What do you choose to worry about?

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 01:22 pm
I sometimes wonder why I worry about things I have no control over (say, how my ball team is doing), rather than what "should be" more important. Like my health, for instance, and what I'm doing (or not doing) about it.

Why do we worry about the possibility of a comet crashing into the earth, instead of the U.S. economy or the situation in Iraq? Or whether Junior is smoking crack behind the barn? Any thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,749 • Replies: 35
No top replies

fealola

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 01:26 pm
I think people worry about things like Planet X and The Super Bowl, because they can't face reality. Well at least it's a diversion. I worry mostly about the mundane day to day stuff. Will i get such and such done. Then I procrastinate. Then I feel guilt.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 01:38 pm
Hey, D'art, I worry about everything because I'm afraid that if I don't something bad will happen. Smile

Seriously, I think most of us are concerned about our loved ones. I worry about the people who vanish from forums. I think it's the not knowing that is the worst part.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 01:51 pm
I worry about money, constantly. However, I have learned that being self-employed still makes me happier than working in a restaurant or hotel, and at the end of the day, a little joy is worth more than a steady paycheck.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 02:24 pm
Reading....
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 02:26 pm
God really screwed up when he created our brains; it's made to worry about the mundane and unimportant while the important stuff gets stuck in the back burner. I've done that so often during my life, I just accept it as my brain chemicals playing with me. It's a constant battle. Wink
0 Replies

owi

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 03:09 pm
I worry about if there is enough beer in the refrigerator.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 03:18 pm
I just worry. I am an equal opportunity worrier - except about football and such - god, I'm worried...
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 03:40 pm
dlowan--if you're an equal opportunity worrier, except for football, does that mean you worry more about football? Or less?

Sports are one of my favorite irrelevancies to worry about. I highly recommend it!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 03:50 pm
Yeah, when the battle is over, nobody is dead!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 04:04 pm
we are all secretly control freeks. A comet on a collision course is gonna smash into us with a huge load of cosmic ice cream. This is beyond our control. I fly in planes, yet Im terrified. Im mostly terrified that SOME OTHER ASSHOLE is driving the bus and not me.
I worry about whether my heart will attack me, but , as science has begun to unravel its mysteries, I do my dailies, I get my RDA of zinc and bioflavinoids, and some other crap that the USDH has determined is good for your rat.
Now I worry less about my heart and more about the damn comet.
I saw some astrophysicist on TV last night. It was on CBC and he stated that , when this new comet comes close, well have an ability to muster out a group of rockets , attach them to the comet, and steer it out to space.

He calmed me down a bit. Im still worried, but not at such a high degree of panic. So, Ive got lots of areas to spread my worry around.

If Los Palmas ever slides into the sea, the entire East coast of the US will be washed away.

Every 2 million years or so, a super volcano erupts. The last one in the US was , well, about 2 million years ago and is the site of Yellowstone Park.

These and some other things, not under my corrective attention, scare the bejesus out of me.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 04:07 pm
farmerman, Just when is this comet supposed to reach us? I expect I'l be dust in about twenty years floating in the Pacific Ocean.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 04:11 pm
I worry about my hair falling out. I worry about dying painfully. I worry about whether my children will be happy adults. That's about it.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 04:23 pm
I'm a natural born worrier, but it's lasting less and less. Now I counsel other member of the family on worry.
0 Replies

Ruach

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 04:42 pm
I worry about tomorrow, my future, serial killers, my loved ones, our health, I worry about maintaining my present lifestyle. I worry about our bunny who took a mate and lives in the neighborhood. I am a born worrier. I worry about salvation, peace, war, starving people and animals.
We get so comfortable we worry about this comfort getting upset.

I don't worry about asteroids, hurricanes, tornadoes, floods or the sun burning up. Confused
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 04:57 pm
Wow, Ruach, sounds like you've got the bases covered! Good job...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 05:17 pm
ci its somewhere around 2017. However, they only have like 3 points on its chosen path. As they get more points in time and space, the potential for impact and its trajectory will be better known. We should know by next summer with great accuracy.
0 Replies

Ruach

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 05:23 pm
Thanks d'artagnan. I try hard to include everyone and everything. Should I put you on my list? Are you OK. How is your health Laughing
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 05:28 pm
I worry about paranoid people and their decisons. I am tired of decisions that affect me being made under the influence of fears that are illogical (yes, there are logical fears).
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 05:31 pm
That makes me 82 years old. Wonder if I'll be going out with a "bang." Wink
0 Replies