Galaxies strung like necklace beads

spendius

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 03:54 am
Vengo wrote-

Quote:
Well I guess I wouldn't want to live where you are spendi. I'm not into BDSM.

Which leaves two possibilities. Male chauvinist piggery or monastic askesis.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 05:47 pm
Vengoropatubus wrote:
But that thought experiment was verified. Einstein made a guess at how light worked, just like previous scientists had, and like all other physicists, he used his guess to make predictions. Predictions like the famous clock experiment, where the plane flew around the world and it was found that its atomic clock was off from the atomic clock on the ground....

I don't claim to know enough about that one to argue the point other than that there might be some other explanation for the phenomena.

The question is, what evidence do you have that the Dayton Miller experiment was flawed?
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 06:37 pm
A 2006 abstract of

Quote:
An Explanation of Dayton Miller's Anomalous "Ether Drift" Result
Authors: Thomas J. Roberts
(Submitted on 24 Aug 2006 (v1), last revised 15 Oct 2006 (this version, v3))
Abstract: In 1933 Dayton Miller published in this journal the results of his voluminous observations using his ether drift interferometer, and proclaimed that he had determined the "absolute motion of the earth". This result is in direct conflict with the prediction of Special Relativity, and also with numerous related experiments that found no such signal or "absolute motion". This paper presents a complete explanation for his anomalous result by: a) showing that his results are not statistically significant, b) describing in detail how flaws in his analysis procedure produced a false signal with precisely the properties he expected, and c) presenting a quantitative model of his systematic drift that shows there is no real signal in his data. In short, this is every experimenter's nightmare: he was unknowingly looking at statistically insignificant patterns in his systematic drift that mimicked the appearance of a real signal. An upper limit on "absolute motion" of 6 km/sec is derived from his raw data, fully consistent with similar experimental results and the prediction of Special Relativity. The key point of this paper is the need for a comprehensive and quantitative error analysis. The concepts and techniques used in this analysis were not available in Miller's day, but are now standard. These problems also apply to the famous measurements of Michelson and Morley, and to most if not all similar experiments; appendices are provided discussing several such experiments.

Link to full, peer reviewed, PDF copy An Explanation of Dayton Miller's Anomalous "Ether Drift" Result

Rap
0 Replies

Vengoropatubus

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 09:16 pm
gungasnake wrote:
Vengoropatubus wrote:
But that thought experiment was verified. Einstein made a guess at how light worked, just like previous scientists had, and like all other physicists, he used his guess to make predictions. Predictions like the famous clock experiment, where the plane flew around the world and it was found that its atomic clock was off from the atomic clock on the ground....

I don't claim to know enough about that one to argue the point other than that there might be some other explanation for the phenomena.

The question is, what evidence do you have that the Dayton Miller experiment was flawed?

The fact that the same experiment was run numerous times by physicists, many of whom, by the way, had Phds in physics based on the luminiferous aether to preserve. When those physicists ran the experiment, they found no substantial aether drift. Tell me gunga, what were those other physicists doing wrong?

Brandon9000 wrote:
The only way another theory can be correct is if it makes exactly the same predictions as Special Relativity, because relativistic mechanics has been verified over and over for a century.

I don't think you're actually correct on this Brandon. For another theory to be correct, it would only have to predict observed phenomena that present theories cannot account for, or predict phenomena with more accuracy.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 10:10 pm
Vengoropatubus wrote:
gungasnake wrote:
Vengoropatubus wrote:

The fact that the same experiment was run numerous times by physicists, many of whom, by the way, had Phds in physics based on the luminiferous aether to preserve. When those physicists ran the experiment, they found no substantial aether drift. Tell me gunga, what were those other physicists doing wrong?

Brandon9000 wrote:
The only way another theory can be correct is if it makes exactly the same predictions as Special Relativity, because relativistic mechanics has been verified over and over for a century.

I don't think you're actually correct on this Brandon. For another theory to be correct, it would only have to predict observed phenomena that present theories cannot account for, or predict phenomena with more accuracy.

No, since virtually every aspect of SR has been experimentally verified many times, for another theory to be correct, it would have to be essentially identical in its predictions. Where it departs from SR, it also departs from experimental verifications of SR.
0 Replies

Vengoropatubus

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 09:58 pm
But if a new theory predicted the phenomena more accurately, wouldn't that be a different prediction than SR?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 10:07 pm
Vengoropatubus wrote:
But if a new theory predicted the phenomena more accurately, wouldn't that be a different prediction than SR?

Yes, and it would have to contend with the fact that the predictions of SR have been verified experimentally many times. Therefore, most predictions which didn't agree with SR, wouldn't agree with experiments that have already been done in great numbers.
0 Replies

g day

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 12:49 am
I recall reading about 3 months ago predictions from relativity - which were so out there at the time that they couldn't be verified for 35 years later, and Einstein didn't get the Noble prize for relativity - he got it for analysis and insights arising from the photoelectric effect (light converting to electricity) - well these result have been verified to 15 decimal places. The second nearest as validated physical effect has only been verified to 8 decimal places.

One part in a thousand, trillion isn't alot of room for something to be totally wrong.

And saying but a better theory (yet to be announced) might explain all this is a better, more precise and further reaching manner is nice but it isn't even on the horizon. Maybe scale relativity will get there, but anything competing has a long, long way to go before relativity has to seriously look over its shoulder!
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 06:20 am
g__day wrote:
Maybe scale relativity will get there...

Cool. I hadn't heard of this before. I'll have to look into it. Smile
0 Replies