Bond Opposes Takeover of Anheuser-Busch

Miller

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 07:21 am
BOND OPPOSES FOREIGN TAKEOVER OF ST. LOUIS' ANHEUSER-BUSCH COMPANY

June 12, 2008

WASHINGTON, DC - U.S. Senator Kit Bond today voiced his opposition to the possible takeover of Anheuser-Busch by foreign company InBev. In a letter sent to Attorney General Mukasey and Federal Trade Commission Kovacic, Bond urged the administration to protect the interests of Missourians and the American economy.

The text of the letter follows.
###
June 12, 2008

Dear Attorney General Mukasey and Chairman Kovacic:

Yesterday, it was announced that a Belgium company InBev, had made a bid to acquire an American company, Anheuser-Busch, which is based in the State of Missouri. The community I represent is adamantly opposed to this acquisition. The proposed foreign acquisition of Anheuser-Busch is troubling to me because it potentially raises antitrust issues under existing law by putting a significant market share of the U.S. in the hands of fewer competitors. I urge you to scrutinize closely InBev's proposed acquisition of Anheuser-Busch to protect the interests of American consumers and the U.S. economy.

As an American brewing company for over 150 years, Anheuser-Busch has been an iconic symbol of the United States and our heritage. Consumers throughout Missouri and the Nation have benefited from the many products provided by Anheuser-Busch throughout its history and as one of the largest beer manufacturers in the U.S., it plays a significant role in our Nation's economy. Further, the company, based in St. Louis, Missouri, is a major driver in the local, state and even national economy up and down the supply chain. Service to Missouri is not limited to the thousands employed or the immeasurable businesses that serve as suppliers to the company, it is also a major force for charitable and civic endeavors in the community.

It already is clear that the local sentiment is adamantly opposed to yielding control and threatening operations that have been beneficial to consumers, workers, American communities, and shareholders alike. That sentiment intends to be active, is growing by the moment, and is a sentiment I share.

Thank you for your attention and scrutiny to InBev's proposed acquisition of Anheuser-Busch and ensuring that the interests of Missourians and Americans are properly protected.

Sincerely,
Christopher S. Bond

Bond.senate.gov
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 848 • Replies: 2
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 08:16 am
Always interesting to see another conservative who is against Laissez-faire policies especially in the beer industry.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 08:45 am
Jaguar is now owned by Tata motors.

I'm gonna buy two, cuz nothign says success like a nice set of tatas.
0 Replies