Leftover Soup = Playtime

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 05:35 pm
Some of my favorite soups are from classic recipes - like french onion soup, and one I've made for years that is like the one in a thread JoefromChicago posted (link later).

I've posted some zillion soup concoctions of my own re soup using some leftovers, most of them in the What's for Dinner Tonight thread. Maybe I'll compile them and re-look at them to see if I learned anything, pick a few of the horrible examples and the ones that worked out and post them. Meantime, my soup repertoire is expanding a bit, to miso and pho most recently. Plus there was a simple one with previously cooked shrimp and some restaurant leftover scallop and broken pasta and this and that.

Given a certain general constraining re food purchase, it seems like a topic to visit on its own. Even in summer, soup can just very low simmer.. or, alternately, be done in a flash... or even be 'cold soup', like a gaspacho without every one of a recipe's ingredients.

Please post your soup efforts...

Probably Bad Example, you can do better..

I predict mine tonight will not be an award winner, but it may be spicey. Starting with a dilute chicken broth, juice from a small can of corn, some small portion of the 1/2 pound of cranberry beans I cooked a few days ago and then mostly froze, some left over cooked "arborio" brown rice which had already onions and garlic, three large tablespoons of medium green chile salsa... some sun dried tomatoes in a chile base.

well, that's where I am so far. Plan to add a bunch of sliced scallion, the corn, sliced hot link, and slivered green cabbage (not cooked over seven minutes re the sulfur), some green peas. I'd add parsley but I composted the parsley I didn't make into pesto yesterday.

I'm sure good soups can be made with little.. just consider french onion soup, or another thread here, Stone Soup (link later). Just involves some refrigerator play..
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,179 • Replies: 1
No top replies

fishin

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 05:39 pm
Mom always told me not to play with my soup.

Kids were starving in India ya know! Laughing
0 Replies