DNA Was Designed By A Mind

parados

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 03:42 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:

The question he ignores over and over. He attacks our belief on the basis of insufficient evidence, and simply ignores all requests that he produce evidence to support his own stated theory. This is fundamentally unfair. Does God demand that you argue unfairly?

Of course real life's god demands he act unfairly. Otherwise real life would have no justification for his actions.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 03:45 pm
parados wrote:
real life wrote:
parados wrote:
real life wrote:
Interesting stuff here.

Quote:
Did DNA replication evolve twice independently?[/size]

Leipe DD, Aravind L, Koonin EV.
National Center for Biotechnology Information, National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health, Building 38A, Bethesda, MD 20894, USA.

DNA replication is central to all extant cellular organisms. There are substantial functional similarities between the bacterial and the archaeal/eukaryotic replication machineries, including but not limited to defined origins, replication bidirectionality, RNA primers and leading and lagging strand synthesis. However, several core components of the bacterial replication machinery are unrelated or only distantly related to the functionally equivalent components of the archaeal/eukaryotic replication apparatus. This is in sharp contrast to the principal proteins involved in transcription and translation, which are highly conserved in all divisions of life. We performed detailed sequence comparisons of the proteins that fulfill indispensable functions in DNA replication and classified them into four main categories with respect to the conservation in bacteria and archaea/eukaryotes: (i) non-homologous, such as replicative polymerases and primases; (ii) containing homologous domains but apparently non-orthologous and conceivably independently recruited to function in replication, such as the principal replicative helicases or proofreading exonucleases; (iii) apparently orthologous but poorly conserved, such as the sliding clamp proteins or DNA ligases; (iv) orthologous and highly conserved, such as clamp-loader ATPases or 5'-->3' exonucleases (FLAP nucleases). The universal conservation of some components of the DNA replication machinery and enzymes for DNA precursor biosynthesis but not the principal DNA polymerases suggests that the last common ancestor (LCA) of all modern cellular life forms possessed DNA but did not replicate it the way extant cells do. We propose that the LCA had a genetic system that contained both RNA and DNA, with the latter being produced by reverse transcription. Consequently, the modern-type system for double-stranded DNA replication likely evolved independently in the bacterial and archaeal/eukaryotic lineages
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10446225

Interesting isn't it that life could exist without double stranded DNA? DNA might have evolved after organisms already existed.

Didn't you claim it couldn't real life? Hmm.. really interesting. Real life is more than happy to post stuff without seeing the real implications of it.

They are not proposing that living organisms existed without DNA.

They are proposing that the present DNA evolved in existing life. Something you claimed couldn't happen.

Does that mean you think they have no evidence?

Do you think they are proposing that living organisms existed without DNA?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 03:48 pm
parados wrote:
Quote:
Today, sophisticated double-layered cell membranes, made of chemicals classified as lipids, separate living cells from their environment. When life began, some natural feature probably served the same purpose. David W. Deamer of the University of California, Santa Cruz, has observed membrane-like structures in meteorites. Other proposals have suggested natural boundaries not used by life today, such as iron sulfide membranes, mineral surfaces (in which electrostatic interactions segregate selected molecules from their environment), small ponds and aerosols.

In fact, it seems that Shapiro didn't even suggest that lipid membranes were the likely container. He only states that something served the same purpose.

real life yet again is reduced to lying about what Shapiro said

Please read the article before commenting.

Quote:
A system of reproduction must eventually develop. If our network is housed in a lipid membrane, then physical forces may split it, after it has grown enough. (Freeman Dyson has described such a system as a "garbage-bag world" in contrast to the "neat and beautiful scene" of the RNA world.)
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=a-simpler-origin-for-life
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 03:48 pm
real life wrote:

How does the critter keep toxic waste product from building up inside?
You really didn't read Shapiro, did you?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 03:51 pm
real life wrote:
parados wrote:
real life wrote:

They are proposing that the present DNA evolved in existing life. Something you claimed couldn't happen.

I didn't say that, did I?

poor real life, forced to make up statements by others so he has an argument.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 03:54 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
real life wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
His approach is apparently to attack us for not having proof of every step in our reasoning, and then to pretend not to see when we ask him for evidence to support his own beliefs. I would think that it would be apparent even to him how unfair that is.

What's unfair, Mr. 'We Have the Exact Mechanics Down' ?

You are the guys who claim, 'we've got all the evidence and you've got none'.

So why's it unfair to ask you to produce evidence?

Because you simply ignore every request asking you to provide evidence for your theory of the formation of life on Earth. How many times do I have to say it?

The question he ignores over and over. He attacks our belief on the basis of insufficient evidence, and simply ignores all requests that he produce evidence to support his own stated theory. This is fundamentally unfair. Does God demand that you argue unfairly?

It is somewhat humorous to see a moral relativist say that ANYTHING is 'unfair'.

Upon what do you base your concept of 'fairness', and why should I agree to it?

As I've said, I'm not the one who pretends to 'have the exact mechanics down'.

Let's check to see who that was.............................

oh yeah , it was you.

I expect you to be consistent with what you claim, just as I am consistent with mine.

If you 'have the exact mechanics down', then I would expect detailed explanations of how things occurred with no hem haw 'well we think it MAY have happened this way'.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 03:56 pm
parados wrote:
real life wrote:
parados wrote:
real life wrote:

Where did I attribute a statement to you?

That is your forte.........'oh so you are now saying..........'

Keep your projection to yourself.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 04:10 pm
real life wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
real life wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
His approach is apparently to attack us for not having proof of every step in our reasoning, and then to pretend not to see when we ask him for evidence to support his own beliefs. I would think that it would be apparent even to him how unfair that is.

What's unfair, Mr. 'We Have the Exact Mechanics Down' ?

You are the guys who claim, 'we've got all the evidence and you've got none'.

So why's it unfair to ask you to produce evidence?

Because you simply ignore every request asking you to provide evidence for your theory of the formation of life on Earth. How many times do I have to say it?

It is somewhat humorous to see a moral relativist say that ANYTHING is 'unfair'.

Upon what do you base your concept of 'fairness', and why should I agree to it?

As I've said, I'm not the one who pretends to 'have the exact mechanics down'.

Let's check to see who that was.............................

oh yeah , it was you.

I expect you to be consistent with what you claim, just as I am consistent with mine.

If you 'have the exact mechanics down', then I would expect detailed explanations of how things occurred with no hem haw 'well we think it MAY have happened this way'.

You have a theory of the creation of life on Earth. You believe that it is reasonable for someone to accept that theory as probably true. We think it is reasonable for someone to accept our theory as probably true. You demand that we provide evidence that our theory is likely true. What evidence do you have that your theory is likely true? Since you demand that we support our belief with evidence, you must, in fairness, be willing to do the same. It is fundamentally unfair to demand that we give evidence that we're right, but refuse to give any evidence that you're right.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 04:16 pm
real life wrote:
parados wrote:
Quote:
Today, sophisticated double-layered cell membranes, made of chemicals classified as lipids, separate living cells from their environment. When life began, some natural feature probably served the same purpose. David W. Deamer of the University of California, Santa Cruz, has observed membrane-like structures in meteorites. Other proposals have suggested natural boundaries not used by life today, such as iron sulfide membranes, mineral surfaces (in which electrostatic interactions segregate selected molecules from their environment), small ponds and aerosols.

In fact, it seems that Shapiro didn't even suggest that lipid membranes were the likely container. He only states that something served the same purpose.

real life yet again is reduced to lying about what Shapiro said

Please read the article before commenting.

Quote:
A system of reproduction must eventually develop. If our network is housed in a lipid membrane, then physical forces may split it, after it has grown enough. (Freeman Dyson has described such a system as a "garbage-bag world" in contrast to the "neat and beautiful scene" of the RNA world.)
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=a-simpler-origin-for-life

Quote:
A system of reproduction must eventually develop. If our network is housed in a lipid membrane, then physical forces may split it, after it has grown enough. (Freeman Dyson has described such a system as a "garbage-bag world" in contrast to the "neat and beautiful scene" of the RNA world.) A system that functions in a compartment within a mineral may overflow into adjacent compartments. Whatever the mechanism may be, this dispersal into separated units protects the system from total extinction by a localized destructive event. Once independent units were established, they could evolve in different ways and compete with one another for raw materials; we would have made the transition from life that emerges from nonliving matter through the action of an available energy source to life that adapts to its environment by Darwinian evolution.
Yep, as usual, real life is guilty of very selective reading.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 04:19 pm
real life wrote:
parados wrote:
real life wrote:
parados wrote:
real life wrote:

Where did I attribute a statement to you?

That is your forte.........'oh so you are now saying..........'

Keep your projection to yourself.

Since you are claiming you didn't think I said any such thing that would make your question a non sequitur. I apologize for suggesting you were actually trying to make an argument.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 06:18 pm
real life wrote:
Setanta wrote:
What possible difference does that make?

Shocked

You phony expression of incredulity is meaningless in the face of your failure to demonstrate that life could not arise by chance. I have pointed out that you have not provided any evidence that "it could not have happened by chance," and i have pointed out to you that you have provided no evidence that DNA was "designed" by a mind. You have no response. That's because you have no argument. Oh, certainly, you have your continued statement from authority that it could not have happened by chance, but no one here has any reason to consider you an authority on biochemistry.

You have provided no evidence. The only reasonable conclusion is that you have no evidence to provide.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 06:21 pm
SWhapiro gave this followup to his "Skeptics Guide to the Origins of Life" which RL seems to be orgasming over
Quote:
We shall understand the origin of life within the next 5 years

Two very different groups will find this development dangerous, and for different reasons, but this outcome is best explained at the end of my discussion.

Just over a half century ago, in the spring of 1953, a famous experiment brought enthusiasm and renewed interest to this field. Stanley Miller, mentored by Harold Urey, demonstrated that a mixture of small organic molecules (monomers) could readily be prepared by exposing a mixture of simple gases to an electrical spark. Similar mixtures were found in meteorites, which suggested that organic monomers may be widely distributed in the universe. If the ingredients of life could be made so readily, then why could they not just as easily assort themselves to form cells?

In that same spring, however, another famous paper was published by James Watson and Francis Crick. They demonstrated that the heredity of living organisms was stored in a very large large molecule called DNA. DNA is a polymer, a substance made by stringing many smaller units together, as links are joined to form a long chain.

The clear connection between the structure of DNA and its biological function, and the geometrical beauty of the DNA double helix led many scientists to consider it to be the essence of life itself. One flaw remained, however, to spoil this picture. DNA could store information, but it could not reproduce itself without the assistance of proteins, a different type of polymer. Proteins are also adept at increasing the rate of (catalyzing) many other chemical reactions that are considered necessary for life. The origin of life field became mired in the "chicken-or-the egg" question. Which came first: DNA or proteins? An apparent answer emerged when it was found that another polymer, RNA (a cousin of DNA) could manage both heredity and catalysis. In 1986, Walter Gilbert proposed that life began with an "RNA World." Life started when an RNA molecule that could copy itself was formed, by chance, in a pool of its own building blocks.

Unfortunately, a half century of chemical experiments have demonstrated that nature has no inclination to prepare RNA, or even the building blocks (nucleotides) that must be linked together to form RNA. Nucleotides are not formed in Miller-type spark discharges, nor are they found in meteorites. Skilled chemists have prepared nucleotides in well-equipped laboratories, and linked them to form RNA, but neither chemists nor laboratories were present when life began on the early Earth. The Watson-Crick theory sparked a revolution in molecular biology, but it left the origin-of-life question at an impasse.

Fortunately, an alternative solution to this dilemma has gradually emerged: neither DNA nor RNA nor protein were necessary for the origin of life. Large molecules dominate the processes of life today, but they were not needed to get it started. Monomers themselves have the ability to support heredity and catalysis. The key requirement is that a suitable energy source be available to assist them in the processes of self-organization. A demonstration of the principle involved in the origin of life would require only that a suitable monomer mixture be exposed to an appropriate energy source in a simple apparatus. We could then observe the very first steps in evolution.

Some mixtures will work, but many others will fail, for technical reasons. Some dedicated effort will be needed in the laboratory to prove this point. Why have I specified five years for this discovery? The unproductive polymer-based paradigm is far from dead, and continues to consume the efforts of the majority of workers in the field. A few years will be needed to entice some of them to explore the other solution. I estimate that several years more (the time for a PhD thesis) might be required to identify a suitable monomer-energy combination, and perform a convincing demonstration.

Who would be disturbed if such efforts should succeed? Many scientists have been attracted by the RNA World theory because of its elegance and simplicity. Some of them have devoted decades of their career in efforts to prove it. They would not be pleased if Freeman Dyson's description proved to be correct: "life began with little bags, the precursors of cells, enclosing small volumes of dirty water containing miscellaneous garbage."

A very different group would find this development as dangerous as the theory of evolution. Those who advocate creationism and intelligent design would feel that another pillar of their belief system was under attack. They have understood the flaws in the RNA World theory, and used them to support their supernatural explanation for life's origin. A successful scientific theory in this area would leave one less task less for god to accomplish: the origin of life would be a natural (and perhaps frequent) result of the physical laws that govern this universe. This latter thought falls directly in line with the idea of Cosmic Evolution, which asserts that events since the Big Bang have moved almost inevitably in the direction of life. No miracle or immense stroke of luck was needed to get it started. If this should be the case, then we should expect to be successful when we search for life beyond this planet. We are not the only life that inhabits this universe.

Pretending to speak for one person by quote clipping is the way that RL and his Creation crowd keep the "debate" hot. I get a kick out of the stacked posts and counter posts that RL keeps going (and several others play into his game).
RL doesnt stand for anything truly scientific, hes a huckster that wants only to assume that there is some doubt in the methods of science. AS we should see it, many hypotheses develop concerning lifes origin. Only those that can be tested and tested again, followed by evidence , will withstand. Nothing will be develped by conferring credibility to the art of quote mining.
AS Leslie Orgel (a scientist of similar stature as Shapiro) says,
"Anybody who thinks they know the solution for the origins of life is deluded. BUT, anybody who thinks that this problem is insoluble is also delusional"
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 05:44 am
farmerman wrote:
Shapiro gave this followup
Robert Shapiro wrote:
We shall understand the origin of life within the next 5 years...

I think that Shapiro is headed for disappointment if he believes that:

Quote:
.........Monomers themselves have the ability to support heredity and catalysis.

They don't have the ability to hold and transfer information necessary for replication.

Quote:
The key requirement is that a suitable energy source be available to assist them in the processes of self-organization. A demonstration of the principle involved in the origin of life would require only that a suitable monomer mixture be exposed to an appropriate energy source in a simple apparatus. We could then observe the very first steps in evolution.

ooooo, some folks are gonna hate that 'first step in evolution' remark. They keep telling me that abiogenesis is NOT part of evolution, and here a stellar chemist goes and messes up their whole spiel.

but back to topic, an energy source alone is not sufficient.

you need information for replication.

and also all you've accomplished is moving the task of 'evolving' a replicator from the open environment (where you had plenty of available resources for potential random chemical activity) to the confines of a microorganism where your resources are extremely limited.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 06:01 am
And the evidence for that guy who hurls lightning bolts and appears to people as burning bushes? That is, of course, a very well documented and proven belief.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 06:04 am
real life wrote:
but back to topic, an energy source alone is not sufficient.

you need information for replication.

So after all you snide, hateful and sarcastic comments about whether or not we know more than "award-winning chemist Robert Shapiro," we're supposed to swallow a claim that you do? You, the bible-thumping idiot who has demonstrated over and over again in this thread that you don't understand even the simplistic explanations Shapiro gives in the article you cited? Give us a break--you are ignoring completely Shapiro's shopping list metaphor about replication, and the implications of Dyson's garbage bag metaphor for the constant appearance of energetic small molecules within lipid membranes.

This takes the cake--the bible-thumper who has sneered at everyone else with a bullshit claim that everyone else has said they know more than his "award-winning" chemist source now claims to know more than his award-winning chemist source.

Quote:
and also all you've accomplished is moving the task of 'evolving' a replicator from the open environment (where you had plenty of available resources for potential random chemical activity) to the confines of a microorganism where your resources are extremely limited.

You missed the entire point about Shapiro's small molecule thesis, didn't you?

What a f*ckin' moron--and you sneer at others for saying they know more than your award-winning chemist. You don't even understand the most basic point he was making.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 07:49 am
hes a trip aint he?

RL , our "award winning "Creationist now seems to be parting ways with his recent champion. .

Obviously,RL's cutting pasting and mining.

I suppose that this is the part of Shapiros discussion that RL has taken offense
Quote:

A very different group would find this development as dangerous as the theory of evolution. Those who advocate creationism and intelligent design would feel that another pillar of their belief system was under attack. They have understood the flaws in the RNA World theory, and used them to support their supernatural explanation for life's origin. A successful scientific theory in this area would leave one less task less for god to accomplish: the origin of life would be a natural (and perhaps frequent) result of the physical laws that govern this universe. This latter thought falls directly in line with the idea of Cosmic Evolution, which asserts that events since the Big Bang have moved almost inevitably in the direction of life. No miracle or immense stroke of luck was needed to get it started
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 07:52 am
RL quotes me quoting Shapiro[quote]Quote:
.........Monomers themselves have the ability to support heredity and catalysis.

They don't have the ability to hold and transfer information necessary for replication.

[/quote]
What information are you speaking of? The molecule itself IS the information ole fella. A garbage bag full of various molecules that transfer catalyzed duplicates of themselves, is the point. The "Media is the message" in this case its really true.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 09:09 am
farmerman wrote:
hes a trip aint he?

RL , our "award winning "Creationist now seems to be parting ways with his recent champion. .

Obviously,RL's cutting pasting and mining.

I suppose that this is the part of Shapiros discussion that RL has taken offense
Quote:

A very different group would find this development as dangerous as the theory of evolution. Those who advocate creationism and intelligent design would feel that another pillar of their belief system was under attack. They have understood the flaws in the RNA World theory, and used them to support their supernatural explanation for life's origin. A successful scientific theory in this area would leave one less task less for god to accomplish: the origin of life would be a natural (and perhaps frequent) result of the physical laws that govern this universe. This latter thought falls directly in line with the idea of Cosmic Evolution, which asserts that events since the Big Bang have moved almost inevitably in the direction of life. No miracle or immense stroke of luck was needed to get it started

my 'recent champion' ?

I've 'taken offense' ?

Maybe you haven't been paying attention, but I have repeatedly said that I agree with Shapiro on some points and disagree on others.

Funny, but he makes the same statement. He acknowledges that creationists see the 'RNA world ' as implausible (as he does. Shapiro has elsewhere referred to the 'lethal defect' of such a view) , but do not go along with him on 'cosmic evolution'.

Not sure what point you're trying to make FM, but you might want to forego the attempts at psychoanalysis until you have a license to practice. And then you'll need practice. Laughing
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 10:14 am
real life wrote:

Maybe you haven't been paying attention, but I have repeatedly said that I agree with Shapiro on some points and disagree on others.

We got that real life. It is the disingenuous nature that your god gave you that forces you to do what you do.

The science debate is
Scientist A - X is proposed as a hypothesis for given facts.
Scientist B - doesn't think X is the best answer because Y fits the facts better.
Scientist C - doesn't think Y is the answer because X does fit the facts better.

Real life says he agrees with B. (but he only agrees with the part in red) In reality, real life only is using B to try to prove that X can't be the answer. real life doesn't agree with B at all when it comes to Y. When someone argues that Y is the better answer then real life claims to agree with C. (but again only agrees with the red part)

But of course, they are real scientists and they know better than anyone unless real life is forced to actually disagree with them, then he is quick to point out they know less than real life
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 10:25 am
parados wrote:
...he is quick to point out they know less than real life

I don't think I've said anything of the kind.

I've stated my objections to his views, what of it?

Do you have an answer for my objections, or are you simply bothered that I would dare to differ from your opinion? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies