Change your clothes

Eva

Reply Fri 23 May, 2008 11:52 am
shewolfnm wrote:
...I dont tell much about what I do for a living during the day.

Sort of like a dirty secret.

No. Eva's right.. there is no shame.. but there is embarrassment. And I would be lying if I said otherwise.

But it IS honest work... god knows I can work the illegal things to my hearts content if I like. Im just too old for that crap. So I do the next best thing.
Work under the table. Unnoticed, unaffected and unannounced.

That is ridiculous. There is no reason you should be embarrassed about cleaning houses. Like you said, it's honest work, and there are a lot of people out there that need somebody. I'll bet you're damned good at it, too. You don't strike me as the kind of person who does things halfway.

Look. You started that business, right? You should be proud of that. And I'd be willing to bet a hundred bucks that you've learned things you'll need to know when you start your next business...this time in photography.

One of these days, you're going to look back and realize it was a step you needed to take to prepare yourself.

Onward and upward, as they say.... Cool
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 23 May, 2008 01:24 pm
Remember that your cleaning business is established and might well be worth some m-o-n-e-y to a new owner.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Fri 23 May, 2008 02:01 pm
This is one of the best threads I've read here in a long time.

Sounds like you have a natural ability and talent, shewolf. The way you talked about "just knowing" when to take the picture, as if you "feel" the right time -- and even the right camera settings! You are one with your camera!

I've seen enough of your photos to know how talented you are. One thing I always admired about you as a photographer is that you aren't afraid to take pics in "black and white." So many people stick to color -- guess they think it makes more of an impact. And vibrant colors can make an impact, no doubt about it.

But there can be something equally special about black and white. It can have just as much of an impact -- maybe even more -- if you know how to do it.

And you do.

I'm so glad you're making this decision. If you've been getting offers from people to do some projects......well......WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR???

Go for it! Razz
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Fri 23 May, 2008 04:01 pm
This is so cool to read. !!

You are going to do great, you already have.

So happy for you. Go for it! Be happy.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 23 May, 2008 04:02 pm
Wink

I have actually had butterflies in my belly all day... trying to figure out what to say to my cleaning clients.

Once tonight is done , I will know where I stand on what advertising I can fund.
From there.. lets see how close to the 3 week mark I can stay.. Very Happy
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 23 May, 2008 04:32 pm
Wolfie, when I said, on another thread, that your photos of Bob and the Bean brought tears to my eyes, I didn't add that Bob had tears in his eyes as well.

Part of the reason for the teary eyes is from our love for Bean, but the emotion and love you capture in your photographs is almost palpable. Your style and connection with your subject are well beyond most of the photos I've seen in exhibits.

As Eva said, the cleaning job will hold you over until you are actually making enough to equal and outdo what you make cleaning, so that is an important standby. In a few years I can just imagine the memories you are making right now, with the cleaning and trying to start a career. You will look back on these days as the start of a lifetime of loving what you do. How rare is that?

You are one of the most amazing women I've ever met and I've known quite a few good ones, and that also contributes to your skill at photography; you find the deepest emotion, the happiest smile and the sleepy beauty of Bean and the personality and thoughtfulness of your other subjects. Your background, combined with your intelligence and tender toughness, make you unique. You are one of those talents that comes along every few decades and makes a lasting, valued impact.

Noddy said it best: "Hold you dominion."
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Fri 23 May, 2008 04:38 pm
Quote:
You are one of the most amazing women I've ever met

And, let me add, one of the coolest people on a2k!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 23 May, 2008 04:51 pm
Smile Stray Cat--so true.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 23 May, 2008 07:23 pm
When I wrote:
...You started that (cleaning) business, right? You should be proud of that. And I'd be willing to bet a hundred bucks that you've learned things you'll need to know when you start your next business...this time in photography....

Idea

I should've bet you an 8 x 10 glossy.

They'll probably be worth much more in the long run.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 23 May, 2008 07:33 pm
you are really a great photographer. Your vignettes are great . Is there a photographers market book? Ive used the artists market for cartoon gigs and they kept me in living money years ago.
When you have a first love for a career choice, you must obey it.
Its like going without a net but you will succeed. Your passion is evident in your shots. That shot of dys was better than anything MArgaret Bourke WHite ever did. Im serious.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 23 May, 2008 09:30 pm
Margaret Bourke-White did airplanes and such. (I like her work, but way diff) Not to argue, as Wolfie has it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 03:47 am
osso, take a look back at some photo magazines (includingLIFE) wherin MBW has done really engaging portraits and studies of expression.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 04:18 am
Ah - with SheWolfs shots - that's the beauty of her art - they are natural and visualised from behind the lens - she captures the moment - a split second in time and without effort or forethought, capturing the depth forever and giving the person who views the photo, an intimacy and undertstanding of the subject. That's why she will make this a success. Would love to see the portfolio in the making.....
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 04:45 am
Osso Theres a book of MBW's work called "You Remember their Faces" It was a book of studies of the depression in the faces of her subjects . She and Erskin Caldwell did it. HE wrote, she photoed.

Hers an eg, SHARECROPPERS

Remember, she was the one who got the pictures of Ghandi that are the best studies of this man. She also got his portrait just an hour before he was assasinated.While MBW may be remembered for being the fotog of tanks and planes, her portraits were really good and sensitive

This is about SHEWOLF and her budding career, Im only comparing her work to a past great in photojournalism and portraiture.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 04:49 am
farmerman wrote:

(Oh - look at that shot fm- there's about 50 years of story in that one single picture! Depth..... massive! Get's you thinking a?)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 04:52 am
Actually the guy and his wife are only in their early 30's Very Happy
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 04:57 am
(Yeah - but it goes way beyond that...a? Kinda like, what was passed on to them - family heirloom stuff - great shot)
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 06:19 am
I have to say, I have never heard of her before..

After searching and reading.. she is quite impressive. Thanks for that comparison..
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 07:24 am
I just wanted to say something about that cleaning business.

The other day, I was talking to my brother. And I was actually telling him about you shewolf (not your name or anything, but as a person who I've spoken to on a forum I like to go to).

I respect you so much for what you have done. Our conversation was about certain people we know who are struggling to make ends meet, and coming from a tough background, and have chosen to take the path of not working and relying on assistance and others mostly to change their world.

I respect so much where you came from, and what you did to make a life for you and your family. A life of dignity, peace, comfort and love.
You are an inspiration to me.

The fact that you have been working cleaning just makes me all the more proud of you in a way.
You didn't have to do that.
You could have taken the easy way out.
You didn't - you got right in there and saw a need and provided what needed doing.

I think Noddy is right, someone may be willing to give you something for that business you built up. Someone who is looking for a new chance. Yet another way you'll be spreading love and empowerment around.

I know what it is to be embarrassed sometimes by what you do, simply bc it is something you know you have surpassed and you know you have so much potential - and feel you should be using it. I've worked a lot of jobs like that.

But you did so much more than just cleaning while you did that. You were building a strong family, and a home, and your business skills, and showing bean something that is going to stick with her whole life.

I just wanted you to know that I respect you for it. A lesser woman couldn't have done it. It takes balls and determination and a strong sense of self. In short, you are awesome.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 08:08 am
Okay, shewolfie. What are you going to do today to get started towards fulfilling what you are supposed to be doing with your life?

You don't have to jump both feet first. Make a list of what needs to happen, who to contact, supplies needed, what research needs to be done... Make logical steps towards yur goal and it will happen in no time.

I'd start with contacting those that have shown an interest in your work first.

And, I'll be the first to buy a collage like the one Butterfly posted on the ABQ thread. Just the print, no frame since it would be harder to ship. Let me know what you would want for it.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/16/2024 at 01:35:17