Killed a Bird Today

cjhsa

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 11:54 am
Thing flew down and landed in the road about 100 yards in front of me, looking right at me. Never moved - I centered over it, but the vehicle sucked it up and crushed it against the undercarriage.

Weirdest damn thing. I had this happen once before, in CA, but there was clearly seed or something that had spilled on the road. This time, the stupid bird just stared at the approaching car. Never seen anything like it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,733 • Replies: 21
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 12:01 pm
Same thing happened to me today but when I got close enough, I saw it was a mother martin that refused to move over top of its fledgeling. I swerved and missed the things (it ws a country road wwith only distant AMish buggies).

I stopped and both birds just took off . Martins are good parents but roads arent a good place to encourage the kids to do landings and take offs.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 12:03 pm
Good grief.

This happened to me the other day too, only it was a squirrel.

Right under the car and I heard a "thud".

God I hope I killed him. I hate it when they are just maimed and lay there twitching.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 12:04 pm
I think it was a purple martin now that you mention it.

Didn't see any fledgling, but you could be right. I had a commute partner - he didn't see anything but the one bird either.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 12:05 pm
Didn't know about the agreement, I guess.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 02:02 pm
JERRY: You ran over some pigeons? How many?

GEORGE: What ever they had. Miranda thinks I'm a butcher but it's not my fault is it? Don't we have a deal with the pigeons?

JERRY: Of course. We have a deal. They get out of the way of our cars, we look the other way on the statue defecation.

GEORGE: Right! And these pigeons broke the deal. I will not accept the blame for this.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 05:39 pm
My favorite Seinfeld line was George, relating a tale about a whale with a golball in its blowhole.

"THE SEA WAS ANGRY THAT DAY MY FRIEND"
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 07:18 pm
I ran over a bunny a couple of weeks ago.

Early in the morning, tried to swerve, but swear he hopped right in front of the tires.

Definite thud.

Just a smear left on the commute home.

Sad.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 07:36 pm
Damn prey animals got no sense.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 07:40 pm
I ran over a squirrel with the back tire of my BMW last year. I looked in the rear view - and watched him run away - all four legs in gear. Couldn't believe it. I guess 700lbs of pressure over about 30sqin isn't enough to kill a squirrel.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 07:42 pm
I hit a bird one time...right on the windshield - scared the stuffing out of me. Felt really bad.

I almost had a wreck trying to miss a raccoon one time...fishtailed all over the place. Ended up on the side of the road hyperventilating. I expect more of raccoons for some reason. Can see why squirrerls get smashed - tiny little brains and very indecisive.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 07:48 pm
Just a suggestion - never, ever veer for animals. The state of Michigan has a slogan "Don't veer for deer". You're more likely to kill yourself, your passengers, or someone else, unless you really know what you're doing behind the wheel. Coons are vermin - keep that in mind.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 07:49 pm
rabbits too. Ive already hit a rabbit that made it to one side of the road and then, for some reason unknown to me, turned around and ran under my wheels.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 08:02 pm
It was instinctive. Hardly thought about it. Fortunately - it was late at night and no one else was on the interstate. I hope I wouldn't next time but who knows?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 08:08 pm
Ran over a deer carcass at 75 mph in my old Datsun in the middle of the night one time. That'll wake you up. I did go back to make sure it wasn't a person.

Was towing a U-Haul trailer through Minnesota when a hawk smacked into the side of it. Heard it hit, looked back right away and saw it tumbling away behind me. Must've been hunting something on the side of the road...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 07:16 am
cjhsa wrote:
Just a suggestion - never, ever veer for animals. The state of Michigan has a slogan "Don't veer for deer". You're more likely to kill yourself, your passengers, or someone else, unless you really know what you're doing behind the wheel. Coons are vermin - keep that in mind.

Yeah I've done this - especially one time to avoid hitting a bunny - I was scolded just for the reason you stated above. But it is almost a reaction to avoid hitting something.

Also, I do know you Montana (have family there and because of all the animals), that if you get in accident as a result of trying to avoid hitting an animal it is considered your fault and your insurance will not pay. However, if you hit the thing dead-on it is not considered your fault and the insurance will cover.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 07:38 am
Of course, if it was a cow/elk/moose/bison standing in the road, you might want to rethink your strategy.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 07:52 am
Stopped to gawk at a buzzard in our residential neighborhood the other day. It was having a feast on a sail squirrel.

You know about sail animals? They're the ones that are so flat, you can pick 'em up and sail 'em like frisbees.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 09:45 am
cjhsa wrote:

It's probably bred right into us Michiganders.

I brake hard but never swerve.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 08:13 pm
caribou wrote:
I ran over a bunny a couple of weeks ago.

Early in the morning, tried to swerve, but swear he hopped right in front of the tires.

Definite thud.

Just a smear left on the commute home.

Sad.

I did the same exact thing on the way to work one morning a few weeks ago. I was doing 60 and the bunny just ran right out in front of me. No time to think and then, thud Sad
I cried the rest of the way to work and it literally ruined my day Crying or Very sad

The same day on my way home from work, a deer ran across the road not far in front of me and all I could think was "Jesus, if I had left just a few seconds later it would have been much worse than my morning road kill Shocked

I just love those animals and I wish their parents would teach them to stay out of the road.

Pheasants are terrible for that, but I haven't hit one yet.
0 Replies