Religion's Misguided Missles

souldoctor73

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 05:57 pm
Portal Star wrote:
soul_doctor73 wrote:
Abolish religion! You got my vote. I say, burn it all. This article just proves my point. Lightwave is spreading light.

Kudos to you.

"...Let loose the dogs of war."

Burn it all? Thank you for embodying what I dislike in religion and totalitarian regimes. How do you intend to do abolish religion? Give tax benefits to those who sign a no g-d waver? Burn their books? Burn all the religous paintings? Force the religous into camps? Burn them?

BTW, husker should have a right to preach, and if he does so intelligently I will welcome it. I preach about agnosticism.

The first thing I would do is burn all currency as fuel for religious propaganda. No money = no greed; no greed = no liars; no liars = no theives; no theives = no preachers; no preachers = no religion; no religion = world peace.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 06:02 pm
(And I think soul_doctor's feelings are more in the realm of philosophy rather than religion -- although the one poster who seems absent at the time tries to sell the silly idea that we all have religion of one kind or another. I think we all may have a form of spirituality even if not in the supernatural sense of the word (like "high spirits" which are available at any bar -- only kidding Drunk Very Happy ). The spirit of mankind trapped in this world of good and evil. Seems like that was what Tolkien was trying to get across in LOTR (and he was religious, working on translations of the Bible and writing a book that has Biblical scope).
0 Replies

souldoctor73

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 06:18 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
The spirit of mankind trapped in this world of good and evil. Seems like that was what Tolkien was trying to get across in LOTR...

What I refer to as 'parallels' and 'patterns'. Many of the movies released in recent years 'parallel' the spiritual struggle of good over evil, even those that, on the surface, appear to have nothing to do with the topic. Others I call 'patterns' because they tend to reflect actual events in reality and modern society, though they are fiction. 'Head of State' is a good example of this. As is Matrix Reloaded. That movie gives me the shivers.

If you haven't seen Head of State though, it's worth a watch. I'm going to buy it just so I can show it to the folks who visit. They don't think like I do, but that movie is a pattern if I ever saw one. And once you see it, you'll understand 'most' of what I mean. And it's an enjoyable flick too.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 09:27 pm
"Head of State," one I missed at the theaters and will have to rent as Ebert does give it a good review:

http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/ebert_reviews/2003/03/032804.html

I wasn't as bowled over by "The Matrix" as some -- not a "I have to see that again" movie and I'm suspecting I'll have the same response to "Matrix Reloaded." Being a really avid science fiction fan in the 60's, I'm not often impressed by the Hollywood idea of good sci-fi. I found "The Matrix" rather over-loaded. But great effects.

But enough digression -- husker is just very genuine so I don't think anyone would find him cracked. He might crack you up, however -- he can get rather feisty and remarkably with the more self-important religious fanatics that sometimes come aboard. I observe that he just keeps it simple.

Interesting supposition to burn all the money but that'll never happen unless there's an apocalypse and that is dangerously possible with how our present administration is dealing with the world. They've just been given the rasberries in their campaign to ask for money and troops to help out in Iraq. I'd like to add a little whipped cream on top, cleverly mixed in with some crow.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 09:30 pm
Of course, we Tolkien fans realize he was not intending to write an allegory. Speaking of soul and it's mentioned in another place, have you read Francis Crick's "The Astonishing Hypothesis: The Scientific Search for the Soul?" Really amazing book.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 10:47 pm
Thanks! - some time I'll give ya all a chance - I'll give the the husker version of "Christian Theology as Husker sees and experiences it"
You do get bits and snibbles dabbled around and that's ok - but sometime when I can type in out in the desirable way I want you see it, you'll get it Smile
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 08:10 am
Er...husker, I got lost in the last sentence.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 08:14 am
husker is just saying that he occasionally mentions his faith, but is still looking for the proper words to describe his personal approach to his faith, and when he finds those words, he will let us all know, as we all respect him, and have expressed curiosity. Wink
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 08:27 am
I saw it was a typo "in" for "it" right after I replied.
Actually, I like the fact that he does keep his faith as a private and personal aspect of his life. It's awfully hard to try and explain one's attitude towards their own religion without getting into preaching. Leave the preaching for the preachers. This forum is open and free if one observes the TOS. However, there is a thin line when some come on strong with their pontificating in the defensive for their own faith and at the same time proselytizing. It nearly always comes off as self-serving, pompous trolling.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 08:32 am
True enough LW.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 08:38 am
part of my dyslexia -
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 08:58 am
Don't feel alone, husker -- I typed "Byrd" over on the film forum for the Eastwood movie about Charlie Bird. Naturally, the Scrabble dictionary rules apply and nobody could find the movie. If you can spell dyslexia, you don't have it.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 09:36 am
sorry lw - wrongo! ti's a fingers eyes thingy
0 Replies

souldoctor73

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 09:58 am
Lightwizard wrote:
"Head of State," one I missed at the theaters and will have to rent as Ebert does give it a good review:

http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/ebert_reviews/2003/03/032804.html

I wasn't as bowled over by "The Matrix" as some -- not a "I have to see that again" movie and I'm suspecting I'll have the same response to "Matrix Reloaded." Being a really avid science fiction fan in the 60's, I'm not often impressed by the Hollywood idea of good sci-fi. I found "The Matrix" rather over-loaded. But great effects.

But enough digression -- husker is just very genuine so I don't think anyone would find him cracked. He might crack you up, however -- he can get rather feisty and remarkably with the more self-important religious fanatics that sometimes come aboard. I observe that he just keeps it simple.

Interesting supposition to burn all the money but that'll never happen unless there's an apocalypse and that is dangerously possible with how our present administration is dealing with the world. They've just been given the rasberries in their campaign to ask for money and troops to help out in Iraq. I'd like to add a little whipped cream on top, cleverly mixed in with some crow.

It's not the 'movie' itself. It's the story. You mentioned apocalypse, well some people actually believe in such a day. I happen to be one. And yes, our little soldier boy is wrapping up the last days just right to usher in change. And trust me, I am not here breathing fire just to say I can do it. I plan to take it right to them, our leaders. Face to Face.

Which brings be to Matrix Relaoded. Nice special effects, yes, but Neo, Zion, the Lie concerning Zion, the pretense of the whole thing repeating itself endlessly, sorta like reincarnation. I can't wait to see par three. If this movie is any indicator, part three could be mind boggling.

I didn't suggest Matrix because it's 'cool' to see. There's a message for the ones looking for them. Then again, it could just be me, I happen to be looking for answers. And I keep finding them in the oddest of places. Have you ever read 'bible codes'? THey had an episode of this on Sci Fi, and the codes mentioned a 'comet or meteor' headed for us in 2012. CNN gave the same report just a few days before, comet in 2012, with a 1 in 900,000 chance of hitting us. But that's just coincidence, right?

I don't believe in coincidence. I have learned the hard way concerning that. So when I look, I look underneath for what may not be obvious. And if it appears to be a coincidence, it's almost a certainty that it's meant to be.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 02:19 pm
Reminds me of Vonnegut's "Player Piano" where the protagonist leads a revolt to rid us of machines. The final page of the book, someone wants an "Orange-O" soft drink, so what do they do -- they fix the coke machine...

Humanity is not going to be able to live in any kind of a contrived Utopia. There's a perfectionism in wanting to do away with the symbol of greed, the allmight buck. The implausibility of civilization doing without currency makes it strictly a pipe dream. (And that sure depends on what is in that pipe!)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 02:23 pm
I'm a big Vonnegut fan. I only hope that I can save enough money to move somewhere where it goes a lot further Smile
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 02:24 pm
Frued said there is no such thing as luck and Proust puts forth the proposition that we are all slaves of time.

"The Matrix" was over-simplified to a fault. The idea was not left up to any kind of intellectual pondering -- it was simply an allegory for oppressive governments. Done before in countless sci-fi stories going back into the forties. It's loosely based on several A. E. van Vogt stories including "Slan." Why didn't they just make "Slan" into a movie? It's way too cerebral, that's why. That's why Hollywood never tackled "The Demolished Man."
0 Replies

souldoctor73

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 04:59 pm
I suppose this would be how I differentiate myself from you. I'm on a time table. I don't presume any of you guys to be. I'm counting down to a specfic event. Each new day is one day closer to that tomorrow than yesterday. I just happen to be waiting for other folk to notice. 'Oversimplified Matrix' appears to me much like a sign of the times. Signs and wonders. Death and destruction. One or both.

So though it may appear that I bide my time here, pontificating, waiting until I die, that is not the case. I bide my time waiting. But I wait to live. Do recall, I may be irreligious, but I am most definately spiritual, so I don't suscbribe to luck. I believe in prophecy too, and I see it unfolding all around me. My efforts are to let folk know they are running out of time.

That is, if they care to know.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 08:42 am
(This is a thread I began and I would appreciate keeping on the topic).
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 09:37 am
And this should help ya keep it on topic ... all the Money-vs-Barter stuff is now in its own topic, here:
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12017
0 Replies