DNA Was Designed By A Mind

real life

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 07:37 am
Setanta wrote:
real life wrote:
Setanta wrote:
The member "real life" failed entirely to understand the shopping list metaphor for replication, Parados . . . just as he failed to understand everything else which Shapiro, Dyson, et al have written . . .

Expecting the garbage bag to 'be growing by accretion of fresh garbage from outside' (Dyson's concept) while not altering the 'very rare' balance and concentration of specific catalysts and raw resources which are engaged in ongoing metabolic activity is a study in the miraculous, IMHO.

Your opinion deserves to be humble, given the ignorance you display. Single cell plants and animals complete their life cycles and reproduce typically in 20 minutes--twenty minutes for a generation. Even if you stretch that to say that the first lipid membranes surrounding catalytic small molecules as per Dyson and Shapiro had generations of one hour, that's 24 generations per day, 8760 generations per annum. As Farmerman has pointed out, you have a window of at the least, 300,000,000 years. That's 26,280,000,000,000 potential generations.

The archaea are a few microns in length (that's one one-millionth of a meter, bright boy, and a meter is 39.37 inches--so we're talking really, really tiny). So, applying the math to the available surface area of the seas, which is well over 350 billion square meters, and ignoring the added consideration of depth, even if the odds were one trillion to one against any particular lipid sack accumulating catalytic small molecules and dividing to produce "offspring" containing the same chemicals--in more than two dozen quintillion potential generations over a surface are of 350 billion square meters, each one of which can potentially contain billions of lipid spheres, the probabilities are enormous beyond your paltry imagining.

If you're talking pale violet grains of sand, and saying they're rare, on the scope of all the grains of sand on all the beaches and lake shores and river banks of the earth, there's gonna be an awful goddamned lot of pale violet grains of sand.

What an idiot.

I was hoping someone would try to make the mathematical argument.

So, the oceans should be teeming with this variety of life (i.e. metabolically active spheres with no dna/rna). Where is it?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 07:44 am
farmerman wrote:
RL
Quote:
Of course, ludicrous explanations like this are based on NO evidence that they actually happened, but we're expected to take them on faith.
. ALl discovery starts with an explanation of a phenomena or problem. Speaking of lewdicrus, I suppose science could sit on its ass and parrot Bible Babble , which, not only evidence free, but has no isea even how to formulate the specific questions.

NOONE is asking anyone to take anything on faith. Youseem to forget that these are two scientists , speaking their minds and posing options. They dont pose it as any "revealed truth" (like some folks we know Twisted Evil ).
Right now these are "mind experiments" similar to those that J Tuzo Wilson played when he came up with Plate Tectonics, or Einstein when he was mentally riding a light beam and came up with the basis for special relativity.

I wouldnt want you to rack your brain trying to deconstruct the "mind experiments" of the two biochemical hypothses, so we wont even mention the many other hypotheses that exist re, the origin of life.

If youre huckstering for a Creator, youre not putting on a very convincing show. All I see is someone who has painted himself into a corner of limited origin options (actually you only "believe" in but one option) and cant allow anything else in the realm of possibility to permeate your skull. Once you accept a divine creator, all reserch options are out, an all available evidence must be vehemently denied like a good little Borg.

I know you cant accept this but science will engage in heaps of "mind expeiments" and conjecture and modelling and will look for more environmental evidence and then propose and test several options,. The reason science does this is because , the Biblical story had long ago been tested and found to be only myth when closely inspected.

Since you have but one creation myth in mind, I wonder what your guys will do when the Lakota or Ojibway Creation legends are being "critically"discussed in Louisiana schools next year.

I have no problem with these good gentlemen speculating. I only ask that it be clearly labeled as such. But typically it's not.

Disclaimers to the effect that 'there is no evidence to support that this actually happened, but this is what COULDA happened if substantial odds were ovecome..........' would be appropriate.

But pronouncements by men of the white robe often are issued as if they were on tablets of stone. You know it's so , don't kid us by pretending otherwise.

The air of certainty is a vital tool in securing grant money for further research.

Let the speculation begin. (And let's call it what it is.)
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 07:48 am
rosborne979 wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
real life wrote:
...Of course, ludicrous explanations like this are based on NO evidence that they actually happened, but we're expected to take them on faith.

Doesn't this describe your theory of the origins of life exactly?

Nice. Smile

I find that so called 'scientific' explanations of origins often have no more 'scientific evidence' to them than religious ones.

And I think I've pointed this out on more than one occasion.

Often a so-called 'scientific theory' is nothing more than supernaturalism dressed in a lab coat.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 07:59 am
Noone ever labeled it as "Gospel" oops, sorry for the use of that term Embarrassed

The only folks that are making beleive that what Shapiro et al had said was actually what happened is YOU RL. I can understand that you wish to discredit by assigning a "false mantel" of finality . I dont think anyone is buying your load of manure.

SCience will always be about discovery, conjecture, modelling, testing, searching, falsifying, evidence hunting etc. It may take years or months. Please dont try to paint a picture of finality from only partial fact and scientific conjecture.

CAre to make a side-by-side comparison as to how you guys perceive earths history and the origins of life?

I love a good chuckle.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 08:16 am
farmerman wrote:
Noone ever labeled it as "Gospel"

But it is treated as such and anyone who dares question the scientific consensus is assumed to be crazy or lying or hopelessly stupid or whatever.

You can't have been in these discussions long without knowing this is so.

Clearly label your conjecture as conjecture and we'll get along famously, fm.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 08:21 am
real life wrote:
So, the oceans should be teeming with this variety of life (i.e. metabolically active spheres with no dna/rna).

Upon what basis do you make that claim? Do you allege that the environment now is the same as it was more than 2,000,000,000 years ago? This is horseshit on the order of that stupid attempt you made to advance the young weak sun paradox, which is no paradox at all, because it only works if you assume that the atmosphere billions of years ago was the same as it is today. Do you allege that the oceans billions of years ago were identical to those on the earth today? If you do, upon what basis do you make such an allegation? In fact, if you make that claim, you will be wrong; dead wrong, in fact, from the point of view of life.

Three and half billion years ago, there was almost no free oxygen on the earth. Geological evidence suggests that there may have been as much as 100 times more carbon-dioxide in the atmosphere as there is today. Free oxygen is a poison gas to many forms of life which survive in the present day, and which are descended from the earliest forms of life. Do you not understand just how disastrous the rise of cyanobacteria was for life on earth? Do you not understand that the oceans billions of years ago had almost no free oxygen dissolved in the water, and that what was there was quickly removed by free radicals in the water, such as iron? Do you not understand that the rise of cyanobacteria lead to what can be alleged to be the greatest extinction event in the history of life? Do you not understand that anaerobic organisms only survive today in portions of the ocean floor (such as volcanic vents) which contain little or no free oxygen? Do you not understand that, therefore, it is highly unlikely that any life form exactly like those which existed before free oxygen was common in the oceans and the atmosphere still survives?

Apparently, you don't understand such rather basic things. Apparently, you are so ignorant that you can pose a question which so glaringly demonstrates your ignorance.

Given that you have repeatedly stated that you believe the earth to be on the order of thousands of years old, are you not being fundamentally dishonest to engage in such arguments at all?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 09:20 am
actually between 3.8 and 3.5 BYa oxygen began to appear in the oceans. This is well evidenced and that evidence provides a trail of how experiments can proceed. RLs post tries to make it appear that no evidence exists and this is ALL just mental masturbation (well there is some mental masturbation involved, scientists dont just sit on their asses and read the Bible and try to draw answers from its pages).

Molecular kinetis and equilibria are all rationale approaches and the problem with how xNA could be formed in a blinding point in time has always troubled scientists. MAny have stubbornly pursued the RNA world "hypothesis" unaware that its not much less a complicated polymer than DNA. What came before and what constituted life is where the new areas of inquiry are gone to.
RL wants the methodology of science to become the message in finality. Thats just Creationist Crappula.
As far as calling CReationists stupid, one has to wonder how one would fail to read a roadmap when one never traveled into new territory. That analogy is sorta what RL and his ilk do all the time. "The Bible is inerrant and thats all they need worry about"

Notice how RL and fans keep avoiding the topic, yet demanding evidence from science.

AFter all it was a RL clone who posted thethread no?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 09:36 am
Setanta wrote:
real life wrote:
Setanta wrote:
real life wrote:
Setanta wrote:
The member "real life" failed entirely to understand the shopping list metaphor for replication, Parados . . . just as he failed to understand everything else which Shapiro, Dyson, et al have written . . .

Expecting the garbage bag to 'be growing by accretion of fresh garbage from outside' (Dyson's concept) while not altering the 'very rare' balance and concentration of specific catalysts and raw resources which are engaged in ongoing metabolic activity is a study in the miraculous, IMHO.

Your opinion deserves to be humble, given the ignorance you display. Single cell plants and animals complete their life cycles and reproduce typically in 20 minutes--twenty minutes for a generation. Even if you stretch that to say that the first lipid membranes surrounding catalytic small molecules as per Dyson and Shapiro had generations of one hour, that's 24 generations per day, 8760 generations per annum. As Farmerman has pointed out, you have a window of at the least, 300,000,000 years. That's 26,280,000,000,000 potential generations.

The archaea are a few microns in length (that's one one-millionth of a meter, bright boy, and a meter is 39.37 inches--so we're talking really, really tiny). So, applying the math to the available surface area of the seas, which is well over 350 billion square meters, and ignoring the added consideration of depth, even if the odds were one trillion to one against any particular lipid sack accumulating catalytic small molecules and dividing to produce "offspring" containing the same chemicals--in more than two dozen quintillion potential generations over a surface are of 350 billion square meters, each one of which can potentially contain billions of lipid spheres, the probabilities are enormous beyond your paltry imagining.

If you're talking pale violet grains of sand, and saying they're rare, on the scope of all the grains of sand on all the beaches and lake shores and river banks of the earth, there's gonna be an awful goddamned lot of pale violet grains of sand.

What an idiot.

I was hoping someone would try to make the mathematical argument.

So, the oceans should be teeming with this variety of life (i.e. metabolically active spheres with no dna/rna). Where is it?

Upon what basis do you make that claim? Do you allege that the environment now is the same as it was more than 2,000,000,000 years ago? This is horseshit on the order of that stupid attempt you made to advance the young weak sun paradox, which is no paradox at all, because it only works if you assume that the atmosphere billions of years ago was the same as it is today. Do you allege that the oceans billions of years ago were identical to those on the earth today? If you do, upon what basis do you make such an allegation? In fact, if you make that claim, you will be wrong; dead wrong, in fact, from the point of view of life.

Three and half billion years ago, there was almost no free oxygen on the earth. Geological evidence suggests that there may have been as much as 100 times more carbon-dioxide in the atmosphere as there is today. Free oxygen is a poison gas to many forms of life which survive in the present day, and which are descended from the earliest forms of life. Do you not understand just how disastrous the rise of cyanobacteria was for life on earth? Do you not understand that the oceans billions of years ago had almost no free oxygen dissolved in the water, and that what was there was quickly removed by free radicals in the water, such as iron? Do you not understand that the rise of cyanobacteria lead to what can be alleged to be the greatest extinction event in the history of life? Do you not understand that anaerobic organisms only survive today in portions of the ocean floor (such as volcanic vents) which contain little or no free oxygen? Do you not understand that, therefore, it is highly unlikely that any life form exactly like those which existed before free oxygen was common in the oceans and the atmosphere still survives?

Apparently, you don't understand such rather basic things. Apparently, you are so ignorant that you can pose a question which so glaringly demonstrates your ignorance.

Given that you have repeatedly stated that you believe the earth to be on the order of thousands of years old, are you not being fundamentally dishonest to engage in such arguments at all?

Notice how your 'Extinction Argument' makes your earlier 'Numerical Argument' rather useless?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 10:30 am
Quote:
. Missed this point . Was this made in the recent few days?

RL fails to recognize that some forms of archeobacter still exist. However, since they are the most primitive, they dont use CO2/O2 respiraton, but HS and COS and H2S respiration. (Sort of what we see at ocean vents and "smokers")

Not exactly teeming but RL, you must realize that the earths environment has changed significantly since just before the BAnded Iron Sands and the late ARchean cherts.

Your arguments are sort of A backhanded "falsifiability " argument, which , from, ev-idence provided by the stratigraphy of the planet, passes muster for the sciemtific hypotheses.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 12:39 pm
real life wrote:

Notice how your 'Extinction Argument' makes your earlier 'Numerical Argument' rather useless?

No, it doesn't.

Your attempt at a numerical argument was laughable. 1 chance in 300 trillion doesn't equate to 300 trillion creatures. I guess you disagree with award winning jr high math teachers as well as award winning chemists.

Your attempt to claim extinction makes the earlier argument useless is just as laughable. The earth was once "teeming" with dinosaurs but I don't see any roaming around today. Do you? Let us know when the creationism museum finds one, will you?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 02:43 pm
real life wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
real life wrote:
...Of course, ludicrous explanations like this are based on NO evidence that they actually happened, but we're expected to take them on faith.

Nice. Smile

I find that so called 'scientific' explanations of origins often have no more 'scientific evidence' to them than religious ones.

That's ok, we find from your posts that you don't know the first thing about science, so we're not surprised that you are unable to see the obvious differences.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 03:46 pm
Im actually starting to feel sorry for RL.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 04:11 pm
farmerman wrote:

Ignorance is bliss. He'll be fine Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 05:20 pm
real life wrote:

So you missed the part about cyanobacteria altogether, huh?

Your stupidity is incredible. The reason anaerobic life forms were extinguished (although not entirely, evolved versions survive to this day in environments in which they are not exposed to free oxygen) is because life forms which respired free oxygen and weren't poisoned by it took over.

Really, your stupidity is almost incomprehensible.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 05:25 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
farmerman wrote:

Ignorance is bliss. He'll be fine Smile

He must be one of the most blissful people on earth . . . it's obvious that he knows nothing about chemistry and nothing about biology. I guess the fact that he's so blissful explains why he doesn't let his profound ignorance deter him.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 05:29 pm
but still...
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 05:40 pm
I can't resist.

Sperm is a chemical. Tell us all about that Mr Chemical and Biology Professor.

We know about CO2 turning lime water milky. And we know about saying that somebody knows nothing about chemistry and biology is intended to imply that the asserter is an expert.

So explain about sperm and give us the benifit of your wisdom. It is a substance at the nexus of the subjects and it's reasonable for us to assume you "majored" in them otherwise you wouldn't be able to assess, as a peer-reviewer, that rl knows nothing about them.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 05:42 pm
"And yet" is the accepted literary style fm.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 08:56 pm
Such proscriptions are for small minds . Dont you understand that literature is a creative effort? From your writing Id have to guess NO.. AND YET...,

Do you still wank in public spendi?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 09:42 pm
real life wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
real life wrote:

Nice. Smile

And I think I've pointed this out on more than one occasion.

Often a so-called 'scientific theory' is nothing more than supernaturalism dressed in a lab coat.

A fundamental question about any theory regarding facts is whether there is sufficient evidence to believe it's the truth. It is exactly on this basis that you challenge the theory of evolution. Since this is a valid question for any theory purporting to give facts, it's also valid for religious theories. You are afraid to have your theory of the origins of life tested by the same standards of evidence you apply to others.
0 Replies