• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,674 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Hazlitt

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2002 09:12 pm
Is this a trick question or what?

I am thinking of two renderings of the commandments: the first in Exodus chapter 20, and the second in Deuteronomy chapter 4. They are about the same. The main difference being that the 4th commandment dealing with the sabbath is somewhat expanded in Deuteronomy.

There is a list of ritual commandments in Exodus chapter 34. I once read a pretty interesting argument that in an earlier version of the Biblical story than the one familiar to us, these more ritualistic commandments were the ones on the stones that Moses brought down from Sinai.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2002 09:14 pm
Joanne, I think any differences you may have seen can be attributed to translations and/or 'modernization'.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2002 09:39 pm
No this is not a trick question but a question that came up in Virginia while I was back in D.C. Today on NPR I heard another blurb about a state that has the Ten Commandments in their courthouse. The Virginia legislature gave up trying to have the "Commandments" posted in State court houses because they could not find on version to suit all the different groups. I suspect Jerry Falwell and his moral majority had one version and that they were the proponents of the bill. In any case I wanted to know how many there are and thought the people on this forum could help me understand.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2002 09:47 pm
Maybe this will help:

http://www.positiveatheism.org/crt/whichcom.htm

It's put together by atheists so believe what you will (they don't believe anything). I know that there have been simplifications, too, and p.c. changes by some groups. For example, I learned "Thou shalt not commit adultery" but I've also heard it "Thou shalt not covet they neighbors wife" (the devil's in the covet). I suppose the arguments are among those who want literal translations of a certain version of the Bible and those who want a different version of the Bible, etc.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2002 10:04 pm
Wow, great link Bandy, I guess I find the ten commandments not objectionable because they are basic life rules even if tied to the Judeo Chritian writings. But I do understand some might like have them posted and others not. And it seems to me our legal code as well as the legal codes of most countries are based in fundamental life rules.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2002 10:28 pm
How are other religions, that are neither Jewish nor Christian supposed to relate to the 10 Commandments?
Question
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 01:45 pm
My favorite version

http://www.extreme-hawaii.com/pidgin/funkine/10/
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 01:53 pm
Exodus - 10 Commandments The migrant workers who come during the picking season stay in the cider house, where there are rules posted for behavior. These are the rules written by the orchard owner, who doesn't necessarily have to live by them. They are imposed rules. They are also ignored rules. The real rules are the unwritten rules that are lived by the people. What makes the 10 commandments different (ISTM) from cider house rules is that as much as the orchard owner is kind to the migrants, there is still no real bond between them. The rules the owner seeks to impose are impersonal and more concerned with the owner's liability than the workers well being. The commandments are for us and for our well being. The commandments are based in our relationship (covenant) with God. It is within the frame work of this relationship that the commandments become more than cider house rules. Without that relationship, ISTM, they become no more important than cider house rules. Which may be why many people treat them as such. (Darrel Manson, Artesia CA)
0 Replies

Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 01:13 pm
I always use the 1611 King James Version of the Bible which reads as follows:
Exo 20:3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
Exo 20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
Exo 20:5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
Exo 20:6 And showing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
Exo 20:7 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.
Exo 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Exo 20:9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
Exo 20:10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
Exo 20:11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
Exo 20:12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
Exo 20:13 Thou shalt not kill.
Exo 20:14 Thou shalt not commit adultery.
Exo 20:15 Thou shalt not steal.
Exo 20:16 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
Exo 20:17 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 04:45 pm
Thank you Biblio
0 Replies

hankarin

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 03:43 pm
How many versions are there?
Jesus summed up the ten commandments this way:
0 Replies