I'm glad God existed.

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 02:10 pm
I mean, if God never existed, where would humanity be now? I'm not saying God does exist, I'm just saying what if he never "existed"? where would mankind be if not one of us had thought up God? regardless of what Christianity and religion in general offers us, it has given us alot. Religion had shaped the world we live in, for better or worse, and alot of the time people do not realize how much there view of the world is influenced by religious thought.

So I'm glad God "existed". This is a rather spontaneous post so I can't list everything that religion has given us; law, respect maybe, food for thought definitely, and a good argument. An interesting, but maybe pointless question is: what if God never "existed"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,910 • Replies: 24
No top replies

contrex

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 03:47 pm
"If God did not exist it would be necessary to invent Him." - Voltaire
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 04:15 pm
Re: I'm glad God existed.
existential potential wrote:
I mean, if God never existed, where would humanity be now? ... Religion had shaped the world we live in, for better or worse, and alot of the time people do not realize how much there view of the world is influenced by religious thought.

You seem to be using "God" and "Religion" interchangeably. Did you mean to do that?
0 Replies

existential potential

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2008 09:37 am
I meant the Christian God.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2008 10:03 am
What about the Jewish God?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2008 01:28 pm
I'm confused. Your thread title is I'm Glad God Existed but in your original post you say you are not saying He does exist?
0 Replies

existential potential

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2008 02:47 pm
What I mean, to be specific, is that I am glad that the concept of God came into existence. God exists as a concept in our minds, and I am glad that he does. God does not actually exist, as some entity outside the universe, but only as a concept.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2008 05:36 pm
Oh really? Have some proof of that do ya?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2008 06:09 pm
contrex wrote:

Same God
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2008 07:51 pm
Intrepid wrote:
contrex wrote:

Same God

Oh, good . . . that's good to know . . . so when people point out what a puerile, murderous, hateful, racist, arbitrary and capricious sh*t the god of the old testament is, and bible-thumpers come back with the claim that your boy Hey-Zeus changed all that . . . they're just talkin' sh*t, huh?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 02:00 am
Arella Mae wrote:

He has precisely the same amount of proof that you have of the truth of the converse proposition, I would have thought. Disregarding special pleading and hocus-pocus.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 03:32 am
As Voltaire suggested, the "God (s)"concept appears to have been a psychological necessity in one form or another for most of humanity. But since we might argue that its repercussions have been as pernicious as they have been beneficial, it is hard to see how "being glad" could be applied to it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 01:44 pm
contrex wrote:
Arella Mae wrote:

He has precisely the same amount of proof that you have of the truth of the converse proposition, I would have thought. Disregarding special pleading and hocus-pocus.

The hocus-pocus is really, really important for roping in the suckers . . . you gotta have a good magic act to flim-flam the country boys and girls . . .
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 02:36 pm
contrex wrote:
Arella Mae wrote:

I meant that more as a joke than anything else. My small attempt at humor seems to have failed. Laughing
0 Replies

existential potential

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 04:28 am
However, could you not say that there is more evidence to suggest that God exists as a concept rather than some independently existing entity that has an influence on the world?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 04:26 pm
Now that is a statement I can certainly give some thought to existential.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 02:42 am
existential potential wrote:
However, could you not say that there is more evidence to suggest that God exists as a concept rather than some independently existing entity that has an influence on the world?

Now you're getting somewhere.

"Commerce" is a just a concept. It is a human construct which we act out. One might say that is is not "real" in the sense that it is immaterial, and has no consciousness. However it does seem to have a real influence on our world.

God as a concept is real. God as a deity is not. The product is the same either way strangely.

T
K
O
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 06:22 am
Diest TKO wrote:
Now you're getting somewhere.

"Commerce" is a just a concept. It is a human construct which we act out. One might say that is is not "real" in the sense that it is immaterial, and has no consciousness. However it does seem to have a real influence on our world.

God as a concept is real. God as a deity is not. The product is the same either way strangely.

I would point out that "Commerce" has a fairly unified meaning throughout humanity. But the "Concept" of God is different from culture to culture, and even from person to person. The singular "definition" of God is specific, but the working concept that people use it for in conversation is extremely broad.

The closest analog to "Concept of God" I can think of is "Concept of Dragon". Dragon is a magical entity that has very different meaning from culture to culture and from person to person.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 09:54 pm
There are ONLY concepts. For "naive realists", "reality" is merely a concept of "existence independent of all observers". This is denied by non-dualists such as myself who see "existence" as relational and "reality" as a function of the nature of that relationship which implies the expectation of relative stability within the flux. Such stability may or may not involve "physicality".
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 04:17 pm
@existential potential,
As an athiest I am not quite sure that God Existed. I had perused the telphone book and i had not seen his address.
But i care a jot of his existense .