kickycan

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 09:42 pm
Question: Is there anything in the bible that says you can kill others...ever? There is that commandment that says not to kill, and I haven't ever heard of any passage that makes any exception to that. So how can you support any kind of war and still follow god's law?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 09:50 pm
Kicky, apparently there is an argument going on in Islam re these matters.. (see a recent NYer), but I haven't noticed one in Judeo-christianity. Then again, maybe I haven't been paying attention.

Link - http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/06/02/080602fa_fact_wright
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 09:51 pm
kickycan wrote:
Question: Is there anything in the bible that says you can kill others...ever?

Sure you can -- for example, you're home free if your victims are your slaves, and if you kill them slowly enough they take two or three days to die: "And if a man smite his servant, or his maid, with a rod, and he die under his hand; he shall be surely punished. Notwithstanding, if he continue a day or two, he shall not be punished: for he is his money." (Exodus 20:20-21)

As an aside, note that the Bible, unlike us, has no moral problem with slavery.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 10:04 pm
Interesting article Osso. I've heard that was going on. I actually saw a Christian in L.A. who had a microphone and a Powerpoint slide show in the middle of an outdoor mall, and he was calling Muslims monkeys and saying that they are a violent religion and all that. He would let people take a second microphone to ask questions and argue with him, but as soon as they started to make a good point, he'd turn off their mic, call them rude, and tell them to please leave. I wanted to ask this question to him, but I felt like it would be a lot like beating my head against a brick wall.

Thomas, thanks for that. That's an interesting outlook on murder, isn't it? It's okay if the murderee is a slave. Great morals that bible teaches.

But I am seriously interested to find out if there is anything that says it's okay for a soldier to kill. Somehow I doubt it. All I've ever heard is "turn the other cheek." Unless it's your slave, I guess. Then you can beat him to death, but only if you do it slow.

I guess Rex would say we're misunderstanding god's message.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 10:10 pm
(which mall, she says, cringing...)
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 10:12 pm
It was that 3rd Street Promenade right near the Santa Monica Pier. You know it?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 06:03 am
Thomas wrote:
I'm a masochist, Osso. I debate Bible-thumpers because I want to suffer.

thats soooo sexy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 06:08 am
http://www.picpop.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10059/jeez.jpg

RexRed wrote:
Atheism is a religion that states in humans do we trust? One nation above God.

http://shoutluton.com/attractions/images/strawman.jpg

Pretty damned stupid, even by Rex's low, low standards. Given that an atheist does not believe that there is any god, how could an atheist believe in "one nation above god?"

What a dipshit.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 06:11 am
You can have war and be christian.

Like thomas quoted, race, financial and economical status play a role in the ability to have war and over powering and dominating existing people/belief systems play ap art in its acceptability to..

White people can fight for their black and colored slaves, can punish their black and colored slaves and even "have" their colored slave women since they are their 'money'

They can also belittle other religions, fight over their beliefs and become missionaries to " under privileged" places in a secondary, more "civilized" way of controlling he masses if war doesnt work.

Christians also bring in the all mighty dollar to smaller , underprivileged towns, cities and tribes and feed them only if they attend church. They provide for the 'christian' families and other wise hold basic needs over their head .............. all in the name of god.

Christian religion/ behavior disgusts me.
Lemming thinking, lemming behavior, mindless followers.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 06:14 am
Thomas wrote:
And although many terrorists are religious morons, not every religious moron is a terrorist.

The thing that makes one nervous is the potential . . . and there is certainly never a lack of religious morons . . . take the author of this thread (Please ! ! !)--QED . . .
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 12:19 pm
Right, I saw the thread title, thinking that RexRed has some insight as to why Atheism is wrong or had some statistics to show that Atheism is on the decline. Except, I find none.

Quelle surprise!
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 01:27 pm
I was expecting something along the lines of:

Nietzsche is dead.
-God
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 03:04 pm
kickycan wrote:
But I am seriously interested to find out if there is anything that says it's okay for a soldier to kill. Somehow I doubt it. All I've ever heard is "turn the other cheek." Unless it's your slave, I guess. Then you can beat him to death, but only if you do it slow.

Kicky, so you never saw Frank's thread on the subject?

Should we handle victory the way the Christian god decrees?

Quote:
At Deuteronomy 20:10 the god decrees:

"When you march up to attack a city, first offer terms of peace.
If it agrees to your terms of peace and opens its gates to you,
all the people to be found in it shall serve you in forced labor.
But if it refuses to make peace with you and instead offers you
battle, lay siege to it, and when the Lord, your God, delivers it
into your hand, put every male in it to the sword, but the women
and children and livestock and all else in it that is worth
plunder you may take as your booty and you may use this plunder
of your enemies which the Lord, your God, has given you."
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 11:29 am
I think Rex might have meant one nation that puts itself above God.....just my take.

Rex,

I really hate to see you get so upset, but people have the right to their opinions even if we don't like or agree with those opinions. God doesn't force anyone to believe in Him. You can't force anyone either.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 11:36 am
Arella Mae wrote:
I think Rex might have meant one nation that puts itself above God.....just my take.

How could this possibly describe the position of atheists? Atheists don't believe in gods, including the god of the Bible. If there is no god, then what is there for the nation to put itself above? Even by your interpretation, Rex's assertion is absurd.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 12:24 pm
Mr Red represents with his posts some characteristics that coincide with broad comedy, often similar to Vaudeville, mixed with horrific or tragic images; characters caught in hopeless situations forced to do repetitive or meaningless actions; a dialogue full of clichés, wordplay, and nonsense; nnarratives that are cyclical or absurdly expansive; either a parody or dismissal of realism. In short Mr Red is a parody of all he posits.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 12:35 pm
Thomas wrote:
Arella Mae wrote:

How could this possibly describe the position of atheists? Atheists don't believe in gods, including the god of the Bible. If there is no god, then what is there for the nation to put itself above? Even by your interpretation, Rex's assertion is absurd.
[/color]

From what I understand of Rex's post, it seems he feels that atheists are so high and mighty that they think are above God. True, atheists do not believe in God but perhaps that is the measuring stick Rex is using? To a Christian, nothing is higher than God. Did that clarify it any?
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 12:55 pm
Apparently, RexRed, however, is complaining about the billboard. It's apparently not on to express a dissenting view point. Never mind the fact that it's not actually attacking theism. It's merely a dissenting viewpoint and thus is not on.

Or maybe not.

It's hard to tell when the OP consists of just a picture and the rest of his posts have nothing to do with that picture at all.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 02:38 pm
MOAN seems to miss the point that RR was claiming that atheists put themselves above god, and that, as both Thomas and i have already pointed out, that is an absurdity, because that would entail atheists putting themselves "above" what they consider to be a fairy tale . . .

. . . and a not particularly imaginative fairy tale, either.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 03:28 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
From what I understand of Rex's post, it seems he feels that atheists are so high and mighty that they think are above God. True, atheists do not believe in God but perhaps that is the measuring stick Rex is using? To a Christian, nothing is higher than God. Did that clarify it any?

Sorry, no, still absurd. But I don't blame you. I think the absurdity lies in RexRed's point, not in your explanation of it.
0 Replies