Floating Cities....Too Cool

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 12:12 pm
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1031438/Pictured-The-floating-cities-day-house-climate-change-refugees.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,510 • Replies: 32
No top replies

mismi

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 12:22 pm
It is very cool...I wonder if it can really work?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 01:49 pm
Who lives in a lily pad on top of the sea?
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 02:04 pm
Sponge Bob Square Pants
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 02:11 pm
No.

it goes -
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooh

who lives in a pineapple under the sea

sponge .bob .square .pants.

absorbent and yellow and porus is he

(doing this from memory is embarassing )

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=O1A_dcMdrwc
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 02:32 pm
What utter rubbish.

50,000!! How many of these things will be required. There's millions of empty acres in the US, Russia, China etc etc.

And if they can float anywhere won't they all end up arguing about where to float to. Will they rock gently in the typhoons and hurricanes? Cripes- no snooker. How on earth will they get a mis-spent youth?

Suppose all the 50,000 lucky refugees go to the same end. To see a rock concert say.

Which state authority will they recognise?

One advantage though is that waste disposal systems would be easy. Imagine the Waldorf dropping it straight into the ocean and floating gently along leaving a ****-slick along the surface to be eaten by shrimps which can then be farmed and served up as delicacies in the restaurants.

That's a plus.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 02:55 pm
That's gross Spendi...though you bring up some very good points...that last one - yuck.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 02:56 pm
Oh me too Shewolf...know it by heart. Razz
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 03:31 pm
They say here that it is impossible to underestimate the stupidity of Daily Mail readers and this story is a good example.

What about exogamy- the prime mover of biological improvement it is said. 50,000 will be pretty inbred after 3 generations I imagine.

What would they do all day? What currency would they use? If they are for refugees there will 10,000 under 12 and 15 to 20 thousand economically useless. And all skint and not very well educated as is the way with refugees.

Will there be prisons and courts and how many people will be required for that sort of thing. Teachers, doctors, lawyers and whatnot. They might outnumber the refugees.

It's fatuous. Building out to sea and filling the open spaces is much the best way of dealing with the problem and that's assuming there is a problem.

What the Daily Mail wants is for its readers to keep buying the products it advertises and this sort of story allows them to indulge the notion that it's okay for them to do so because it'll all be taken care of by technology and they have no need to feel any pangs of guilt.

If the scheme was placed upon the Minister's desk he spray bits of dunked McVitie's Digestive over the papers of state and look at the calender to see if it was April 1st.

Do refugees from flooding get precedence over refugees from drought and famine or wars.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 04:08 pm
I think I would prefer The World over the lily pad...

And certainly over the way Kevin Costner lived in Water World.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 04:14 pm
i would prefer any land, even if it's in Siberia, I think.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 05:17 pm
Siberia is a wonderful place. It's easy there to persuade a wife to bottle fruit and salt some beaver for a few weeks and to snuggle down for the rest of the time with the shutters up.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 05:47 pm
which is why i'm not anybody's wife. salt your own darned beaver Very Happy
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 06:03 pm
I gave it up actually.

I discovered Marks and Spencers.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 08:03 pm
dagmaraka wrote:

And if we could just get enough global warming, Siberia might become quite a pleasant place to live. No need for moving to the sea.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 08:15 pm
They are doing something similar in Dubai:

Dubai's Floating Ambition
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 09:00 pm
Sounds like he wants to be the next Buckminster Fuller. Buckminister Fuller's Cloud 9 concept was for floating geodesic domes in air.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 09:05 pm
Thomas wrote:
dagmaraka wrote:

And if we could just get enough global warming, Siberia might become quite a pleasant place to live. No need for moving to the sea.

Permafrost is melting as we speak.

Once the bogs dry up, it will likely be very pleasant.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 09:06 pm
Kinda resonates with James Blish's Cities In Flight series
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2008 04:27 am
I read that the thawing of the permafrost will lead to a massive amount of carbon dioxide being released and a most objectionable smell similar to that when a freezer breaks down unattended.

Quote:
Constructing floating houses or restaurants or even villages is an idea that first came to him in his native Holland, where land to build on is scarce and water is plentiful.

Isn't Mr van de Camp an original thinker?
0 Replies