head tail puzzle

miazhou

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 12:25 am
A gambler is holding three coins.One coin is an ordinary quarter,the second has two heads,the third has two tails.The gambler chooses one of the coins at random and flips it,showing heads.What is the likelihood that the other side is tails?

I think it's 50% (the answer in the book is 1/3). What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,508 • Replies: 6
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 12:31 am
For the three coins, there are a total of three heads, and three tails. I think I would agree with you.
0 Replies

miazhou

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 12:40 am
I thought it another way though.
Since it already shows a head, it's not possible to be the two-tail coin--it's either the normal coin or the two-head coin. So, for it to show tail on the other side (i.e. to be the normal coin), the possibility is half.

Is this correct?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 12:55 am
That sounds like good reasoning, too.

Caveat. I am not a puzzle person.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 01:01 am
Umm. On second thought, we have eliminated the coin with two tails. Of the two coins left, you have one tail and three heads. Right? Looks like 3 chances heads, one chance tails, but surely me, you and the book are not all wrong. I like 75% heads.
0 Replies

markr

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 01:14 am
The answer is 1/3. Since a head was tossed, the coin is either HT or HH. The head that was tossed could be any of three (one on HT, two on HH). Only one of these three heads has a tail on the other side. Therefore, the probability of the other side being tails is 1/3.
0 Replies

miazhou

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 11:00 am
Thanks Markr. I think you are right.

The possibility for it to be the HT or the HH coin actually has been changed from 50% given the fact that it already shows heads. In this case, the possibility of being a certain coin is determined by the # of heads that coin has.

Thanks roger for your thoughts too.
0 Replies