What do I do with this little found dog?

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 01:09 pm
Mr. B found this panicked dinky little dog running around in a busy intersection this morning. He scooped it up, turned around and brought it home so I could find the owner.

I posted the dog as found on craigslist.

I called in the number on the tag and got the name and address of the owner. I called and left a message -- this was 5 hours ago.

It's a nice little dog and it's just hanging out being reasonable even when faced with my giant puppy.

I have to leave for a couple of hours.

She's really well behaved but sticks close by me. I don't want her to freak out when I leave.

Do you think it's safe to leave her here loose in the house while I'm gone?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,595 • Replies: 42
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 01:13 pm
is there a room that is relatively clear she can stay in?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 01:21 pm
I've tried putting Dinky in the bathroom just so she could rest but she got stressed and Diamond got stressed so it has just been easier to let her roam.

She has great house manners -- obviously she is somone's pet.

I could put her in the yard and Diamond in the house but really this dog is tiny and I'm worried she might escape from the yard.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 01:26 pm
sad option..

but do you have a leash? Outside in the shade?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 01:33 pm
It's not even 60 degrees outside today so weatherwise it would be fine to leave her out. I hate to tie her up though. Still, it might be the best option. Unless, of course, Diamond goes nutso seeing her out there.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 02:22 pm
no neighbours to help out?

last little lost dog I nabbed stayed at 4 houses over 3 days. we took shifts - even Ian who got the knee of his pants gnawed through while he was napping (in the pants)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 03:04 pm
I'm hoping that "Ruby's" people left for work and just don't know she gone and that they'll get my message and hurry over to reclaim her.

I hate to send her out somewhere else just for a couple of hours -- Ruby has had a rough day.

Diamond and Ruby are getting along great so I might just chance leaving them to play for the two hours we'll be out. Ruby doesn't understand stairs so there is really limited damage she could do. Really though she has not been a bit destructive.

Now if I don't hear from the people at all I have no idea what I'll do with this little mongrel.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 03:06 pm
Diamond and Ruby.

Diamond and Ruby?

If you don't hear from her people at all, I think you've got yourself another dog... ;-)

(I'll let dog people with more experience than I weigh in on leaving the dogs alone together -- I'd worry about Diamond displaying alpha-dog behavior that he wouldn't when you're around.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 03:37 pm
Me, I'd either leave her with Diamond, all being copasetic to this point, or, my earlier thought, fill Pacco's old car crate with pillows. and take her with me on my outing.

This reminds me of when Leo the Dachshund showed up in our yard one day. I called the tag number and as the day passed I wished that the owners wouldn't call back. They did. Oh well. I still remember the personable Leo.. and have had a soft spot for Dachshunds ever since. Whether or not I spelled Dachshund right.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 03:44 pm
Does your local Police Dept. have an animal control officer? If so, call them and let them do what they get paid for (although this sort of thing is only a small portion of their duties!).
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 03:48 pm
sozobe wrote:
Diamond and Ruby.

Diamond and Ruby?

If you don't hear from her people at all, I think you've got yourself another dog... ;-)

(I'll let dog people with more experience than I weigh in on leaving the dogs alone together -- I'd worry about Diamond displaying alpha-dog behavior that he wouldn't when you're around.)

If this is male/female, the female will be dominant, automatically. Additionally, size has absolutely no bearing on which dog will dominate--that is determined by personality alone.

Cleo once ran off an Irish Wolfhound (male) who was paying too much attention to our lunch.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 03:54 pm
Wll....

How did it go?

Most of the lost dogs here are easily tracked through their chips. We've even had vets take them in until their owners arrive.

If not 'chipped" I think there is something on the rabies tag that identifies the vet that cares for the dog. Something about the number... That's what someone in the neighborhood told me was how they found Georges owner.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 06:04 pm
I did end up just leaving her to run with Diamond and it seems they did fine.

Ruby has a dirty face now but other than that she is just exactly as we left her.

The county did give us her owner's name and number and I did leave a message but still haven't heard back. It's been 10 hours. It is just now 5 PM though so I'm hoping they'll get back from work and discover their dog is missing.

This dog is most certainly someone's pet. The only thing that worries me is that there is a no kill rehoming shelter in the same area the dog was found and I know sometimes people just drop their dogs off at the door early in the morning.

Surely they wouldn't leave the dog's collar on though....

Mo is, of course, already attached to the goofy looking thing.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 08:27 pm
Ha!

So Mr. B gets home and he's all "WHAT IN THE HELL IS THAT DOG STILL DOING HERE!!!!????"

So I say "We haven't been able to get anyone to call us back and blahblahblah".

And I finally get the story about how the dog came to us....

Mr. B was driving to work. He passes through a busy intersection on the way to the highway. A girl had stopped traffic and several people were chasing the dog around. Ruby was snarling and snapping and everyone was afraid to grab her but Mr. B.

So Mr. B grabs her.

And he tries to put her in the traffic stopping girl's car. She says "OH NONONONO". So now everyone evacuates and Mr. B is left with this tiny snarling dog.

And he brings it to me.

And Mo.

So I'm hoping that dinky Ruby's family still wants her.

And Mr. B is blustering that we aren't keeping that idiotic looking dog.

(She really is goofy looking -- like an albino fox with bull dog legs and a punk haircut.)

Who knows what will happen.....
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 08:34 pm
Ask Shewolf how this works...

Hey Flash :wink:

RH
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 08:41 pm
Oh. NOW we need photos!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 08:46 pm
Sounds like Mr. B found Cleo's twin.

Pix!!!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 08:50 pm
Mr. B brought Ruby home, he should not complain... sounds like he painted himself into a corner, hee hee.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2008 12:15 pm
The Ruby saga continues.

We went in to the vet today to see if Ruby had a chip -- no.

Okay. We leave a found dog report.

We drove to Ruby's house. Nobody home. It looks like an older persons home so I hope they're okay. I left a note on the door.

And now Ruby is napping.

Here are some photos of the silly thing:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/sugar.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/sugar2.jpg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2008 12:19 pm
Awwwwwwwwwwwwww....
0 Replies