Bob Shakespeare): "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves, that we are underlings."

The problem here is not that the story may be an embellishment of an earlier legendary account of a significant flood (there are several candidates for the "honor"). The problem is that the bible-thumpers insist that the account--a confused, repetitive and contradictory story which also happens to be preposterous--is an actual, factual account of an event which not only took place, but in which the entire planet was flooded. It is the insistence upon swallowing whole a horseshit story as "gospel truth" simply because it appears in scripture to which i object, and i object upon the basis of the glaring implausibility.

quite true, but to my knowledge, the majority of professed Christians are not literalists, at least not worldwide; nonetheless, in the US the literalists make disproportionate noise, not to mention voting as a bloc on selected issues, which gives them disproportionate political clout.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 09:58 am
yitwail wrote:
quite true, but to my knowledge, the majority of professed Christians are not literalists, at least not worldwide; nonetheless, in the US the literalists make disproportionate noise, not to mention voting as a bloc on selected issues, which gives them disproportionate political clout.

I almost agree with this. What gives the holy rollers disproportionate political clout is the apathy of every other category of voter. If all voters trooped to the polls in the same numbers as the holy rollers do, their lunatic fringe agenda would quickly get buried.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 10:03 am
Setanta wrote:
yitwail wrote:

I almost agree with this. What gives the holy rollers disproportionate political clout is the apathy of every other category of voter. If all voters trooped to the polls in the same numbers as the holy rollers do, their lunatic fringe agenda would quickly get buried.

Well, the miniscule percentage of the populace that are atheists are certainly welcome to try.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 10:08 am
It's not about atheists, jackass . . . the majority of the population does not support the lunatic fringe agenda of the holy rollers . . .

You just love that sh*t of attempting to warp what others say to make what passes for an argument in your corner of the holy roller lunatic fringe . . .

"Real life," at the edge of the religious wacko fringe . . .
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 10:56 am
I know the majority of the population does not support the agenda of atheists.

(I know, you'll claim 'we have no agenda'. Read that and understand it refers to the policies you and your like minded mini-minority would put in place were you to be given the reins. )

Maybe that's why you've said you never discuss your religious views in public and I am perfectly comfortable discussing mine, even when I know others might not agree with me.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 01:42 pm
I can genuinely say that i as an atheist have no agenda, because the fact that i don't buy the "god" dog and pony show does not lead me to any political position other than the separation of church and state--which was articulated by people who professed religious faith more than a century and a half before i was born, and has been supported ever since by people who profess religious faith. As for what others who are, or who call themselves atheists believe in politically, i neither know nor care. I don't want political power, and i certainly don't want to see any group branding itself atheists exercising political power simply because they call themselves atheists, no more than i want to see Presbyterians, Baptists, Jews, Jains, Sikhs or Animists exercising political power simply because they have so respectively labeled themselves.

I am not uncomfortable discussing my lack of religious conviction in public, i just don't bring it up. When a holy roller such as yourself gets in my face about it, i am happy to point out how idiotic and unsubstantiated their superstitions are, to which such holy rollers inevitably react badly, and that explains why i don't personally bring the subject up. There are enough crackpot loonies on the loose in society without fishing for them.

I have not the least doubt that you are more than willing to foist your idiotic superstition off on others in an unsolicited and rude manner at the drop of a hat.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 02:27 pm
When it comes to "rude manner" Settin' I think you are in the alpha category.

Quote:
I don't want political power.

Only because you have no capacity for getting it.

I think you would like nothing better than the Nation on its knees begging you to take the Presidency.

What have you got against "strange financial instruments"?

Has it never struck you that the separation of church and state--which was articulated by people who professed religious faith more than a century and a half before you were born-- was proffered simply because those who did so had had a bad deal from the alternative or were playing upon the prejudices of others who had had. An immigrant world might well be one escaping from what it felt as restrictions on its ambitions in a new and almost empty landscape where ambition could go all the way. Or seem to.

Non-Christians were in that landscape and what did they do with it except lose it.
0 Replies