BBB still thinks Osama bin Laden is dead despite new video

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 09:50 am
I remain convinced that Osama bin Laden is dead. I think all video tapes of him were filmed before his death last year. The only current communication is from al-qaida's #2 man, Ayman al-Zawahri. Interestingly, a couple of months ago, there was a report that Zawahri was being held by the Iranian government, but nothing has been heard about that since.

Isn't it interesting that tape recorders can only operate via electricity or by battery(or, I suppose, a generator). If Zawahri is hiding in the mountains between Afghanistan and Pakistan, electricity or batteries may be very hard to obtain. They would be much more plentiful in Iran.

---BumbleBeeBoogie
------------------------------------------------------------

Sep 11, 2003
CIA Authenticates Audio Purporting to Be Voice of Osama Bin Laden's Deputy
By John J. Lumpkin, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - The CIA has authenticated a section of the audio on the new al-Qaida videotape as an actual recording of Osama bin Laden's chief deputy, but analysts are unsure whether the voice purported to be bin Laden himself is truly him, a CIA official said Thursday.
The videotape, aired Wednesday on the Arab al-Jazeera television network, has two voiceovers, one purportedly from bin Laden, and the other from his deputy, Ayman al-Zawahri. A CIA official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said agency analysts have determined that al-Zawahri's voice is authentic.

But the technical analysis of the section with bin Laden's voice is inconclusive, the official said. The analysis will continue, but the official acknowledged the CIA may not be able to make a final determination.

In speaking, al-Zawahri mentions the war in Iraq, which suggests it was recorded sometime since the fighting started in March. The voice purported to be bin Laden's speaks only of some of the Sept. 11 hijackers but makes no reference to more recent events.

U.S. intelligence officials said the tape is regarded as al-Qaida propaganda aimed at capitalizing on the Sept. 11 anniversary. Such messages let the network's rank-and-file know the leadership is still viable, officials said.

Officials also said messages from al-Qaida leaders sometimes presage an attack.

This story can be found at: http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGAXLT0XGKD.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 515 • Replies: 4
No top replies

jespah

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 06:03 am
Re: BBB still thinks Osama bin Laden is dead despite new vid
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
...Isn't it interesting that tape recorders can only operate via electricity or by battery(or, I suppose, a generator). If Zawahri is hiding in the mountains between Afghanistan and Pakistan, electricity or batteries may be very hard to obtain. They would be much more plentiful in Iran.

---BumbleBeeBoogie...

Why not via solar?

I don't think OBL is alive, either, but I don't think any of it has to do with the availability of batteries or the like.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 07:11 am
Wherever there is a car, one can put a AC-converter on it for usable electricity. No other batteries, solar, etc needed. A $300 AC-converter can produce 1500 watts of AC current from your car battery, just like the outlet in your house.

Or a light-weight and very quiet generator the size of two briefcases can produce 2000 watts for only $1000.

Osama probably has enough money for any gadgets he cares to buy. The only supply needed is gasoline.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 07:26 am
Totally forgot about a car battery - of course!
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 12:03 pm
I think Osama is really Elvis. Wink
0 Replies