Questions I Have Yet To Understand About God And Religion

Portal Star

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 11:33 pm
Do a thought experiment. Use some other name to explain these miraculous things that happen, or when you pray. You can even focus on an object, like a rubber band. Pretend this rubber band has ultimate power.

Will the results be any different from praying to another diety? Can you assume that the rubber band is responsible for these things, needs your trust? If it helps, you can pick somthing that you do not see or hear. Try it out. See if there is any tangible difference (other than you knowing it is a different object of veneration). If you want, you can make another object responsible for all the bad things that happen to you and the universe. Say, a portable phone. Try it out for a day, or even a week.

Do you ever take unexplainable events, and attribute them to god? The greeks used to attribute lightning to thor, the god of thunder and lightning. Now we feel that static electricity built up between clouds and the atmosphere is responsible for thunder/lightning. Could science explain events we do not currently understand?

With the soul: How do you know a new soul doesn't traverse through you every five minutes? How do you know your soul isn't located in your left pinky toe, and when removed, it disappears? Can you sense your soul? If so, what can you sense? How would you know if it was gone? Could you make up another soul? Can you feel two souls? Try this out.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 12:24 am
mark
0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2016 06:34 am
@sbrean11,
2nd Question gets to the heart of your problem

Both OT and NT START START with the statement that prayer is not about informing God..If you would do some work, you would avoid this

PSALM 139
You know when I sit and when I rise;
you perceive my thoughts from afar.
3 You discern my going out and my lying down;
you are familiar with all my ways.
4 Before a word is on my tongue
you, Lord, know it completely.

NT
7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

The Bible has many passages on why we pray. But your objection was answered 3000 years ago
0 Replies