Burritos you have known and loved

ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 06:45 pm
@edgarblythe,
I eat my own burritos many times a month.

warm the tortilla or wait if you are not ready.

Saute some stuff in a side pan - eggs or no eggs, or some possible of many veggies, with spices you like. Add meat that can be cooked quickly if you want to.
Rice or beans or..

Shut off both pans and wrap the warm tortilla with whatever you cooked. Enjoy.
Change recipe as occurs.

Me, I added farro to my last concoctions.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 07:53 pm
I love burritos, just not from Taco Bell. I eat a few almost every week.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 07:55 pm
weird conjunction

wanted to look up more about seaglass' reference to kalua pig burritos

and found someone reviewing taco bell's version of them in Hawaii

they're a thing!

http://tastyislandhawaii.com/2008/03/22/new-kalua-pig-luau-at-taco-bell/

interesting recipes at the blog

http://tastyislandhawaii.com/recipes/

I'm going to try

http://tastyislandhawaii.com/2007/05/28/portuguese-bean-soup/

(I'm going to have to cut the recipe in half , if not quarter it)
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 08:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
Hi Edgar, I can honestly say I have never been to a Taco Bell. After reading about your adventure, I never will.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 08:06 pm
@glitterbag,
I can't speak for Taco Bell in Hawaii, only Texas. My wife likes to go there, now and again, but I prefer to skip my meal.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 08:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
Pig burritos?
from a corporation?
My key meat, when I use meat, is from the pig.

All I can say is, La di da.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 08:40 pm
@ossobuco,
By now I don't remember if burritos qualify as from Mexico. I do get the interest in that. They may be californian, what do I know?

I'm sure my people I talk with in Mexico would laugh at or with me, and I would agree.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 08:49 pm
@fbaezer,
fbaezer wrote:

Go on with your burrito discussion but please mind it's not a Mexican creation.
It's actually an fusion of a taco de machaca with flour tortilla and US ingredients (rice, sour sauce, even cheese, garlic, spinach!).
I have eaten several flour tortillas tacos, but honestly, I have never ever eaten a burrito.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 08:53 pm
then again

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burrito

Quote:
The precise origin of the modern burrito is not specifically known.

However, it is most usually acknowledged as having originated in the United States within the Mexican American community. Some have speculated that it may have originated with vaqueros in northern Mexico in the nineteenth century.[5][7] Many have traced its roots to the farmworkers of the fields in California's Central Valley, in Fresno and Stockton;[8] the Southwestern United States;[4] or with northern Sonoran (Northern CA) miners of the 19th century.[9]

In the 1895 Diccionario de Mexicanismos, the burrito was identified as a regional item from Guanajuato and defined as "Tortilla arrollada, con carne u otra cosa dentro, que en Yucatán llaman coçito, y en Cuernavaca y en Mexico, taco" (A rolled tortilla with meat or other ingredients inside, called 'coçito' in Yucatán and 'taco' in the city of Cuernavaca and in Mexico City).[7][10]

Quote:
Burritos were mentioned in the U.S. media for the first time in 1934,[14] appearing in the Mexican Cookbook, a collection of regional recipes from New Mexico authored by historian Erna Fergusson.[15]
ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 09:06 pm
@ehBeth,
Thanks for that link.
I will always absorb remonstrance from Pancho, ah, fbaeser, and that was part of my blabbering.

I happen to put all that stuff in my burritos, but...
I revere Pancho.

Well, unless we start arguing.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 10:06 pm
@ehBeth,
THis thread is getting whiskers, but its still food group I like.

Thats how all the little Mexican food shops near Kennett Square serve up their burritos, as a "rolled Taco". Depending on the meat , and its makeup, each one is a nice little hand food.

Also, their salsas have a unoque flavor depending on the owners preferences. One I like is a hot smokey Mole based sauce. It really tokes up a beans and hamhock taco (must have the steamed cilantro)

Normally the hand held ones are from 3.$ to 3.50 each and two is a filling lunch
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 10:12 pm
Houston has taquerias all over the place. I don't think all of them have burritos, but I have been in at least a few where that is the house specialty.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 10:31 pm
@farmerman,
My burrito stuffings are often spicy as I cook spicy so the greens or beans or whatever already have heat and that can be multiplied in the burrito.

Whiskers, could we fry them? I'm bad at frying,
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 11:11 pm
@edgarblythe,
wrong diner..
0 Replies