[answered]view posts since last visit

ehBeth

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 10:42 pm
Tonight - when I click on view posts since last visit - when the screen refreshes -
Quote:
View posts since last visit
View unanswered posts
At a Glance
- disappears

I have to click on something from the left side of the screen to get that group to re-appear.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,387 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Monger

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 10:54 pm
The topic title "Mondale...Dukakis....McGovern...Dean" (with no spaces in it) is stretching the screen for you on those pages. Since you haven't posted in that thread it doesn't show up on the other pages you're clicking: View Your Posts, etc.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 10:57 pm
well, there we go

that is truly errrrr interesting

Thank you very much. It's a most puzzling effect.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 10:58 pm
no problem here
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 11:03 pm
To avoid this kinda thing people need to be careful not to post long titles with no spaces (see, if there's a space the text can go down to a new line, but with no spaces it's gotta stretch across), and avoid things like insanely enormous links in their posts.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 11:08 pm
You don't have the problem husker because the title I mentioned isn't long enough to stretch your screen which is set at a higher resolution than beth's.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 11:09 pm
that lovely effect Evil or Very Mad is why i learned to use the URL function for posting links here. Being here has sure taught me a lot. Too bad it hasn't taught me to think clearly when half asleep.

Thanks for the explanation about that long thread title, monger. It did help quite a bit.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 11:10 pm
yer right - i had to change the screen resolution to play a couple of games, and then never changed it. it never occurred to me that there might be a side effect here.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 11:13 pm
hmmmm, is that thread title effecting the length of other thread titles? because it isn't longer than a number of other ones - did it stretch out its particular column?
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 11:14 pm
The problem is not that the title is long, it's that there are no spaces in it so it can't wrap around to a 2nd line.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 11:20 pm
Nice pumpkins, but isn't it a bit early in the season?

I am seeing other titles that are as long. hmmmmm - or to say it somewhat more precisely - are using as much screen width

in any case, i'm watching the bottom of my screen carefully now
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 11:25 pm
I don't think it's so much long, ehBeth, as long and having no spaces... eh?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 11:29 pm
I've 'got' the long and unspaced bit. What I'm wondering now (as I can see other thread titles that are using the same screen width - and not wrapping onto a second line), is whether that long and unspaced thread title increased the column width for thread titles (temporarily).

So - I'm progressing from what is it - to why is it? Maybe I just need some sleep. 1:30 a.m. is hmmmmmm about 3, 3.5 hours past my normal collapse time.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 11:31 pm
Yes, it's increasing the column width temporarily. It's stretching the whole page, and because of that are the other titles fill up their newly available space.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 11:39 pm
Thanks, monger.

Another lesson learned. Very Happy
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 11:46 pm
i am considering a removal of the skyscraper ads for some of teh pages. It will help but not solve this problem.

The real problem is vastly different resolutions and input from thousands of peole (all of whom might do something to stretch the pages).

Ina future release teh long URLs in posts will be truncated. But long titles will ahve to be solved differently.

I will experiment with a few different layout schemes. Possibly combining two of the table colums or something like that.
0 Replies