shewolfnm

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 12:26 pm
He really is.

He was a shock to see.
Not at all what I expected.. !
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 08:00 pm
So..today was my first real day back on my schedule.

I worked on friday.. but it was just.. a re-schedule to help this family stay on a some what regular schedule with me because there are 4 kids, 2 adults and 3 pets in that house.
Lordddy mercy.

Any-who.

Im driving down the street and about to pull into the Beans day care and it crosses my mind that if I want to attempt to keep a 3 week 'quitting time' , or schedule adjustment, or what EVER works best at that time, I had better start talking to these people I work for.
Icant just NOT show up anymore..

So I get Bean into her day care, get her lunch in the fridge, get my hugs and kisses from her and a few other kids who seem to gravitate to me like an icing covered cookie and I hop back in the car working out what and how to say what I need to say.

Down Lamar im so far into thought I did not realize I was driving 30 in a 45 Embarrassed
hehehe

Anyway.. I have a good script in my head and I am heading to someone whom I love to talk to anyway..

Pull up, get my gear out , drop my keys in my purse and feel my stomach just fall with the loss of stress over working like this anymore.
I really felt GOOD just standing there knowing that I could trade this work in for something that makes me happy, and something that I can earn three times as much if not more at.

Walk up to her door... knock... she opens it.. and I just melt.

I forget my script. I forget my comfort. I forget my concentration.. I just forget it all and walk right in.

The very thought that I would not see her again bothered me.

And then I realized that there is not a person, a family, or a couple that I work for that I dont truly love.
I have been working with these same people for almost 3 years.
Only one person has stopped working with me and it was not due to me.. it was due to their own job loss. Yet.. I still see her ..

Saying goodbye.. ? To all these people?

wow.. thats gonna be hard.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 09:05 pm
Moving up but not necessarily out, She... get networking (talking, dropping off your business cards, etc)... it's all going to take a bit of time to get established and by the time you do get established, you'll be ready to say goodbye to the cleaning. You can still retain them as future customers, as friends, or people in your memories.

Buck up, sheila! Sometimes it's just TIME to move on and I'm thinking this is it.

One day at a time, one foot at a time. Before you know it, you'll have eased yourself into another lifestyle. Take it from one who's just done it.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 09:06 pm
And Roger IS bloody handsome. Why'd you think I took so many pics of him? Very Happy
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 09:08 pm
<purrrrr>
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 09:09 pm
you know how many steps I have to take.. and how many things I need to change. Confused

this aint gonna be easy.. but some of it needs to be quick.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 09:10 pm
mice purr? Shocked
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 09:13 pm
Only when they're very contented. You just haven't seen enough contented rats.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 02:51 am
roger wrote:
<purrrrr>
Razz
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 06:34 am
What happened with your cemetary pics? Wasn't someone interested in those? Did you end up doing the pre-school pics? Wasn't there a mention of you doing that somewhere here a while back?

If I were able to take such great shots, I'd start by putting together a nice portfolio of humans, a nice portfolio of architecture, a nice portfolio of historical sites, etc. A different one for each type of client since you do well with animate and inanimate. Even if you prefer humans, you may find opportunities to do other work.

Contact local advertising companies. They often send photographers to the community I work in for photoshoots. Some are for the community (we still have new homes being sold) and some are of people for other advertising needs just because we have a great pool. Many times the advertising company has a photographer on staff, but not always. Set up an appointment to show them your portfolios.

Contact a local bridal magazine. We have one that is issued twice a year as a joint venture with the local paper. You can advertise in the Fall issue, business card size) for a pretty penny, but it only takes one call to earn it back.

Oh, and go to Office Depot and buy seamless business cards. Print out at least fifty. This will give you something to hand out... but it also helps change your mindset as to who you are and what you do. When people ask, from now on you are a photographer. Keep the business card design simple / elegant without a photo since you may not want to limit yourself to people pics. (although, that's what I love most)

Find out what you need to do to have a legal business name with the Secretary of State. Find out about legal release of people you shoot in case you want to be able to use them in advertising or other promo.

Have this done by noon and check back with us for urther instructions. Very Happy
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 06:42 am
squinney wrote:
Have this done by noon and check back with us for urther instructions. Very Happy

:-D Squinney rocks.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 08:53 am
BBB
I think Squinney has become Shewolf's business manager. Great for both of them!

BBB
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 12:11 pm
I just can't stand to see wasted talent.

(tapping finger on desk)

Times up. Where is she?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 12:33 pm
squinney wrote:
What happened with your cemetary pics?

The cemetary has to go though many more renovations before they want a final product. I may have lost that to a more famous local photographer though. It isnt over yet.. but the interest in me is waning. .
part of what fueled my need to go to school. NO one takes you seriously with out a degree no matter what.

Quote:
Did you end up doing the pre-school pics? Wasn't there a mention of you doing that somewhere here a while back?

It was a college graduation. And not only do I do that every 6 months, but I also do thier staff photos as needed.

Quote:

If I were able to take such great shots, I'd start by putting together a nice portfolio of humans, a nice portfolio of architecture, a nice portfolio of historical sites, etc. A different one for each type of client since you do well with animate and inanimate. Even if you prefer humans, you may find opportunities to do other work.

I have a book that I carry with me for children s photos and one about adults. No commercial work though ... not yet. Should work on that. I dont do so well with boring stiff things though. I like and it is easier to do people..
This is a project in itself..

Quote:
Contact local advertising companies.

And here is the need for a degree.
advertising companies do not just take someone with an expensive camera. Which.. in their eyes.. is exactly what I am . No matter that I can give them exactly what they need.. they need to write me off in thier tax and approve my 'use' with the company. So I need to be a licensed, degree toting, possible business owning person.

Im throwing my head down and ramming my way into ACC right now .
Tried to make the registration deadline for June classes but I did not have my ducks in a row. Im now shooting for august with credits given for work accomplished, on the job experience and being 'technically published'.
Im also hoping to by pass the fact that I dont have a high school diploma. I do have college education under my belt, but I never graduated high school. Eh. Lets see.

Quote:

Contact a local bridal magazine. We have one that is issued twice a year as a joint venture with the local paper. You can advertise in the Fall issue, business card size) for a pretty penny, but it only takes one call to earn it back.

Good idea. Consider it done.
I scheduled my first actual wedding to photograph late June.
I need those photos first for examples of what I can do, and for photos they can publish.
Consider that done. Smile

Quote:

Oh, and go to Office Depot and buy seamless business cards. Print out at least fifty. This will give you something to hand out... but it also helps change your mindset as to who you are and what you do. When people ask, from now on you are a photographer. Keep the business card design simple / elegant without a photo since you may not want to limit yourself to people pics. (although, that's what I love most)

Got 250.
this is the front photo

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2297/2143073334_99bb26f4db.jpg

theback is basic black.
My website written in the middle

First and last name on top

phone number on bottom
Quote:

Find out what you need to do to have a legal business name with the Secretary of State. Find out about legal release of people you shoot in case you want to be able to use them in advertising or other promo.

DBA
Model release forms.

Got em both

Quote:

Im bull headed and work quick.

Whats next

:wink:
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 01:05 pm
It's always good to have a degree, but honestly, I've hired dozens of photographers for magazine work, publicity, advertising, catalog work, etc....and not once have I ever asked one about their education. I just wanted to see their book.

A degree doesn't make you a professional photographer. Excellent work does.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 01:58 pm
Agree on the degree. If you want to get one, fine. But, you don't need it to freelance or start your own business. Don't let that be an excuse.

Good golly, you work fast! Ha! and you think you clean houses. If you are getting paid to do graduations and weddings you are a photographer, silly.

Business card... nice.

I'm assuming DBA means you are registered with the Secretary of State. Can you buy wholesale? Do you have a business ID number? Could save you alot on paper, matting, frames, etc. Weigh that against additional taxes and quarterly filings. (those suck!)

You need a separate business line. Ground line so it appears in the phone book. If using your cell number, a lot of places will charge to list you. Check on that. Ours comes out in March, but they'll start compiling numbers / ads in August. A card size ad can seem expensive, but again, it pays off with one call or less per month.

Do you want to specialize? Weddings are tough. Brides and Mothers of the Bride are stressful to me. I don't do weddings. But, they pay well. In addition to portraits and wedding photo's you can also go after the reception photographer position.

Would you rather shoot children? If so, what market? Large corporates usually have the schools, but you could go for the preschools. Do you have a local Parent magazine / monthly paper? An ad there would get your name out for family portraits, reunions, Anniversaries, etc.

Oh, and start carrying your camera on your shoulder everywhere you go if you don't already. Consider it part of your wardrobe since you are changing clothes. :wink:
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 02:11 pm
DBA- doing business as

Tax number (check )

buy whole sale?
HUh?

Hmm. I obviously dont have that. Because I have no idea what your talking about Laughing
So.. let me look into that.

Quarterly taxes.... yeah.. well.. this is where I admit I dont file taxes
But that is because I earn less then the amount required to PAY and FILE..

but that has changed this year

Seperate business line.
Ouuuffff. Yeah. .ok. I will get that. but it is not a priority JUST yet.

What do I want to specialize in ? Candid stuff. Doesnt matter if its kids, adults, or what have you..
Weddings do scare me.. but I can charge around 2000.00 and only do one every month or every OTHER month and be fine.. Fill in my little bills with family sessions around 500.00 each.

Im not sure exactly what I want to do.

Frankly.. I would love to be a photographer who can sell her prints for several thousand dollars and have everyone know my name..

But im not about to stroke my ego like that.
Not the immediate goal here ya know...
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 02:37 pm
Hey She...

I would think as much small as big right now...

degree... not sure about that - I think a portfolio speaks volumes - picture paints a thousand words and all that.

IMO - I would go to local newspapers - go to sports events (permission will probably be needed to take shots of kids tho)

Friend of mine... daughter plays England Rugby Squad. Chap goes along with his camera (freelance) - takes photos of the kids having made himself known to parents (business cards etc) and earns money for each photo that is bought. He has the eye - he makes good money.

Local events - advertise in local papers....

start out... get your name known - then go onto the bigger and better
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 02:46 pm
You have to dream big.

Funny that just as I hit "submit" before I was thinking gallery show. The ones from your A2K visit are a super start. Do you have a local gallery? We have some downtown where they are trying to make it a bit more artsy fartsy... galleries, wine tastings, condo's built into old warehouse ... And, the galleries are all about local art.

Surely you have something close by?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 02:54 pm
Little restos are often looking for artists whose work they can display on a rotating schedule.

Any good artists' co-ops you can hook up with? take turns running the gallery ...
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/16/2024 at 11:49:13