Shambala Preserve & The Roar Foundation

quinn1

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 11:11 am
I saw a very intersting documentary on this and thought some others might enjoy it as well.
The Preserve is for endangered exotic big cats. It has also become home for unwanted, cast off animals brought up in capitivity.
It was started pretty strangely as for a movie called "Roar" in what I think was the late 70's. There were no trainers willing to work their animals alongside other trainers with their animals for a movie that showed a large number of big cats all together. After completion of the film, they had something like 70 cats that needed a home.
Tippi Hendren, from Alfred Hitcock's "The Birds" is the one who developed a caring and nuturing bond for these animals. Melanie Griffith is her daughter, who grew up alongside these cats.
Its all very interesting really. Seems like one of the few places of its kind here in the States.
Shambala

And to iew a great deal of fantasic photos of these big cats :
http://www.billdowphotography.com/-/billdowphotography/gallery.asp?cat=473
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,351 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 11:53 am
I think I've read about this sanctuary. The incident I remember happened when one of the handlers, accompanied by the jouralist took a well-trained tiger out of his enclosure for a run.

The journalist noticed that the tiger blended perfectly with the desert colors. While chatting, the journalist--and the handler--lost track of the tiger. "He's not missing," said the handler. "Look." He pointed to the left-behind captive tigers, all of whom were focused on their lucky cage mate.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 09:01 am
noddy..interesting
one of things that makes animals wonderful is thier ability to hide
and stomp us down Wink
Actually I found it interesting that not more people were hurt in the making of the movie, although a few accidents happened, seeing some shots of this I really was stunned.
What I saw of the reserve looked good, but I dont know it left me thinking it could be helped a great deal also.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 09:10 am
Very cool, Q. I've never heard of this place until now. Too bad, I wonder if they take visitors.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 09:19 am
humm..I would think they would take visitors, never thought that they might not..interesting question for those out in that area though.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 09:20 am
The Shambala Preserve is open to the public one weekend a month by advance reservation only. An afternoon safari costs $35 a person. Please see our Safari page for a schedule and mail-in reservation form.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 09:21 am
I should have gone while I lived out that way.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 12:13 pm
It would be a great place to visit I would think
0 Replies