Grasso’s $140 million pay package provokes outrage, scrutiny

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 04:13 pm
Citizen Works 9/8/03
Executive Pay

Grasso's $140 million pay package provokes outrage, scrutiny

The news that New York Stock Exchange Chairman Richard Grasso had received $140 million in deferred pay, bonuses, and retirement benefits continues to provoke outrage and scrutiny from onlookers of all types last week.

At the Securities and Exchange Commission, chairman William Donaldson, who was Grasso's predecessor at the SEC, demanded to know how this could have happened. He dashed off an angry letter to the NYSE, asking why the board of directors there extended Grasso's contract to 2007 before an internal review of governance practices had been completed. He also wanted to know how much of Grasso's pay came from funds that could have been used for regulatory purposes. "In my view," Donaldson wrote, "the approval of Mr. Grasso's pay package raises serious questions regarding the effectiveness of the NYSE's current governance structures."

Meanwhile, roughly a third of the members of the stock exchange were reportedly planning to sue to force Grasso to renegotiate his pay package.

Citizen Works founder Ralph Nader called on Grasso to return the pay package: "He should just give it back," Nader said. "By accepting this pay package, Mr. Grasso is signaling to every corporate executive in America that outrageous executive compensation is perfectly acceptable and even desirable. As the leader of the nonprofit NYSE, Mr. Grasso should be setting an example for responsible behavior, not demonstrating the same runaway greed that has created many packages where executives earn several hundred times the average employee. Especially with executive greed at the heart of Enron, WorldCom, Tyco, Adelphia, and dozens of other scandals, the big question is: how can Grasso be an effective private regulator of corporate excess if he is the very embodiment of corporate excess?"

"Instead of spending $140 million on Mr. Grasso, the NYSE should be spending that money on protecting investors," Nader said. "Just imagine how far $140 million could go toward creating new safeguards for investors and curbing the abuses that have dominated Wall Street in recent years? The real loser in this deal is the small investor. Mr. Grasso missed a lot of bad behavior by listed companies and members of the NYSE under his watch and, if he knew about them, did very little to stop the fraud, looting, deception, and conflicts-of-interest of the corporate crime wave. For this quality of work he receives $140 million!?"

For more, see: "SEC probe escalates debate over Grasso pay," by Greg Farrell of USA Today: http://www.usatoday.com/money/markets/us/2003-09-03-grasso3_x.htm

Also see:

"It's a Living," a Washington Post editorial: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A17179-2003Sep2.html

"Rich Payout, poor example," a USA TODAY editorial: http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/editorials/2003-09-03-edit-usat_x.htm

For Ralph Nader's complete comments on the pay package, see: http://www.citizenworks.org/admin/press/grasso.php

For Chairman Donaldson's letter to NYSE Human Resources and Compensation Chairman H. Carl McCall, see: http://www.sec.gov/news/speech/spch090203whd.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,009 • Replies: 3
No top replies

dov1953

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 08:33 pm
Twisted Evil I can't add anything to your excellant information except my opinion. I think that that part of America should be destroyed with deliberate speed. I hope every celestial power should reign down fire on these criminals. I'm an atheist but there's no other way to put it. Before their extinction they should be tied to a post and be forced to watch a child starve to death for the want of a decent meal.I suppose that analogy is a tad illogical. I heard that this mans job is "non-profit". If so, that is even more outrageous. I have a friend who disagrees with my opinion. He says that Grasso "earned" the money.
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 04:25 am
grasso himself did nothing wrong unless you consider accepting a high salary as immoral. how many of us would reject the money? and he did reject another $47 million before it was made public.
0 Replies

dov1953

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 08:51 am
I would think stealing roughly a hundred million dollars is a significant crime. He should hardly be commended for not stealing that extra $50 million or so. I think that it should be a crime for anyone to earn more than one hundred times greater than the lowest paid employee. That would, theoretically, be a limit of 1,112,800 a year. That is the most ANYONE deserves. Anything more is theft because the American people insist on degrading the value of worker capital. Take Bill Gates for instance. My friend says that Windows was his idea so therefore he deserves to be the richest man the world has ever known. How much money is the labor worth that made him rich? He would be smoking pot in his parents basement reading Geek Week if there was no labor to make him rich. Americans will not accept this. That is because this country is owned and operated by the rich for their benefit.
0 Replies