Fried Chumly

Chumly

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 07:12 pm
Not that I'm complaining (well I guess I am) but my new teaching job is wearing on me.

- No matter how much I learn / prepare it's not enough
- No matter how much I sleep / rest it's not enough

I'm told by the other teachers that this is entirely normal.

However I'm teaching from 7:30 to 2:30 five days a week, always with the exact same 16 students, (well I get a new batch every 2 months) and then before and after it's building lessons plans and learning the material well enough to present it and staying organized and blah blah blah.......

It's so much work that sleep rest and food do not wholly alleviate the negative effects!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,273 • Replies: 13
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 07:20 pm
What do you teach? A friend of mine is a teacher and he says it's only hard until you get the curriculum down. But he does look forward to his 2.5 month summer vacation.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 07:32 pm
I teach apprentice electricians, it's a lot of theory and math, it's not the practical, hands on workaday stuff, this material has teeth.

Believe me, this technical institution, course material, and scheduling is not like high school, or university soft sciences, or the arts.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2009 08:29 am
Things are much better now......time and effort helps!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2009 08:32 am
Good to know, chumly.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2009 08:51 am
Now if I can find a way not to slice my fingers when I use dental floss, my life will be complete!
roger

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2009 02:55 pm
@Chumly,
Try J&J's Reach. It's much softer, and works as well
Chumly

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2009 05:39 pm
@roger,
OK!
spendius

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2009 05:45 pm
@Chumly,
Starting at 7.30 am is where you're going wrong Chum. That's uncivilised. Barbaric even.
Chumly

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2009 09:21 pm
@spendius,
I totally agree, after bruncheon would be civil.

Eggs, sausages, bacon, ham, fruits, pastries, pancakes, and the like. Also quiche, large roasts of meat or poultry, shrimp and smoked fish, salads, soups, vegetable dishes, many types of breadstuffs, and desserts of all sorts!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 12:00 am
@Chumly,
Is this a contract position, Chumly? If so, how long before it's over? And you might be rather pleased when that time comes!
msolga

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 12:04 am
@msolga,
.... and (just curious) why is it necessary for you to begin work at such an ungodly hour? What time do set the alarm for each work day?
roger

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 01:20 am
@msolga,
In some circles, rising early is considered a virtue. In those circles, I'm considered a decadent bum.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 08:53 am
@msolga,
It's not a contract position, it's till death do I part! I set the alarm for 5:30 a.m. every weekday. I have to begin work at such an ungodly hour because (actually I don't really know).

They could have made the times 11:00 am to 6:00 which would have avoided the rush hour on both ends as well as having a saner start time.
0 Replies