I am amazed....

Tryagain

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 08:11 am
Re: I am amazed....
mismi wrote:
...I am a Southern, Christian of very Conservative political beliefs...

Mismi, a thousand vague and lachrymatory fancies took possession of my soul as I read your confession.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 09:00 am
And yet you still like me...right? At least when I am flirting with you. Jackass. Laughing

Lachrymatory...that is not a word used very often...I am impressed Razz :wink:

I must thank you all for your honest posts. I am quite happy to air out my insecurities here...and even happier to hear what you think.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 09:04 am
Good thread, mismi. I am glad you missed deleting your first post.

(I often get nervous and then try to delete something I posted.)
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 09:35 am
cj wrote :

Quote:
Politics and religious topis are not for the faint, and if one is easily hurt and sensitive, I suggest they bypass these threads altogether.

People here come from all walks of life, from different countries and
different backgrounds. Sometimes there are language barriers, sometimes
there are cultural differences that make for laughter, but also for misunderstandings and conflicts.

i'd agree with cj .
some just stick to the word games and post pictures , others just want to discuss politics (of all kinds) ,,, and so it goes ,,, a bit like the "dis-united nations" , isn't it .

i sometimes just want to stick my toe in ... and before i know it , i'm up to my neck in it ! :wink:

anyhow , i think mismi did as all a favour with her post !
let's discuss , agree , disagree , but let's at least try to stay away from personal attacks ... sometimes it does happen and i find that just stopping to respond will end things (of course , i don't always practice what i "preach" - DEAL WITH IT ! Shocked :wink: ) .
thanks to all for giving your "unbiased" views !
hbg

(first time i ever pressed HUGE - honestly !)
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 09:59 am
Well, Mismi, you got a lot of support.

So far nobody came here to mess up with you.

Aren't A2Kers nice?

Twisted Evil
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 10:24 am
I have been pleasantly surprised... Razz

Actually - I have never thought anyone is mean on purpose here...or just nasty just to be nasty. Not the folks that are here on a daily basis anyway...what I have been trying to do since I came here is disengage myself from my biases in order to broaden my understanding. To gain some empathy.

It truly is next to impossible not to attach a label to people when it is a part of who they are. And I do believe things that some here are vehemently opposed to...and it is difficult to be friends with someone who is so very different. And yet, we can make an effort. I don't expect everyone here to like me...and, actually that was not what this post was about. My posting was simply trying to free up those who believe as I do to post unencumbered. Because this is an intimidating bunch of folks. And yet, I am continually entertained, taught and amused by the lot of you...most of the time. :wink:
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 10:35 am
Watch out for Francis Misimi - a wolf in sheep's clothing if there ever was one (worse a secular French version). Twisted Evil

I think your impressions are accurate and that the explanation is that we are all human. The earnest advocates of the latest contemporary version of "right thinking" are, despite their illusions to the contrary, still subject to the same human failures of narrow-minded intolerance; prejudgement; and the delusion that they alone have found the "right" explanation for it all. The wierd part, of course, is that is precisely what they accuse others of doing. Their defense is that some of "us" act as though we are above reproach or error too.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 10:40 am
http://www.cryptomundo.com/wp-content/uploads/dont_mess_with_texas1.jpg

OR MISMI - whoever comes first ! :wink:
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 10:53 am
Mismi - I knew I liked you. I agree 100% with what you are saying and I see it all the time. Many times I have brought up my beliefs and if you are a Christian you are slammed as being intolerant by many people instantly. I have seen the opposite as well.

I often don't bring up my beliefs because I feel that suddenly I am less respected in my views - I am more a moderate.

So here you go a Northern moderate Christian - any more confessions - remember it is good for the soul.

Many times if you mention you are Christian instantly you are conservative and closed minded. I have on many times pointed out there are various Christian denominations and by instantly categorizing you by this belief, they themselves are being closed minded. And maybe just maybe a Christian viewpoint well could be right and ok.

And by the way I didn't realize you were a southern Christian, but I can be slow and I try not to let what some one said in one discussion affect my viewpoint of them. But now that I know I won't take anything you say seriously (kidding of course).

Sometimes I do enjoy the banter - I rarely take things very seriously though and on some rare occasion I will egg some on.

I just read shewolfnm's comments and I may have tried to point out before to her how she was being closed minded lumping all Christians in one category (not sure if it was her because I never remember who I disagreed with before), but I still like her.

But I am very odd and tend to march to the beat of different drummer any way.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 11:04 am
Mismi, I hope you weren't talking about me, because if you were, I am going to give you a verbal ass-whoopin' like you've never seen.

I'm kidding, of course. Actually, if I'm being totally honest here, I have a small virtual A2K crush on you.

But I have posted some things in the religious forum that, if you've read them, have probably offended you. I have a lot of issues when it comes to religion, especially Christians. Why? Here's why.

The beliefs of every single person in my born-again Christian family: Jesus is the way, the light, etc...

My beliefs: I fervently hope that there is no god, because if there is, I'm in a shitload of trouble.

Now, you can see how this kind of dynamic might lead one to put out angry and sometimes even vicious posts/threads on occasion, simply out of frustration, right? I need to vent sometimes and A2K is a great place to do that.

I hope this makes sense.

Now let's go somewhere and make out.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 11:12 am
<looks threateningly through slanty eyes>

Did someone say a Christian wandered in here? Laughing
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 11:31 am
kickycan wrote:
Actually, if I'm being totally honest here, I have a small virtual A2K crush on you.

No offense to mismi, but in itself, kickycan having a crush on an A2K female is nothing special. Smile
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 12:57 pm
kickycan wrote:
Mismi, I hope you weren't talking about me, because if you were, I am going to give you a verbal ass-whoopin' like you've never seen.

Now let's go somewhere and make out.

I think I have found the key to A2K'ers - they like to be smacked around a bit... :wink: Thanks Kicky...You ARE scary - but I like that about you.

Lash - you don't scare me a'tall :wink:

Linkat - I understand - thank you for your post...of course the South does bring all kinds of backward connotations to my beliefs. I am indeed from a long line of rednecks that I love with all my heart. So, trust me, when someone says something about being from Alabama - (and trust me - I hear ALL kinds of things about this state) I generally just try to blow it off. I have bitten my lip, or rather sat on my hands on many occasions realizing that most just believe what they want to ...Can't really know a place until you've lived there. At least that is what I believe.

Georgeob...we are indeed all human. This thread has already taken some of the fear out of many of the A2K'ers for me.

Wandel - thank you too...though I am crushed that I am not Kicky's special one. :wink:

hamburger - someone told me I was bold and bitchy this morning! It makes me laugh...truly not my style. Not sure what got into me last night...maybe those two Miller Chill's. :wink:
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 01:35 pm
Well, Mismi, I liked you before I knew you were a Conservative Christian.

hamburger wrote:
(first time i ever pressed HUGE - honestly !)

Really? I press huge all the time.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 02:15 pm
I think that means he still does. Laughing
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 02:50 pm
mismi wrote:
[
Linkat - I understand - thank you for your post...of course the South does bring all kinds of backward connotations to my beliefs. I am indeed from a long line of rednecks that I love with all my heart. So, trust me, when someone says something about being from Alabama - (and trust me - I hear ALL kinds of things about this state) I generally just try to blow it off. I have bitten my lip, or rather sat on my hands on many occasions realizing that most just believe what they want to ...Can't really know a place until you've lived there. At least that is what I believe.

So, I'm from Boston that makes me uptight and cold and unfriendly - but at least I'm not a redneck!
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 03:01 pm
It's true...uptight is generally much more acceptable than being a redneck..but you should try it sometime. Razz Being a redneck that is.

Quite freeing really. :wink:
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 03:03 pm
mismi wrote:
It's true...uptight is generally much more acceptable than being a redneck..but you should try it sometime. Razz Being a redneck that is.

Quite freeing really. :wink:

Well if I ever sell my place I'll be moving to Texas - will that count as being a redneck?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 03:12 pm
Well, mismi, now you've gone and done it. I liked you. Now, I'm not so sure. Sigh. Another bubble boist.

Fact is, I got a letter from an old and dear friend telling me that her in-laws were southern conservative Christians. I wrote back to commiserate (shame on my narrow-mindedness). She wrote back and firmly told me that no commiseration was necessary. These are warm, loving, caring people, one of whom is just a little nuts. Live and loin. And I'm living and loining--here and in the outside world.

This Noo Yawker is trying very hard to keep an open mind. Stumbling and learning as I go.

Thanks for starting this thread.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 03:12 pm
No. Counts as being damnyankee furriner, though.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » I am amazed....
  3. » Page 2
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/15/2024 at 04:00:52