NICE DANCE, MARIE M. - prose

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 05:48 pm
dupre
I am far from the accomplished author you might envision. Many have praised my skill, but thus far my every effort to make it commercial has failed. I intend to finish the novel my profile speaks of. I have an autobiographical novel on the back burner. I spent many years dreaming of writing, beginning stories that never had any endings. Then I changed my diet to become more healthy. It helped my brain too. I began to finish some of my stories. Now, at the age of 60, I dare to dream - I don't envision big money. Just to see some of my stuff well recieved would be enough.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 08:31 pm
What an inspiration you are. Maybe someday, I'll have something to say through fiction or essays as well.

I can certainly relate to the nutrition issue. Had trouble eating, actually didn't know I was supposed to. It took a year to put the weight on, and, yes, my brain works better, too. Just, never as well as I'd like, but that might be old age at this point. Who knows?

Best wishes getting accepted. Your writing is certainly worthy of publication.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 08:35 pm
debacle
I am not ignoring your comments; I am just too scatterbrained at the moment to reply coherently.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 07:26 pm
I have reintroduced this story to a2k after deleting it some time back. I had felt at the time the original writing forum was not getting enough respect. All right, I was miffed. Anyway, new members, please feel free to comment.
0 Replies

jackie

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 02:00 pm
This is deeply fascinating, edgar. I do not remember reading it before.
I see it as:
It is is the sense of understanding what could happen---
should we, as mere humans- caught in a 24 hour, 60 minutes to an hour, 60 seconds to a minute --- be capable of reacting in our thought and emotional planes in minute bits.
The huge realization, that she will land - and break apart- begins the trauma. To be prepared for it by having the 'nicotine relief' of dragging on a smoke, is his next urgent traumatizing need.

You unscrambled all the fright, hurt, spite, admiration, and cruel needs, edgar... as though we humans HAD the time to see it before hindsight.

I think you did a perfect job. It comes in the order of it's horror.
Excellent addition, thanks.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 05:36 pm
Thank you, Jackie. I took a notion to get outside feedback to my writing last year. I sent this tale at one time and later a second story to the Writer's Digest Critique department for a fee. The second one the reviewer described the writing as almost lyrical and he thought it really good; but he didn't understand the ending. The one that is the subject of this thread got a response from a reviewer who claimed to have a million copies of his writing in print. I won't name him here. He seemed to be complimenting me on the story while giving me his backhand at the same time. He said I was free to demand my money back from the Writer's Digest if I did not think his review served me well. Far from being offended, I was grateful that he did not just flatter me for the money.
0 Replies