Importing Baby products from China to Africa

Wed 18 Jun, 2008 01:12 pm
Hello,
I'm planning on opening a small boutique for baby products in Africa (Cameroon) and I would like to import baby products from China (Strollers, baby carriers, changing bags, travel beds, car seats, high chairs etc...). Do you think I can directly order online or do I have to travel to China and look for a trading company? I would like to order small quantities because I'm just starting my business. I checked different websites to start ordering from China but their minimum quantities are just too high for me.....

Concerning the Baby products fairs in China, Which ones can I attend to? Can somebody help me to answer these questions?

thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 4,565 • Replies: 7
Topic Closed
No top replies

Robert Gentel

Wed 18 Jun, 2008 01:20 pm
You don't have to go in person. But minimum orders isn't an internet thing, it's a business and logistics thing.

It's not profitable for the manufacturer to spend time shipping small amounts to one retailer.

In case you haven't yet done so, check out alibaba.com as that's a large directory of mainly Chinese manufacturers. If you want to know if your plan is viable contact them and ask, if it is they will be helpful.

A typical process is that you buy samples, they ship them and if you like you order a larger shipment but find the manufacturers there and find out what they can do for you.
Green Witch

Wed 18 Jun, 2008 04:14 pm
Re: Importing Baby products from China to Africa
babysangel wrote:
Hello,
I'm planning on opening a small boutique for baby products in Africa (Cameroon) and I would like to import baby products from China (Strollers, baby carriers, changing bags, travel beds, car seats, high chairs etc...). Do you think I can directly order online or do I have to travel to China and look for a trading company? I would like to order small quantities because I'm just starting my business. I checked different websites to start ordering from China but their minimum quantities are just too high for me.....

Concerning the Baby products fairs in China, Which ones can I attend to? Can somebody help me to answer these questions?

thanks.

You need what is called a "middle man" or wholesale distributor. This is someone who buys large quantities from the manufacturer and then sells to retail people like you. You can find wholesale distributors at trade shows or try searching on-line for wholesale businesses by using the words "baby products wholesale Africa".
0 Replies

babysangel

Wed 18 Jun, 2008 10:39 pm
Thank you very much. I already checked alibaba.com and it's true that they have a large directory of manufacturers. I will contact them directly for samples.
Concerning the ''middle men''/ wholesale distributors do I find them in China because I feel like the trade shows are not open for small retailers like me....
0 Replies

Green Witch

Thu 19 Jun, 2008 04:44 am
babysangel wrote:
Thank you very much. I already checked alibaba.com and it's true that they have a large directory of manufacturers. I will contact them directly for samples.
Concerning the ''middle men''/ wholesale distributors do I find them in China because I feel like the trade shows are not open for small retailers like me....

You will find middle men in your own country, they are the people who go to China for shows. They are people purchasing directly from the manufacturer in large quantities and then sellling to smaller buisness' like you. Trade shows should also exist in your own country if you live near a big city. I have never heard of manufacturers doing the sample thing.

Here is what I found when I searched with Dogpile:

Wholesale baby products Africa
0 Replies

windylj

Fri 24 Sep, 2010 07:54 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Dear Robert gentel
I am windy from China. We are specialized in manufacturing baby products,which are so special that different from other brands, it is unique and amazing. Such as diaper, feeding bottle, and so on, for more information,pls contact:stylewindy(at)yahoo doc com
0 Replies

superjuly

Thu 14 Oct, 2010 10:06 am
@babysangel,
Smart idea. I would recommend that you look for an international consultant for your business set up. It is not only about finding a supplier, there is a whole lot more involved. I could explain better, you can PM me if you wish.
0 Replies

monbasala

Wed 27 Oct, 2010 11:25 am
Hope i can give you a hand!
My girlfriend may be can help you! ,You could email me to [email protected]
0 Replies