fresco

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 12:54 am
Since I have been evoked, I would simply say this.

I have not read much Nietzsche but this thread has prompted me to Google "Nietzsche contradictions" which gives lengthy illustrations of some central issues including his use of the word "truth". Such a search also clearly indicates that commentators with "straight logical criteria" have tended to find such contradictions problematic, whereas those taking a transcendent approach to "logic" have seen Nietzsche to be exhibiting "koan type discourse" in an attempt to resolve dualities.
0 Replies

Borealis

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 02:46 am
My apologies fellow participants in this thread.

My original post appears incoherent because I was meaning to reply to a thread regarding his philosophy.

I have always been perplexed by his philosophy. Is he for the renouncement of society for an individualistic stance? Or is it more centrally focused on the religious aspects of life and society?

As always I always enjoy reading the responses. I am surprised actually how many pages this thread invoked with some nearly untranslatable question.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 11:09 am
Thanks, Fresco. What I like most about Nietzsche is not his ontology of the world as Will to Power ("and nothing besides"). It takes considerable exposure to Nietzsche to arrive at some understanding of that. And that understanding must recognize the primacy he gives to the provisional and interpretive nature of "truth"--what he called his "perspectivism." I think this is part of the basis for his high standing in our post-modern (relativistic) era.
Perhaps, the (apparent) "absolutism" of his ontological "Will to Power" and the relativism of his epistemological "perspectivism" may be listed among his "contradictions."
0 Replies

existential potential

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 03:49 pm
I think that Nietzsche realized his contradictions, in "beyond good and evil" he talks about how he sees the idea of "law of nature" as absurd, but he then says "Granted this too is only interpretation- and you will be eager enough to raise this objection?-well so much the better."
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 07:52 pm
existential potential wrote:
I think that Nietzsche realized his contradictions, in "beyond good and evil" he talks about how he sees the idea of "law of nature" as absurd, but he then says "Granted this too is only interpretation- and you will be eager enough to raise this objection?-well so much the better."

How is that a contradiction?
0 Replies

existential potential

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 09:42 am
your right, now I have no idea why I said that.
0 Replies