Are they stealing any gasoline up your way?

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 03:48 pm
Quote:
Lock-equipped gas caps have been flying out of auto parts stores.

Joe(I'll bet.)Nation
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,096 • Replies: 33
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 03:59 pm
I have one. Many gas stations will not let you pump gas without prepaying due to the large number of drive offs.

The high gas prices should cut down on the number of auto thefts. The thiefs wouldn't be able to afford the gas. Laughing
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 04:06 pm
There was just a story in the news the other day about a local post office that had the gas stolen from 2 of their vehicles last weekend.

The run on locking gas caps reminds me of the 1970s oil embargo...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 04:09 pm
Here in Pa they dont worry about "gas tank locks". They just put a tray under the carsand punch holes in the fuel tanks.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 04:12 pm
I've heard of that here, too, farmerman. Usually suv and pickups, though. My car (ford focus) is too low to the ground to bother with punching a 10 gal tank which might not be full anyway.

I got a locking gas cap the first time I saw $3.00/gal. May or may not help, it's hard to tell. I had a locking cap in Denver when the price hit $1.00 in the late seventies. I know it helped then.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 04:14 pm
Well, when you head out to fill the gas tank and you have to stop and think "Hey, do I have a hundred dollars on me?" that would change some of my habits.

A buddy came over from NJ on Friday so we could go to Yankee Stadium. It's easy parking in my neighborhood on holidays. He brought his son, they didn't drive my buddie's big SUV, they drove the kiddo's compact.

$120.00 Tickets to see the Red Sox. Okay.
$80.00 in gas to get there and back. Fugetaboutdit.

Joe(I don't own a car. I'm a city boy)Nation
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 04:16 pm
Back in the 70's when I was about 17 I had an excellent hand-pump that was ideal for siphoning gas out of unsuspecting vehicles. I would always make sure not to siphon more than a gallon or two from any one vehicle. And that was back when gas was .55 per gallon!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 04:26 pm
Hmm.

I wonder which is selling faster?

Locking gas caps or hand pumps?

Joe(we sell a syphon pump at the store....)Nation
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 04:26 pm
I saw three gas caps off at the apartments one morning. I put them back on. I also left a note on each car, because I didn't want anybody getting in traffic if the tank was empty.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 04:32 pm
You have a busy neighborhood there, Edgar.

Here most cars have alarms against theft and self locking gas covers. (You have to push the lever on the inside of the car to get it to open.)

I did see a couple of tell-tale sprays of scattered glass over the past couple of weeks, but I thought they were taking the CARS not just the petro.

Watch yourself, E. I don't think I'd be touching anybody else's car if I were you.

Joe(whatdoiknow?)Nation
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 04:35 pm
I put the caps on, then went to the office and informed the boss. She advised me I did it right.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 04:38 pm
Haven't heard of any yet, but it might be happening as we speak.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 04:47 pm
NickFun wrote:
Back in the 70's when I was about 17 I had an excellent hand-pump that was ideal for siphoning gas out of unsuspecting vehicles. I would always make sure not to siphon more than a gallon or two from any one vehicle. And that was back when gas was .55 per gallon!

The guys I knew just sucked it out with their mouths. Does this say something about them? Very Happy
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 04:48 pm
Not much grey matter up there.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 05:08 pm
Cars parked at suburban railway stations for the day are the targets I have heard about here. commuters are trying to pressure the rail operators and state governmnet into installing video cameras at railway carparks.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 05:17 pm
mame wrote:
The guys I knew just sucked it out with their mouths. Does this say something about them?
Yeah, I've done that.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 05:25 pm
It's a matter of timing and education.

The timing is stopping the sucking just before the gas hits your lips.

The education is what you get if your timing is off.

Joe(ptooey,ptooey,gak gak, ptooey)Nation
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 05:28 pm
A story the other day here was about stolen license plates used when doing drive offs at gas stations.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 04:14 pm
here's our big news today (other than the melting temps)

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_24548.aspx

Quote:
Tow Truck Drivers Seeing More Business As Motorists Gamble With Gas
Monday July 7, 2008
CityNews.ca Staff

If you're a driver, you know how costly the price of filling up your tank has become in the past six months.

It may not surprise you then to learn that tow truck drivers are reaping a few benefits from these high prices, as motorists are increasingly opting to run on empty in the hopes that waiting a day will result in a lower price on the marquee. The problem is - sometimes they push their vehicles too far and the end up stranded by the side of the road.

Toronto-based Abrams Towing is reporting a 40 per cent spike in daily calls from motorists who've run out of gas.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 06:18 pm
NickFun wrote:

What you're supposed to do is siphon directly from their tank to your. It's the nature of siphons that if the cars are of equal size, you'll both end up with half a tank - from each according to his ability; to each according to his need. Now, if it's a great big, guzzling SUV, you might end up draining it. He deserves it, so go for it.
0 Replies