aperson

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 02:53 am
farmer stop cyberbullying spendi.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 05:35 am
spendi
Quote:
was once impressed by aperson's knowledge of astronomy.
She said that she saw stars. On a regular basis.

The funny thing is is that everything else she said was utter tripe.

It seems that spendi is busy "cyberbullying everyone else, including you.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 05:11 pm
Look fm. Nobody here gives two phucks about Noah. Or The Flood.

Royal Ascot is on the go and Euro 2008 and there's money to be made. Tiger gave us a fright though.

Don't tell me you're one of those chaps who don't bet. Everybody bets whose judgment is any good. Ask a Darwinian.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 05:18 pm
BBB wrote-

Quote:
Early in June, I watched the History TV Channel's presentation of a film about the Italian research team's efforts to prove the megatsunami occurred. It will be replayed on June 22nd. They posit that a landslide from Mount Etna slid into the Mediterranean, causing the tsunami. ---BBB

Do you mean to say that you can get a commission from the History Channel for submitting a script about Mount Etna sliding into the Med.

Do they not do originality anymore?

The movie is easy once you have the commission.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 05:37 pm
fm has quoted me as saying that I-

Quote:
was once impressed by aperson's knowledge of astronomy.
She said that she saw stars. On a regular basis.

The funny thing is is that everything else she said was utter tripe.

And it represents not only a travesty of what I had said but a downright deliberate distortion of de truth.

Apart from the bit about everything else she said was utter tripe.
0 Replies

Pauligirl

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 07:37 pm
Quote:
Comets, Meteors & Myth: New Evidence for Toppled Civilizations and Biblical Tales
By Robert Roy Britt
Senior Science Writer
posted: 07:00 am ET
13 November 2001
"...and the seven judges of hell ... raised their torches, lighting the land with their livid flame. A stupor of despair went up to heaven when the god of the storm turned daylight into darkness, when he smashed the land like a cup."

-- An account of the Deluge from the Epic of Gilgamesh, circa 2200 B.C.
If you are fortunate enough to see the storm of shooting stars predicted for the Nov. 18 peak of the Leonid meteor shower, you'll be watching a similar but considerably less powerful version of events which some scientists say brought down the world's first civilizations.
The root of both: debris from a disintegrating comet.

Biblical stories, apocalyptic visions, ancient art and scientific data all seem to intersect at around 2350 B.C., when one or more catastrophic events wiped out several advanced societies in Europe, Asia and Africa.
Increasingly, some scientists suspect comets and their associated meteor storms were the cause. History and culture provide clues: Icons and myths surrounding the alleged cataclysms persist in cults and religions today and even fuel terrorism.

And a newly found 2-mile-wide crater in Iraq, spotted serendipitously in a perusal of satellite images, could provide a smoking gun. The crater's discovery, which was announced in a recent issue of the journal Meteoritics & Planetary Science, is a preliminary finding. Scientists stress that a ground expedition is needed to determine if the landform was actually carved out by an impact.

rest of the story here:
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/planetearth/comet_bronzeage_011113-1.html
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 03:22 am
Pauligirl quoted-

Quote:
Scientists stress that a ground expedition is needed to determine if the landform was actually carved out by an impact.

"Needed?"

The wonder of science when it sniffs out a junket plus publication possibilities with funds and research assistants to take notes.

Surely it must have been caused by an impact if it is a 2-mile-wide crater as it says.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 06:50 am
Pauligirl wrote:
Quote:
Comets, Meteors & Myth: New Evidence for Toppled Civilizations and Biblical Tales
By Robert Roy Britt
Senior Science Writer
posted: 07:00 am ET
13 November 2001

Biblical stories, apocalyptic visions, ancient art and scientific data all seem to intersect at around 2350 B.C., when one or more catastrophic events wiped out several advanced societies in Europe, Asia and Africa.
Increasingly, some scientists suspect comets and their associated meteor storms were the cause. History and culture provide clues: Icons and myths surrounding the alleged cataclysms persist in cults and religions today and even fuel terrorism.

So comets may have led to some of the greatest disasters in history, from wiping out the dinosaurs to creating religion Twisted Evil
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 03:02 pm
Ok, one, I'm a guy. Two, where is this thread about the extent of my astronomy knowledge?
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 03:05 pm
Famerman, wtf, why don't you go lie down in a hole and die? That quote was originally "a person" and was obviously not referring to me.

Shame on you.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 05:04 pm
You'll have to make allowances ap. Scientific wit is not all that well developed.

Wouldn't you rather he howled in the hole than die.

Where's the fun if he's dead?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 06:00 pm
A Person, you are even more of a slimey lowlife than the british sot above. You are the first person EVER, to wish death on another.
In polite company we dont wish death on anyone no matter how riled up you feel. NOW , you will try to act as an adult of your species, whatever that species is.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 06:04 pm
Gee! I've been promoted.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 06:47 pm
spendi, "Species" is not a promotion, you nitwit.
0 Replies