Burritos you have known and loved

fbaezer

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 08:33 pm
Chimichangas are actually from Northwest Mexico, and could be (very loosely) described as fried burritos.
The key to the chimichanga is a "tortilla sobaquera" (literally "armpit tortilla"), which is hand made, very thin and very large. The huge tortilla is filled, folded in several parts and the whole stuff is fried in a lot of oil.

Oh, and those huevos rancheros sound terrible!
My friend Cychess lives in Vancouver, I felt pity for him.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 09:01 pm
Ok, ok, I'll try a chimichanga. Maybe at Adelita's..

I'll be back with a story about a woman who tried to do some sort of serious mexican cooking in Humboldt County..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 09:14 pm
Link to Rita's story -
http://www.northcoastjournal.com/120706/food1207.html
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 11:53 pm
From what I gather, the burrito was invented in Northern Mexico, in Ciudad Juárez, Chihuahua, and it immediately caught on on the other side of the border, in the good ol' a**hole of Texas, its sister city, and it spread from there. This is corroborated by a wikipedia entry:
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burrito_(comida)

Basically, the burrito is an enormous flour tortilla (which are customary in Northern Mexico) taco usually filled with some kind of guisado like chile colorado, or chile verde. It's like taking your dinner and putting it in an edible container.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 10:07 am
The burrito was good. It was half a cup of the beans (done in the slow cooker with a little garlic, tomatoes, tofu, chicken broth and pepper and no salt), 1 ounce each of fat-free cheddar and full-fat Monterey Jack in a whole wheat tortilla, nuked for 2 mins.

347 cals
15.3 g. fat
32.2 mg cholesterol
746.5 mg sodium but probably less as I used very low salt broth when cooking the beans
6.9 g fiber.
21.7 g protein

Next time I might take out half of the cheese and add a tablespoon of guacamole instead.

And yes I know it's not even on the same planet as authentic but with the proportions it means I can eat these and not kill my diet.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 10:58 am
I finally made some burritos and they worked out really well. Ha, I didn't follow any of these recipes exactly.

- I bought some burrito sized tortillas and grabbed a package of ground beef, about a pound and a half.

- I had in the cupboard a small can of Chipotle Peppers in Adobo sauce (Embasa brand). Figured I'd use that.

- I sauteed some chopped celery and chopped scallion greens and garlic in a little olive oil, then added the beef and eventually the chipotles in adobo (cut some of the chiles to distribute them better) and some water to make it juicier. (Made rice at the same time and had some of the beef and rice for dinner that night.)

- Next day I thawed the tortillas, and slightly oiled a glass dish that seemed the right size for six burritos.

- I had a can of black beans, which I washed and drained, and half a package of cheddar cheese, which I sliced into 3/16" (?) slices. Chopped a small/medium spanish onion.

- I drained the meat mixture, saving the juice, so I wouldn't have soggy burritos.

- on a cutting board, I tried to make the first burrito. Some black beans across the center of the tortilla but not close to the edges. Then some chopped onion. Then meat-adobo mix. Then a couple of the cheese slices along the length of the filling. Then folded...
Hey, it worked! Placed burrito in dish with closure side down.

- made the other five burritos, again easy. It came out even, used the whole can of beans, whole chopped onion, and the whole of the cheese remnant I started with. Plenty of meat left over, which I added back to the juice and froze, to go into a later lasagna.

- brushed the tops of the burritos with olive oil.

- baked at 375 in an un-preheated oven for about 40 minutes.

Well, they were really delicious. I foil wrapped the burritos and froze them.
I tend to eat a half of one at a time (microwave 28 seconds) so this has given me twelve meals, given that I also make a salad.

I could have stretched the recipe if I'd added rice, but as it turns out, I'm happy enough with these. Spicey, good.

Next time I'll play with ... maybe... spinach, cheese, onions, mashed potato, green chile salsa.

I might like to try the adobo sauce with chicken, pork, or maybe just rice, beans, and onions and cheese. Hmmm, fish.. chopped potato, fish in adobo?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 12:12 pm
Just looked up how to make one's own chiplotles in adobo - hmmm, catsup?

http://www.thatsmyhome.com/texmex/sides/chipotle-peppers-in-adobo-sauce.htm

Chipotles en Adobo - Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce
This is the way to make your own "canned" chipotles en adobo

1 packed cup (2 ounces) stemmed chipotle chiles
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
4 tablespoons catsup
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 cup cider vinegar
3 cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt

Put all ingredients in a non-reactive saucepan over medium heat and bring the liquid to a simmer. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes. Uncover and continue to cook for 45 minutes, or until a sauce-like consistency is achieved.

To make in a microwave, reduce the amount of water to 1 1/4 cups and place all ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl and seal well with plastic wrap. Cook the mixture on HIGH power for 2 to 3 minutes and allow it to sit for 3 to 5 minutes. CAUTION: hot steam escape when uncovering the bowl. Let cool. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.

Chipotles en Adobo Purée
Transfer the chiles and their sauce to a blender or food processor and blend to a smooth purée. Strain through a medium-meshed strainer. Let cool. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.

Makes 1 cup.

This seems more like it -

http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/recipe.cgi?r=1430
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 08:56 pm
Time for another batch of burritos. I'm in the rest phase after setting up..

This time I'll make ten. That should be interesting re finding freezer room. Something will have to go. Maybe the mystery package.

So, yesterday I made the ground pork in chipotles-in-adobo, sauteeing some chopped carrot and celery and garlic in olive oil first, and diluting the 1.75 pounds of ground pork with some much diluted beef broth for the simmering, scissoring the chipotle while the simmering started.

Just now, I opened two cans of black beans, Progresso and Kroger, Kroger's are bigger, but what does that mean re flavor?
- sliced some "mexican mozzarella" and a bit of leftover medium cheddar
- sliced/chopped a pretty fat whole spanish onion
- and unfroze some so-called brown arborio rice, a CA product that I'm not wild about but ok for just cooked rice for soup, blah blah. Sniffs nose in upward direction. Will use it as a stretcher or just to try it in a few of them.
- thawed the ten flour burrito sized tortillas. Yes, yes, not only are they not spanking fresh, they're compromised by the freezing. We'll see.
- dug out the largest glass "pan" I have, 10" x 15"; wiped it down with olive oil on a paper towel.

The last burritos turned out so well that I have a natural instinct for disaster with this batch. Maybe if I promise the next ones will involve spinach and avoid meat? Bows to burrito gods. ^^^^^^^
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 11:03 pm
They're in the oven. (375 on oiled baking dish for 45 minutes).

The onions were almost used up, but then I like raw onions as spark. You shoulda sauteed them if you don't..

Lots of leftover cheese.

At least half the pork adobo left. (What next, tamales?)

Did ok on the beans, past one can, and some leftover of the other.

Used some of the rice on maybe four of the burritos.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 11:37 pm
1 can cheap refried beans
1 thing of cheap ground beef
rice
ranchero cheese
cheddar cheese
cheap salsa
jalepnos(or if ur like me habeneros too)
tapatio
flour tortillas

ta da
tapatio is hot sauce fyi...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 11:43 pm
So, this is a mash?

I had a friend who when he came to the US from Eritrea could eat habanero sandwiches, but he lost that ability over time. I don't mind them in soup..
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 11:49 pm
Re: Burritos you have known and loved
ossobuco wrote:
When I lived in the very north of California, I commonly decried to anyone who would listen, usually just myself, about how non-interesting the mexican food was there, not to mention a lack of cuban, salvadoran, peruvian, brazilian, and so on. Well, of course - it is quite far from our southern border and was not that large a 'metropolitan' area. In LA we had regions of mexican foods represented in the restaurants around town. Oaxaca, Veracruz, on and on. Whine, whine.

Here I am in New Mexico, and I've only had one good tamale, not yet a good burrito, only once, no, wait, twice, some delicious enchiladas. I don't think I've seen mole on a menu, much less different ones. This is in fair part my fault, as I haven't been to all the small good cafes. And I'll stop bitching for a minute to say I lovvvvved that guacamole at the Church Street Cafe and didn't try their enchiladas or burritos. See, I wasn't that hungry and had ordered the flan, and after an hour...

I've even started to eye my grocery stores, so far to no avail. I remember in north CA some packaged tamales by a company called Garibaldi, thick masa around plenty of juicy filling wrapped in a package that you steamed for 45 minutes. Inexpensive, good healthy ingredients, tasty enough especially if you added some nice hot enchilada sauce. Nothing like that here. There are these little husked pellet like objects in the frozen food section.

Then there were the burritos, in the fridge in the co-op for people to take for breakfast or lunch, many different kinds, made by local purveyors, every one of them good.

So what? So, I've bought the masa and the husks.. re making my own tamales. Will let you know if I get the kitchen clean enough to spread out a giant tamale making mess.

Burritos, I figure I could do that.

Do any of you make your own, have favorites from restaurants to describe, or have recipes you want to try?

salvadoran foo OMG

the cheese thingies? i forget the name.

damnit! umm wtf!!! the thingies! the cheese filled tortilla things!
pupusas!!!!!

is brazilian food good? ive only had authentic mexican and salvadoran food (salvadorian girls HOTTEST IN EXISTENCE FYI, but only the americanized ones for some reason)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 11:58 pm
Your wish is my command -

pupusas...

http://www.whats4eats.com/recipes/r_st_pupusa.php
The link has photo and video..

Pupusas
(El Salvadoran thick tortillas)
Yield: about 4-5 pupusas

INGREDIENTS PREP AMOUNT
Masa harina 2 cups
Water warm 1 cup

Filling (see variations) 1 cup

METHOD
Basic Steps: Mix → Knead → Rest → Portion → Roll → Pan-bake
In a large bowl, mix together the masa harina and water and knead well. Knead in more water, one tablespoonful at a time, if needed to make a moist, yet firm dough. (It should not crack at the edges when you press down on it.) Cover and set aside to rest 5-10 minutes.
Roll dough into a log and cut into 8 equal portions. Roll each portion into a ball.
Press a hole in each ball with your thumb. Put about 1 tablespoon of desired filling into each ball and fold the dough over to completely enclose it. Press the ball out with your palms to form a disc. Be careful that the filling doesn't spill out.
Line a tortilla press with plastic and press out each ball to about 5-6" wide and about 1/4" thick. If you don't have a tortilla press, place the dough between plastic wrap and roll it out with a rolling pin.
Heat an ungreased skillet over high heat. Cook each pupusa for about 1-2 minutes on each side till lightly browned and blistered. Remove to a plate and cover till all pupusas are done. Serve with curtido and salsa roja.

VARIATIONS
Pupusas can be made plain or filled with any number of ingredients. Following are some of the most popular.

Pupusas de Queso: With a cheese filling. Use grated quesillo, queso fresco, farmer's cheese, mozzarella, Swiss cheese or a combination. Add some minced green chile if you like.

Pupusas de Chicharrones: With a filling of fried chopped pork and a little tomato sauce. A reasonable facsimile can be made by grinding 1 cup of cooked bacon with a little bit of tomato sauce in a food processor.

Pupusas de Frijoles Refritos: With a refried bean filling.

Pupusas Revueltas: Use a mixture of chicharrones, cheese and refried beans.

Pupusas de Queso y Loroco: With a cheese and tropical vine flower filling. Loroco can be found in jars at many Latin markets.

Pupusas de Arroz: A variety of pupusa that uses rice flour instead of corn masa.

Cooked potatoes or finely minced, sautéed jalapeño peppers are also tasty fillings. Try a mixture of different fillings.

The above recipe uses masa harina, a special dried cornmeal flour used in making tortillas, tamales, etc. If you are able to get fresh masa, definitely use it instead. The flavor will be much fresher. Just substitute the masa harina and water with fresh masa. One pound will make about 4-6 pupusas depending on size.

NOTES
Pupusas are similar to corn tortillas, only thicker and often stuffed with cheese, beans or meat. The pupusa originated in El Salvador, but it is also popular in neighboring Honduras. They can also be found in large U.S. cities, such as San Francisco and Los Angeles, that sizeable Salvadoran immigrant populations. Salvadoran restaurants that serve pupusas are called pupuserías.

So fundamental is this simple corn masa bread to the cuisine of El Salvador that the country has gone so far as to declare November 13th "National Pupusa Day."

Curtido, a type of coleslaw, is typically served with pupusas, along with a simple tomato sauce (salsa roja).
Pupusas are traditionally made by slapping the dough from palm to palm to flatten it out. I find the tortilla press to be quicker and easier for beginners.

On brazilian food, I'd listen to craven and not me..
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 01:59 am
Burrito Hawaiian Style

This is called a Longboard

One huge green flour tortilla

spread with black or pinto beans

mashed avocado

sour cream

kernels of corn

shredded lettuce

chopped hot peppers to taste

shredded kalua pig

shredded cheese

whatever other seasonings you want to add and wrap

Aloha
OGIONIK

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 08:29 pm
i hate curtido..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 08:40 pm
I don't remember it..

And thanks, Seaglass, that's quite a burrito there.

I had one of the pork adobo burritos last night and it was fine, but not as great as first ones made with beef. I'll see how they taste going from freezer to microwave.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2015 10:57 am
@ossobuco,
http://i59.tinypic.com/30njd61.jpg
http://www.buzzfeed.com/h2/fbdi/chilis/historic-paintings-that-would-benefit-from-a-burrito?utm_term=4ldr3bj#.kqR6kAl5W8
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2015 03:40 pm
@Sglass,
I know this is an old thread, and I'm replying to it rather than to Sglass, but, that's supposed to be a Burrito Hawaiian Style and it doesn't have pineapple?

What gives?
ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 06:20 pm
@InfraBlue,
I'm a person who makes burritos as how to get along in life. My burritos are fabulous in my own kitchen or not, day to day.
Rarely boring to me.

My burritos are rarely the same.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 06:30 pm
I let myself be persuaded eat at Taco Bell not long ago. I ordered a burrito and told them to leave out the nasty sour cream. What they brought me was horrible. The first taste told me they took an already made burrito and scraped out as much sour cream as they could. The filling looked so unappetizing. It was like they emptied the garbage can into the tortilla. I tried to eat it, but after two or three nibbles, tossed it in the trash.