I am amazed....

mismi

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 06:55 pm
Quite honestly I am amazed at this bunch of "enlightened" folks here on A2K. I am a pretty open minded person. I certainly don't shove my beliefs down anyones throat....and actually none of my friends, who are like me, do either. I came to A2K fascinated by the wealth of information here. My mistake was thinking that you all were as tolerant of others beliefs. That is not so. You don't get to know the people - I say you as a blanket...I mean many of you do not get to know how people work before you lambast them for believing as they do. Hell, you don't have to agree with them - but why do they have to be written off as crap because they don't think the same way everyone else does? According to some of the things you say you hate my guts, and you have no clue who I am...except that some of you may have figured...I am a Southern, Christian of very Conservative political beliefs. And this makes me...crazy? unlikable? intolerant? And do you know that because I am Southern, or, a Christian...or maybe Conservative?

edit: I say you are talking to me...not personally - just things about Christian Conservatives in general...I am offended...though I know I should not be.

I don't know many of you well enough to make judgements about you. I wouldn't openly say what I think of you since I don't know you. Some of you are in fact scary and I stay the heck away from you. Others I have tried to befriend and still feel that I am not quite good enough..which honestly I am not sure why I tried in the first place - except that it is a challenge of sorts.

And goodness - the crap you allow yourselves to be drawn into - it seems for the sake of drama and maybe even slight boredom you enjoy piling on someone to heap coals of scathing, often hurtful words that I expect to be more from highschool kids than older adults...which many of you are. Well...I find it unsettling at best when I accidentally come across the ick that is spewed here.

Now, all that being said. There are some of you who are amazing in your depth of insight, your desire to truly help others and to befriend and be kind to all who enter. I love this about A2K. I would not be here still if it were not for you. And I know you know who you are. No need to point fingers or call names. I am sure each I have named in this and the previous paragraphs know who you are.

But you know, we all do things when we are bored we wouldn't normally do. I know I do. Which is why I keep coming back I am sure. Quite honestly there is something about each individual here that makes this place as interesting to read through as it is to post. I laugh my head off at some of the folks I know would never like me - not for something ridiculous they said...but because they are truly clever and quite entertaining in their observations - and then other times I am quite offended and horrified by what I read. But bored...well...that rarely happens when I am on A2K. Washing dishes, folding laundry, cooking dinner...yawn...reading on A2K...not so much.

Thanks for the entertainment.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,094 • Replies: 93
No top replies

soozoo

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 07:16 pm
Very well said, msmi. I agree with most everything in your post and am looking forward to answers from some of the regular A2K'ers. I rarely post on A2K, mainly because of some of the things you have pointed out here.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 07:32 pm
Gosh, what an unmismi like post. Just keep sticking around and brightening things up, okay?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 07:34 pm
Re: I am amazed....
mismi wrote:
According to some of the things you say you hate my guts, and you have no clue who I am...except that some of you may have figured...I am a Southern, Christian of very Conservative political beliefs. And this makes me...crazy? unlikable? intolerant? And do you know that because I am Southern, or, a Christian...or maybe Conservative?

i must admit that i have certain preconceived ideas about southern christian conservatives, but i try not to pin them on anybody in particular unless they show themselves to fit my notions

i think that many SCC's find themselves suffering the same fate as many muslims, the most radical and vocal crazies are the people who get the most national attention, and in doing so set the impression that people have of them
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 07:38 pm
mismi, the first time I got my butt kicked (come to think of it, t'was on a religion thread) I was mortified. I had jumped in and started posting before getting to know all the players -- big mistake. I soon learned that A2K really is like a playground -- there are bullies and I've learned to steer clear.

As for the cat fights, they happen in the best of well regulated families. They blow over...or they don't. I still hold back a fair bit here even though I've been posting for two years. I like and respect a lot of the members but it's an open forum and not everyone is harmless. I will never understand people who thrive on conflict but as you say, it's never boring.
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 07:45 pm
Well Missy ....I, for one, am damn glad to have someone like you on this forum.

Even when I do not have much time to post, I run into your posts and they always make me smile. You are one awesome lady.

Oh, and don't feel bad.....I was told that people "like me" should never be allowed to have children shortly after I came on this forum. Why? Because I made a simple statement saying that I loved God. So heaven forbid that I might teach my children about God. Pretty horrible that people like me walk the face of this earth, I guess.

So, really........you just have to stay away (the best you can) from the ones that are very small minded, like that. Because, overall ....the biggest majority of people on this forum are not like that, at all. And the ones that are....well ya sort of have to expect it. It's pretty good sized place.

Anyhoo.......Missy, you ROCK! And don't you dare let anyone here make you feel differently.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 07:46 pm
Oh Yeah Tai Chi...I did the same thing...and I have to remember I too have my own preconceived notions about others that I have a tendency to believe. I certainly am not free from the temptation to pigeon hole. And of course...what would A2K be if everyone just sat around agreed or saw the other persons point of view...well - it would be boring! :wink:

thank you dj - I never thought of it that way...it is a good point.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 07:48 pm
Soozoo - that is why I posted this I think

Brooke - that was mighty sweet of you...thank you - I feel the same about you. Think you will be a great Mommy.

and thank you Roger - I was scared to death...I actually came back after dinner to delete it.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 08:00 pm
This is an integrated schoolyard and it doesn't take all kinds but we have them anyway with every damn one of us drawing conclusions on the wall of what everyone else is or should be. I have tried for many years now to just get everyone to agree that I am always right and never wrong, beyond reproach and I walk on water yet, there remain sceptics; go figure.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 08:14 pm
mismi wrote:
I actually came back after dinner to delete it.

I'm glad you didn't.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 08:35 pm
Tai Chi wrote:
mismi, the first time I got my butt kicked (come to think of it, t'was on a religion thread) I was mortified. I had jumped in and started posting before getting to know all the players -- big mistake. I soon learned that A2K really is like a playground -- there are bullies and I've learned to steer clear.

As for the cat fights, they happen in the best of well regulated families. They blow over...or they don't. I still hold back a fair bit here even though I've been posting for two years. I like and respect a lot of the members but it's an open forum and not everyone is harmless. I will never understand people who thrive on conflict but as you say, it's never boring.

Tai Chi's assessment of A2K is pretty realistic. Some things shocked me when I first started at A2K. I have adapted to the less harmful ones and learned from "rookie mistakes" that I made. However, there are still things that shock me, but this is a part of the world and anything can happen.

(i want to add that dyslexia is always right)
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 08:49 pm
Interesting topic mismi. People come here for different reason: many seek help and need reassurance, others want entertainment, some are lonely, and (I think) the majority is here to get different perspectives on whatever
subjects they choose to discuss.

Politics and religious topis are not for the faint, and if one is easily hurt and sensitive, I suggest they bypass these threads altogether.

People here come from all walks of life, from different countries and
different backgrounds. Sometimes there are language barriers, sometimes
there are cultural differences that make for laughter, but also for misunderstandings and conflicts.

There are likes and dislikes in people as it is in everyone's own world the
same. I have neighbors I get along with great, we hang out together and enjoy each others company. Other neighbors I just greet briefly and leave
it at that. As it is with most neighborhoods, disagreements and conflicts
will and do happen. It clears the air and I can decide if it's better to
ignore the neighbor afterwards, or if the conflict was resolved amicably,
and we remain on good terms.

a2k is not so different to the "real world" except people tend to be more
upfront here and you'll get to know a variety of people you won't have
in your neck of the woods Very Happy
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 08:58 pm
I think current politics have a lot to do with our view of Conservative Christians. A dozen years ago, I never really thought about this sector of our society, they did not impact my life very much. Other than the occasional Rush Limbaugh quote, I never felt threatened. Now I watch the news and see radical CC's protesting at military funerals because they think God is mad at the USA for letting gays get married, or some other such perceived sin. I see the new Supreme Court making decisions I find medieval, and I worry my nieces will not have the freedoms I have known. I see the man the CC's have put into power tell the world he does not care what opinion polls say - he's right and no one can make him stop behaving badly. I blame the Iraq war and vicious battle between political groups in America on Conservative Christians. I know it's not fair to lump a huge segment of society into a pigeon hole, but I do.

Things are always different on a personal level. One to one people are usually likable and common ground can be found. I agree this forum can be a battleground for futile turd hurling, and I try not to get sucked into those discussions. I like most of the people on this forum, I adore a few of them and I avoid about a half dozen of them. I think this forum is almost a miniature copy of our world. It is full of diverse opinions and personalities, but we solve our problems here with debate- ranging from nasty to humorous. Granted, feelings get hurt, and some of us take our marbles and go home. Some of us do this many times over. Overall, I think the harshness is not as prevalent as the genuine caring for one another that I have witnessed. So like in life, you get the cake with the calories. I've always thought you fit in just fine here, you roll with the punches and kick back when necessary. I admire the fact that you are a SAHM in a world that makes that difficult. I think you just have to accept the fact that we are all puny humans and we are entitled to be clueless at times. A final tip - it probably would help your mood to stay out of the Politics forum, I know it helps mine.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 09:54 pm
mismi...You think YOU'RE misunderstood? I'm a Southern Christian Liberal. Nobody gets me! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Actually, there are a lot of folks on here that defy pigeon-holing. That's what makes it interesting to me.
0 Replies

TilleyWink

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 02:34 am
I am new to this forum and enjoy reading through most of the topics. I agree it is hard to break the ice the regulars seem to know each other so well. Like you I keep coming back to read, laugh, and I am constantly amazed.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 04:11 am
Hey Missy....

Oh my! Well darlin' girl - you are my sunshine - and sunshine to many - but you know that.

I too will speak out if I feel strongly enough about something - or else I try to walk away, as my life is a minefield already, and judge and jury on opinion and beliefs - well, it can cut you down so there's nothing left. Not any more.

You keep on smiling gal - you know, I'm still finding my feet here - but I am pretty sure with everything I read - that A2K looks upon you and yours as nothing less than a wonderful asset and you make a lot of people here so happy when they see your avatar pop up. People here love you just for being YOU. Not for being Mom, wife, daughter and chief washer-upperer. Just because you are Mismi.

I love ya Dixie Girl - always be true to you - you don't need anyone to believe in you or your beliefs - you need to just believe in yourself.

You are different to a lot of people hunni - because you do listen - and you may not agree with everything, but you are prepared to listen to all angles of topics of discussion. There are some folk on A2K who do not - who would rather be conflicting or agressive or make you feel less than you really are and that your opinions are not worthy - they may not mean to, it is hard to interpret black and white type without intonation and folks eyes behind their words - those who really just wanna fight... well, they can go do that. Those who wanna discuss and learn - they can do that. Those who just wanna communicate with the world to make their world a better place - well, they can do that. Those who just want some company in their everyday - they can do that.

You do whatever makes you comfortable. Stay true to you Dixie - you are the best. All your opinions and beliefs are worthy - they belong to you. You may also find yourself changing your opinions on subjects the more you read and hear - I know I do - I've learned a whole new world here. Don't ever feel less than you are - you are priceless - and I know my world, and a bunch of other folks worlds, are so much better for having you as part of our life Very Happy

Oh... TilleyWink - hope you are feeling better. Do keep coming back. There are real good folk here.

Oh Oh... DYS - you may not always be right... but you are certainly never wrong (my PaPa's favourite saying!) :wink:
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 05:49 am
Re: I am amazed....
mismi wrote:
...I am a Southern, Christian of very Conservative political beliefs.

Oh my god.
It is time to call in the guards! Not another one

( runs away screaming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

:wink:

Ya know, I am Wiccan ,almost the exact opposite of you in political leaning and I dont honor the christian religion.
Eh. Doesnt matter to me. I think your really awesome.

But, I know I am guilty of slamming your religion as a whole and assuming everyone who follows will believe the same and are... less than..
Really. I do think that.. and I know damn well I should not. It is almost the equivalent of racism and unfair to people.

The odd thing is, when I meet someone (like you) who doesnt fit that profile, I still dont change my thoughts. I just sort of skip OVER that person when I make my sweeping statements as though.. since I have met you.. you no longer fit what you are.

I gotta remember sometimes that what I say can be real rude to those I dont intend it to be and that no one can hear my voice when I type.
Sometimes when I post the occasional christian 'bash'.. it is actually a joke. The same way I joke about black people , women, men, music, babies.. you name it. Off color jokes twist my nipples and make me laugh.

I hope nothing I have posted as ever come across to you as a personal slam/slander/insult. I will take your post as a reminder that I much need.. to really start paying attention to what I say.

I may crack myself up with my own stupidity.. but that doesnt go for the rest of the board..
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 05:50 am
Eva wrote:
I'm a Southern Christian Liberal. Nobody gets me! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Shocked
Oh my god.
Im surrounded!

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 06:39 am
TilleyWink wrote:
I am new to this forum and enjoy reading through most of the topics. I agree it is hard to break the ice the regulars seem to know each other so well. Like you I keep coming back to read, laugh, and I am constantly amazed.

If you keep talking to us, I promise we will talk back...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 07:02 am
We are all guilty of it, at one time or another. Whether directly, indirectly, subconsciously or blatantly.

But I think you'll see the majority of veteran members are pretty decent folk.

Most of the bashing and generalizations come in the religion and politics forums, not surprising since those are the biggest hot button topics.

I try and stay out of the politics and religion forums because I don't want to argue with people who refuse to see anyone's opinion but their own.

It's a wasted effort and I for one don't have time in this life to waste.

Good post. Very Happy
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » I am amazed....
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 03:53:53