Armed Civilian Stops Terrorist --- In Israel!!!!

cjhsa

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 07:31 am
Nice shootin' Moshe!!

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1215331056523&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

Sixteen wounded in copycat bulldozer attack in Jerusalem

Sixteen people were wounded, one of them moderately, as a bulldozer driver went on a rampage in central Jerusalem Tuesday afternoon in an apparent attempt to recreate the terror attack in the capital earlier this month.

The vehicle reportedly left a construction site near Yemin Moshe neighborhood and set off towards Liberty Bell Park (Gan Hapa'amon), near the corner of Keren Hayesod and King David streets. It drove a distance of approximately 160 meters, attempting to overturn a bus and crashing into four other vehicles - one of which it flipped over. The man was then shot dead by a civilian and a border policeman.

The wounded were evacuated to hospitals in the capital.

Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said police sealed off possible escape routes into east Jerusalem and were searching for two suspects who fled the scene.

The attack took place in a busy part of downtown Jerusalem, several hundred meters from the luxury hotel where US presidential candidate Barack Obama is supposed to stay Tuesday night as he kicks off a visit to Israel.

The bus that was hit, No. 13, belonged to the same line of the bus that was overturned in the previous attack.

"I was driving on the main road when the (construction vehicle) hit me in the rear, on the right hand side," the driver of the bus, who was not identified, told Channel 10 TV.

"After I passed him he turned round, made a U-turn and rammed the windows twice with the shovel. The third time he aimed for my head, he came up to my window and I swerved to the right, otherwise I would have gone to meet my maker," he said.

Witness Moshe Shimshi said the driver, who was wearing a large, white skullcap commonly worn by religious Muslims, slammed into the side of the bus, then sped away and went for a car.

"He didn't yell anything, he just kept ramming into cars," Shimshi said.

The driver then headed for cars waiting at a red light "and rammed into them with all his might," he added.

Channel 10 TV said a mother and her baby were wounded. Israeli rescue services said they had evacuated one person whose leg was partially severed; Israel media said he was in the car that was overturned.

"This was another attempt to murder innocent people in a senseless act of terrorism," said government spokesman Mark Regev. "All people who believe in peace and reconciliation must unequivocally condemn this attack. Unfortunately, it is clear that we as a society will have to remain vigilant against terrorism."

Minutes after the attack, the driver, wearing shorts and black shoes, was sprawled backward in the construction vehicle's cabin, his legs dangling lifelessly.

On July 2, a resident of east Jerusalem rammed a bulldozer into cars, buses and pedestrians on one of Jerusalem's busiest streets, killing three people and wounding at least 45 others - including a six-month-old baby girl - before being shot dead by security personnel.

The attack began at noon when Husam Taysir Dwayat, a 30-year-old resident of the southeast neighborhood of Sur Bahir, drove out of a nearby light rail construction site and plowed his Caterpillar vehicle into anything and anyone, first on Rehov Sarei Yisrael and then on Jaffa Road, overturning a No. 13 Egged bus, flattening half a dozen cars and leaving destruction and carnage in his wake.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,089 • Replies: 8
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 09:25 am
The libtards at the NY Times reported this as "an off duty soldier".

What ahhsats. An off duty soldier is a civilian. They are so afraid of publishing anything that might undermine their retarded position on guns. They did it with the woman who shot the murderer in the church - refusing to accept the fact she was simply there for services - called her "an off duty security guard". What a steaming load.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2008 10:36 am
This story may also bring up the question whether civilians should be allowed to keep bulldozers in their homes. Or, for that matter can civilians use a bulldozer in public, outside of one's home?

The bulldozer was used as a terrorist weapon. It was a politcal act. The soldier was "fighting terrorism," not crime.

And, in my opinion, comparing Israelis (aka Jews) to Americans might be a false comparison, since when was the last time you heard of anyone in the U.S. being mugged by a Jew, or a Jew holding up a liquor store?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2008 11:38 am
Oy veh....gimme da Manichewitz or I blow ya head off!
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 07:38 am
cjhsa wrote:
Oy veh....gimme da Manichewitz or I blow ya head off!

Can I assume your jocular retort implies you see the veracity to my point (the bulldozer attack was a political terrorist act, not an ordinary style criminal act), and you would prefer to ignore that validity?

But, in my opinion, using Israel's society to give credence to your position on gun ownership might be giving some readers the thought that you are "grasping at straws," since it is fairly obvious to many people that Israel's society is very, very different than life in the U.S.A.

I say this since an Orthodox Jew in NYC, that would not never want a gun in the urban environs of NYC, might be amenable to gun ownership, if he emigrated to Israel and lived in a Kibbutz on the West Bank. In other words, guns are not a priori always needed. There is a context of the society one lives in for many people.

So, if in your opinion, your "neck-of-the-woods" requires a gun, then that might be your position on where gun ownership should be allowed, but if you are proselytizing that gun ownership is necessary everywhere, that is really a false conclusion, in my opinion, not to mention giving another locale gratuitous advice. And, in my opinion, it would reflect the antithesis of "states rights" that conservatives usually champion.

Also, sorry if I do not reflect the archaic speech (oy vey shtick) of earlier generations of Jews. I apoligize then for speaking correct English, with nothing more than a standard NYC accent (i.e., "New Yawk").
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 08:03 am
Is terrorism not a crime?

I don't think I'm grasping at straws. Anyone that lives in Israel or NYC and doesn't at least want to protect themselves in any way possible is insane, IMHO. And in my view, that self evident truth extends to wherever you go.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 08:38 am
cjhsa wrote:
Is terrorism not a crime?

I don't think I'm grasping at straws. Anyone that lives in Israel or NYC and doesn't at least want to protect themselves in any way possible is insane, IMHO. And in my view, that self evident truth extends to wherever you go.

When we use the term crime I believe we are using the standard meaning of civilian crime; terrorism is done by terrorists, not civilian criminals. We can play with word definitions all day.

You are ignoring my point that society in Israel is not the society in NYC, due in part to the periodic terrorist act in everyday life in Israel. Plus, Israelis, most having served in the armed forces, are aware of gun safety from professional training. Not so in the U.S.A.

I would guess that there is a country somewhere, where the populace is so peaceable that guns are the farthest thing from their minds. So, using Israel, and its two antagonistic populations, is a poor example of why gun ownership in the U.S. is needed, in my opinion.

And, you ignored my point that your position on gun ownership might be valid for where you live, but your gratuitous advice for the entire country goes counter to the standard conservative position on states rights. You do have free will to not mind everyone's position on gun ownership, since you are not omnipresent and live everywhere. I think it would be nice of you to allow citizens of other locales to determine their need for gun ownership, regardless of the Supreme Court decision.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 08:42 am
I'm not missing your point. You're missing mine.

Adieu.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 09:11 am
cjhsa wrote:
I'm not missing your point. You're missing mine.

Adieu.

When did you start talking French? How about, "Hasta luego," or "Adios," or "Usted no me entiende, Senor Foofie."

But, you are correct, we should not discuss this topic, since in my opinion you appear to be taking a pro-gun ownership position that accepts no other opinions.
0 Replies