Giant Squid Netted of Australia

cjhsa

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 07:47 am
http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/images/uploadedfiles/editorial/pictures/2008/05/26/4squid_(350_x_262).jpg

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2008/05/27/14395_news.html

IF fishing trawler skipper Rangi Pene knew his huge catch would create so much fuss, he wouldn't have netted it.

The Portland fisherman's phone hasn't stopped ringing since he winched a six-metre long, 230kg squid from the ocean floor.

The squid is now in a freezer, waiting to be collected by Museum Victoria.

Bert Tober's trawler, Zeehan, was about 40km off the coast of Portland when it netted the squid on Sunday night in waters more than 500 metres deep.

Mr Pene said he hadn't seen anything like it in his 15-year fishing career.

"As soon as we seen it, we (thought) we'll have to save this," the 55-year-old said.

"When we winched it up about 6pm, we seen a big ball in the net, halfway down. We were wondering, what's this?

"We got it closer to the boat and it was that squid.

"You couldn't put it anywhere down in the ice room with the rest of the fish because it was just too big.

"We left it on the deck and we put bags of ice on it and covered it with sacks to keep it in good condition."

It took 10 men to put the squid in the freezer.

Mr Pene said his phone had kept ringing with journalists since the discovery, and admitted he was growing tired of the commotion.

"If I'd known it was going to be like this I'd have thrown it back over," he said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,737 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 06:29 pm
Cool
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 06:35 pm
We will be seeing more giant squid like this due to climate change. Here's a Canadian article, but there's plenty more info if you look:

Giant Squid More Common Due to Warming Waters
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 06:36 pm
calamari

mmmmmm
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 07:35 pm
>snort

my thoughts exactly.

I loooooooove squid.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 03:12 am
Is that Gus's giant squid, Henry???

Been missing a while!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 04:04 am
Ive only had calamari fried, (and of course, used for bait). They were very good fresh, and also the surroundings of thye sea in SAnta Cruz helped. However,Are there some really dynamite ways to serve squid(to humans)?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 06:17 am
The do make great bait because of the rubbery texture - won't come off a hook easily. I've only eatn them deep fried to. And nothing like that one.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 06:22 am
I have had squid in sushi before.

Thinly cut and only soaked in lemon juice

in a roll.. it was excellent.

I have had 'shredded' squid , no idea of how it was cooked, over other asian dishes as well that was really tasty.
Though the shredded.. what was really just super thin long slices.. were more 'rubbery' then normal , the flavor was different and REALLY intense.

I did not know that squid would retain flavorings, herbs and oils that well..but apparently it does
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 06:31 am
Re: Giant Squid Netted of Australia

Sheesh, that's not that big!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 06:48 am
http://www.comictreadmill.com/CTMBlogarchives/2006images/Aqua%2053%20Squid-thumb.jpg

How about this one Mame?
0 Replies