Paris, 2eme

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 08:36 pm
Can someone tell me the distance between Place Petits Peres and the Montmartre Cemetary: the route being:

East fromPlace Petits Peres along Rue des Petits Peres to Rue des Notre Dame des Victoires; take left turn onto des Victoires;

Continue through merger with
Rue Montmartre onto Rue du Faubourg Montmartre, continue on Faubourg through the conjunction with Rue Drouotand Rue LaFayette to Place Lorette.

Continue straight through and onto Rue Notre Dame de Lorette. On to Rue Fontaineto Place Blanche, then right onto Couclaincourt to the cemetery
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 855 • Replies: 6
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 11:53 pm
About 2800 metres, 3000 yards, 1.73 miles, one mile and three-quarters more or less.
0 Replies

Woollcott

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 07:18 pm
Contrex:
You're a genius! Many, MANY thanks. I talked with someone who was familiar with the area, and he guessed "just under four miles." You also must be familiar with the 2nd and 18th arrondissements, since I understand that at least two of the streets have been re-named. One other question - if one were to walk that route, would it be mostly uphill?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 02:21 am
I'm not overly familiar with that part of Paris; I got the area showing on Google Maps and put a tape measure on the screen & took a measurement of each segment of the route. The scale is shown so calculating the distance was simple arithmetic.

The end of the route is approx 80 feet higher than the start, but it's not an even climb. Using some contour mapping data I found at EarthTools, it looks like it's fairly flat until you get to Place Lorette/Rue Notre Dame de Lorette, and then you start to climb. Montmartre is on a hill, as I remember, so this sounds about right.

Place Petits Peres 49 m 161 ft

Rue des Notre Dame des Victoires 51 m 167 ft

take left turn onto des Victoires; 48 m 157 ft

merger with Rue Montmartre 48 m 157 ft

onto Rue du Faubourg Montmartre, 48 m 157 ft

conjunction Rue Drouot/Rue LaFayette 49 m 161 ft

Place Lorette. 51 m 167 ft

Rue Notre Dame de Lorette. 49 m 161 ft

On to Rue Fontaine 68m 223 ft

Place Blanche 78 m 255 ft

Couclaincourt 72 m 236 ft
0 Replies

Woollcott

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 06:21 pm
Contrex:
I have gotten some pretty astounding answers to some of the questions I have sent to Able2Know and another similar site - but yours is in a class above the others. When I sent the question in I estimated a 25% chance of getting any answer at all. Instead, I got an extremely accurate answer not only of the route, but of each block and place along the way - and also the elevation to boot.

So, I'm going to press my luck even further: What, in your opinion, is the best travel agency for a very elementary "rubbernecking" tour for all or most of the basic ("You absolutely must not miss") sights or events in Paris.....and I said best, not cheapest. For anywhere between five days and a week.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 12:03 am
Well, I live in Perpignan, which is some way away from Paris, and when I visit the capital, I am as much as tourist as the next guy. I just asked a colleague and he told me that when his parents came over to visit him in Paris, he and they used some tours from Paris Shuttle. You can mix and match daily tours to get a variety of experiences. They enjoyed Versailles, the open top bus and the wine tasting, and it's not cheap, but not crazily expensive either.

http://www.shuttle-paris.com/paris_sightseeing_tours.htm
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 04:26 am
Either that - or walk through Paris in three days and add two days with Loire castles:

Day 1
start (via metro station <Charles>) at the 'Arc de Triomphe', get a view of Montmatre, Tour Eiffel, La Défense from there, walk dowm the 'Avenue de Champs-Elysées (and visit the 'Office du Tourisme, about 150m down on the right).

At the 'rond-point Cahmps-Elysées' tuen left, 'rue Matignon' until 'Rue du Faubourg Saint Honoré' [luxury shops!], go to the right and have a look at 'Palais de l'Elysées'. Then ... ... ...

http://i34.tinypic.com/19v6yt.jpg

It's neither my plan nor really my idea, but from an (older) by a certain Guy Laforge (in German).
I've done those walks twice (once alone, then with Mrs Walter): it's really not bad at all.

If you're interested, I can scan the other plans and infos, too.
0 Replies