Nu Shortcuts in School R 2 Much 4 Teachers

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2002 06:58 pm
By JENNIFER 8. LEE

EACH September Jacqueline Harding prepares a classroom presentation on the

common writing mistakes she sees in her students' work.

Ms. Harding, an eighth-grade English teacher at Viking Middle

School in Guernee, Ill., scribbles the words that have plagued generations of schoolchildren across her

whiteboard:

There. Their. They're.

Your. You're.

To. Too. Two.

Its. It's.

This

September, she has added a new list: u, r, ur, b4, wuz, cuz, 2.

When she asked her students how many of them used

shortcuts like these in their writing, Ms. Harding said, she was not surprised when most of them raised their hands. This,

after all, is their online lingua franca: English adapted for the spitfire conversational style of Internet instant

messaging.

Ms. Harding, who has seen such shortcuts creep into student papers over the last two years, said she gave

her students a warning: "If I see this in your assignments, I will take points off."

"Kids should know the

difference," said Ms. Harding, who decided to address this issue head-on this year. "They should know where to draw the line

between formal writing and conversational writing."

As more and more teenagers socialize online, middle school and

high school teachers like Ms. Harding are increasingly seeing a breezy form of Internet English jump from e-mail into

schoolwork. To their dismay, teachers say that papers are being written with shortened words, improper capitalization and

punctuation, and characters like &, $ and @.

Teachers have deducted points, drawn red circles and tsk-tsked at

their classes. Yet the errant forms continue. "It stops being funny after you repeat yourself a couple of times," Ms. Harding

said.

But teenagers, whose social life can rely as much these days on text communication as the spoken word, say that

they use instant-messaging shorthand without thinking about it. They write to one another as much as they write in school, or

more.

"You are so used to abbreviating things, you just start doing it unconsciously on schoolwork and reports and

other things," said Eve Brecker, 15, a student at Montclair High School in New Jersey.

Ms. Brecker once handed in a

midterm exam riddled with instant-messaging shorthand. "I had an hour to write an essay on Romeo and Juliet," she said. "I

just wanted to finish before my time was up. I was writing fast and carelessly. I spelled `you' `u.' " She got a

C.

Even terms that cannot be expressed verbally are making their way into papers. Melanie Weaver was stunned by some

of the term papers she received from a 10th-grade class she recently taught as part of an internship. "They would be trying

to make a point in a paper, they would put a smiley face in the end," said Ms. Weaver, who teaches at Alvernia College in

Reading, Pa. "If they were presenting an argument and they needed to present an opposite view, they would put a

frown."

As Trisha Fogarty, a sixth-grade teacher at Houlton Southside School in Houlton, Maine, puts it, today's

students are "Generation Text."

Almost 60 percent of the online population under age 17 uses instant messaging,

according to Nielsen / NetRatings. In addition to cellphone text messaging, Weblogs and e-mail, it has become a popular means

of flirting, setting up dates, asking for help with homework and keeping in contact with distant friends. The abbreviations

are a natural outgrowth of this rapid-fire style of communication.

"They have a social life that centers around typed

communication," said Judith S. Donath, a professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology's Media Lab who has studied

electronic communication. "They have a writing style that has been nurtured in a teenage social milieu."

Some teachers

see the creeping abbreviations as part of a continuing assault of technology on formal written English. Others take it more

lightly, saying that it is just part of the larger arc of language evolution.

"To them it's not wrong," said Ms.

Harding, who is 28. "It's acceptable because it's in their culture. It's hard enough to teach them the art of formal

writing. Now we've got to overcome this new instant-messaging language."

Ms. Harding noted that in some cases the

shorthand isn't even shorter. "I understand `cuz,' but what's with the `wuz'? It's the same amount of letters as `was,'

so what's the point?" she said.

Deborah Bova, who teaches eighth-grade English at Raymond Park Middle School in

Indianapolis, thought her eyesight was failing several years ago when she saw the sentence "B4 we perform, ppl have 2

practice" on a student assignment.

"I thought, `My God, what is this?' " Ms. Bova said. "Have they lost their

minds?"

The student was summoned to the board to translate the sentence into standard English: "Before we perform,

people have to practice." She realized that the students thought she was out of touch. "It was like `Get with it, Bova,' "

she said.

Ms. Bova had a student type up a reference list of translations for common instant-messaging expressions.

She posted a copy on the bulletin board by her desk and took another one home to use while grading.

Students are

sometimes unrepentant.

"They were astonished when I began to point these things out to them," said Henry Assetto, a

social studies teacher at Twin Valley High School in Elverson, Pa. "Because I am a history teacher, they did not think a

history teacher would be checking up on their grammar or their spelling," said Mr. Assetto, who has been teaching for 34

years.

But Montana Hodgen, 16, another Montclair student, said she was so accustomed to instant-messaging

abbreviations that she often read right past them. She proofread a paper last year only to get it returned with the messaging

abbreviations circled in red.

"I was so used to reading what my friends wrote to me on Instant Messenger that I

didn't even realize that there was something wrong," she said. She said her ability to separate formal and informal English

declined the more she used instant messages. "Three years ago, if I had seen that, I would have been `What is that?'

"

The spelling checker doesn't always help either, students say. For one, Microsoft Word's squiggly red spell-check

lines don't appear beneath single letters and numbers such as u, r, c, 2 and 4. Nor do they catch words which have numbers

in them such as "l8r" and "b4" by default.

Teenagers have essentially developed an unconscious "accent" in their

typing, Professor Donath said. "They have gotten facile at typing and they are not paying attention."

Teenagers have

long pushed the boundaries of spoken language, introducing words that then become passé with adult adoption. Now teenagers

are taking charge and pushing the boundaries of written language. For them, expressions like "oic" (oh I see), "nm" (not

much), "jk" (just kidding) and "lol" (laughing out loud), "brb" (be right back), "ttyl" (talk to you later) are as standard

as conventional English.

"There is no official English language," said Jesse Sheidlower, the North American editor of

the Oxford English Dictionary. "Language is spread not because not anyone dictates any one thing to happen. The decisions are

made by the language and the people who use the language."

Some teachers find the new writing style alarming. "First

of all, it's very rude, and it's very careless," said Lois Moran, a middle school English teacher at St. Nicholas School in

Jersey City.

"They should be careful to write properly and not to put these little codes in that they are in such a

habit of writing to each other," said Ms. Moran, who has lectured her eighth-grade class on such mistakes.

Others say

that the instant-messaging style might simply be a fad, something that students will grow out of. Or they see it as an

opportunity to teach students about the evolution of language.

"I turn it into a very positive teachable moment for

kids in the class," said Erika V. Karres, an assistant professor at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill who

trains student teachers. She shows students how English has evolved since Shakespeare's time. "Imagine Langston Hughes's

writing in quick texting instead of `Langston writing,' " she said. "It makes teaching and learning so

exciting."

Other teachers encourage students to use messaging shorthand to spark their thinking processes. "When my

children are writing first drafts, I don't care how they spell anything, as long as they are writing," said Ms. Fogarty, the

sixth-grade teacher from Houlton, Maine. "If this lingo gets their thoughts and ideas onto paper quicker, the more power to

them." But during editing and revising, she expects her students to switch to standard English.

Ms. Bova shares the

view that instant-messaging language can help free up their creativity. With the help of students, she does not even need the

cheat sheet to read the shorthand anymore.

"I think it's a plus," she said. "And I would say that with a +

sign."

http://graphics7.nytimes.com/images/2002/09/19/technology/19MESS.2.jpg
INGR

AINED - Eve Brecker, 15, of Montclair, N.J., uses instant-messaging shorthand unconsciously in

essays.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/19/technology/circuits/19MESS.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 5,687 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Pharon

Reply Sun 13 Oct, 2002 09:11 pm
I think that we have

to keep in mind that the world has become a lot faster so in some cases I think that it is vital but in school, hell no. once

you know the right way you can do what you like but in school lets do it right, you have to know where you are and what is

expected of you.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 12:41 pm
I found this when I was searching Google for A2K. There are pages and pages of links, but when I searched for able to know or able 2 know, I couldn't find A2K at all. Is that an offshoot of the espeak phenomena that this topic is about?

As to this I think it is very important to know the differences, but I'd also like to take a class in espeak and make sure I'm up-to-date!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 12:48 pm
language is and always was dynamic
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 09:34 pm
There is a technology chunk in most grades. In early grades, it starts off as a weekly spot and later moves to daily as the kids move up through the grades. This language could maybe find a valid place in that technology slot.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 10:10 pm
Hmmmmm...to me it is a little like the clothing conversation we had last night at dinner.....

A friend of mine has just taken over the management of a large community legal centre.

She is insisting that the lawyers there dress professionally when they are in court or seeing clients.....as opposed to the jeans, t shirt etc ethos that was there before.

Reason? She feels that clients feel more respected when their professional lawyer dresses well, and that courts expect it, too. She has no objection to casual clothes on client/court free days, but wants them to have the a different aspect for public contact. (Interestingly, for my profession, client feedback suggests that people resent very casual clothing in someone they are seeing)

This led to a discussion of appropriate dress being a fluid thing that depends very much on situation.

I think appropriate language is much the same.

I think we are all multi lingual.....I never, for instance, swear in front of clients, and really tailor vocabulary depending on education level etc, and may use some slang appropriate to the particular social affiliations of someone I am seeing. I also very muct tailor language to the professional group I am in when I am at meetings and am attempting to influence how a person/family is being dealt with.

The language we use with our friends we would not use in a court room if we were defendants, or if we were teaching little kids, or to our grandparents.

I can recall being driven utterly nuts when I was studying psychology....used to writing as clearly and unpretentiously as I could in all my other subjects, in psychology I was forced to use tortuous, pseudo "objective" language that insisted upon the use multiple complex words to describe simple things, all as psychology's desperate attempt to appear like a "hard" science. That was simply crazy, but nonetheless one had to adapt.

(Though I fought hard later not to have to use such nonsense speak in court reports etc that I wrote once employed.)

If I were teaching English now, I would be very happy for kids to use text language in their poetry and really creative writing, (just having them WRITING and reading is great) but I would also be considering it important, and part of my job, for them to learn to communicate adequately in more formal settings.

Sure English changes, but it is part of a teacher's job, I think, to get kids to be able to have the skills they are going to need, and writing "normal" English is a skill most of them are going to benefit from.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 10:24 pm
Ms. Harding noted that in some cases the

shorthand isn't even shorter. "I understand `cuz,' but what's with the `wuz'? It's the same amount of letters as `was,'

so what's the point?" she said.

I found that rather amusing. You could almost feel the frustration in the poor woman's voice.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 10:35 pm
wuz iz crep
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 10:38 pm
brb
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2007 03:04 pm
I'm having a hard time processing this girl's middle name.

And, omg.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2007 03:22 pm
I remember researching that name -- it's a Chinese character or something, that's an approximate translation.

I totally agree, dlowan. I like the multi-lingual aspect. It can be respected as its own thing and given some space (this is what littlek was getting at too) while nonetheless being separated from proper English. And I think everyone (in America) should be taught proper English.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2007 03:54 pm
Um, I thought it was an 8.

My sarcasm just ain't makin it.

I refuse to deign to emoticons to express myself!!!

<falls down, writhes a bit, gets up, brushes self off, walks away unself-consciously>

<...ridiculous stage direction, somehow superior to rolly eyes and winkies, she mutters...>

wuz is crep made me laugh. with noises.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2007 05:24 pm
I know I know...! It's an 8, but the 8 is because her original middle name was a Chinese character or something...

oh I'll go find it just a sec...

Quote:
Jennifer 8. Lee (born March 15, 1976 in New York City) is a New York Times reporter for the Metro section. She spells her middle name "8." (with both the digit and the period) on paper, but on her New York driver's license, it is spelled as "Eight".

Many Chinese and Japanese names contain numbers written in characters. Lee's parents, who are from Taiwan, added the number eight (the Chinese character 八) to Lee's name while she was a teenager (presumably with her consent). For many Chinese, the number eight symbolizes prosperity and good luck.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jennifer_8._Lee
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2007 05:38 pm
I can see the text language for instant messaging, and can see riffing off of that even unto the realm of poetic efforts. I'm enjoying language evolving, which is just as well. I play with it myself, though not in that exact manner...

but the first thing that comes to mind, in piquance, is a sixty year old friend of mine who Finally Got a Computer and then email: her messages are always in IM language because she thinks that's how people communicate with computers. 'Tis a discordance!!

I could not muster the words to recommend she be her literate self in email as she is on written notes. I left that alone with hope that someone in her daily life will tell her. Call me passive aggressive - I just answer her back in my version of written english. (I know, I know, but I'm me....)

On the other hand, should she ever get involved in Instant Messaging, she'll be well equipped and I would be at a loss.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2007 05:46 pm
Recent article on IM cropping up in the classroom -
http://edition.cnn.com/2007/TECH/02/09/chat.lingo.ap/
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2007 06:50 pm
I still can't quite get over that the world is so text-mad. I love it! I keep worrying that its moment will be over sometime soon. But for me, this all started in the mid-80's with my first tty (teletypewriter). It was the way for me to communicate over the phone. I learned how to type that way, learned the sideways smile emoticon that way (before "emoticon" was a word), learned to type FAST and use lots of abbreviations and not capitalize or use punctuation.

It was a short journey from that to text messagers/ Blackberries -- they were originally developed for the deaf and I got my first one in about 1997, I think. Would take it to restaurants and stuff and would have the tech-toy crowd swarming -- what IS that? Where did you get it? How much did it cost? (I got mine through work, they were really expensive at the beginning though.)

Anyway, when I do instant messaging my model is tty (which I never use anymore, I text or email or IM deaf friends and use online relay to call hearing people), I shift back into that mode fast. (Occasionally I can't quell my "ga", though -- tty-speak for "go ahead" or "I'm done talking, your turn now.")
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2007 06:58 pm
I am a total blank on text messaging - are those modes supplanting computers and telephone for ordinary communication? Will I need to talk text in the grocery store in four years? Or is it all additive? I suspect it's additive.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2007 08:25 am
I hope not, osso. I'm IM and text message inept. I occasionally get text messages on my cell phone. I don't respond to them.... don't know how, don't want to learn.

My kids, otoh, live by IMing and texting (including during class, I hear).

Mr B recently asked me to help him set up a certain feature on his new cell phone. I told him to get one of the girls to help him. It took them 30 seconds to get him set up. I'd still be working on it. But then, I almost never use my cell phone.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2007 12:48 pm
<amazed>

Thanks alot, soz. I had thought Jennifer's middle name was merely some little inside joke of the author. <bizarrer and bizarrer>

I'm taking a linguistics class--and this text messaging vernacular thing is not going away.

Funny how words are added to the dictionary (and prescriptive language)--or rendered obselete--by popular demand.

Please no u for you. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2007 09:02 pm
sozobe wrote:
I still can't quite get over that the world is so text-mad. I love it! I keep worrying that its moment will be over sometime soon. But for me, this all started in the mid-80's with my first tty (teletypewriter). It was the way for me to communicate over the phone. I learned how to type that way, learned the sideways smile emoticon that way (before "emoticon" was a word), learned to type FAST and use lots of abbreviations and not capitalize or use punctuation.

It was a short journey from that to text messagers/ Blackberries -- they were originally developed for the deaf and I got my first one in about 1997, I think. Would take it to restaurants and stuff and would have the tech-toy crowd swarming -- what IS that? Where did you get it? How much did it cost? (I got mine through work, they were really expensive at the beginning though.)

Anyway, when I do instant messaging my model is tty (which I never use anymore, I text or email or IM deaf friends and use online relay to call hearing people), I shift back into that mode fast. (Occasionally I can't quell my "ga", though -- tty-speak for "go ahead" or "I'm done talking, your turn now.")

That is interesting....I hadn't thought about how much email/texting and stuff is great for deaf people. Because of you I had considered how much IM and message boards like this are very deaf friendly, though.

It IS interesting how much all this is bringing back written communication, though......it all seems quite 18th/19th Century to me.....you know, the novels in letters, the great flow of letters between great thinkers/poets and so forth....the pepperings of crucial letters in the novels of pre-telecommunications eras, the whole "falling in love by letter" thing in some great romances.

I am also minded, in the kind of online flirtations you see here sometimes, of the tradition of courtly love.....the thrill of the unfulfillable "love affair" conducted in public..(with the same odd ventures into reality we see from time to time here.)

I would be, however, personally, singularly unmoved, by "I luv u" etc.

But, clearly, luv iz in the i of the bholdr.
0 Replies