Texas: Court Rulings on Child Custody with Polygamists.

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 07:24 pm
I've been following this story and I'm feeling conflicted. While I outright disagree with the lifestyle they promote, I'm appalled by the ideas being put forth by the news sphere about this case.

I'm worried about what slippery slope the court is playing with.

The way they have characterized abuse is dangerously close to moral standardization. The argument being made is that the children are being abused. If this is true, I don't think it will be because of the reasons put forth.

This case alarms me because it loosens the definition of abuse, and gives the government a back door to intervene on families based on a disapproval of their lifestyle.

I'm also alarmed about how this issue is being tread in a general sense instead of 400 individual cases. Perhaps their is abuse taking place, but I'm skeptical that every family should be punished in such a way.

So what do I think about polygamists? Let them square off with the IRS, but don't take their children away. I honestly feel horrible for these children being away from the parents. For small children especially, this has to be very scary for them.

Thoughts?
K
O
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,013 • Replies: 14
No top replies

littlek

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 08:11 pm
I feel exactly the same way about it as you do. I was appalled at the way the law handled it and about the way the media hyped it. It seemed that otherwise normal, well-thinking people just tossed their brains aside and joined the witch hunt.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 08:47 pm
does anyone have a link to "the list?" Appearently, there is a list of things that the parents are being told that they must do to get their children back. I'd like to see and evaluate for myself.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 20 May, 2008 08:27 pm
I think the fact that so many girls under the age of 16 were either pregnant or already had children constitutes abuse. If these girls were forced to marry older men and then have sex with them, then I say they should be taken away from the parents.

I realize most of the mothers grew up in the belief and went through the same thing. But, to me, that makes it all the more abusive. Why, if one has gone through such a thing, would they put their child through the same thing?

I am not saying this is definitely the case in this situation. I am saying IF it is then I feel the children are better off away from the parents.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 20 May, 2008 08:34 pm
Hi AM, long time no see.

I'm just upset about the news coverage. These cases need to be treated individually, not as a one large case with many moving parts. I think it only serves to incite prejudice against the plaintiffs. I think they deserve a fair trial. I think too much assumption is going on.

I don't think that 16 year olds should be married off, and be forced to bear children, but I'm still inclined to watch this close to see if lines are being blurred. I'm convinced that their has been abuse, but the response I'm seeing is alarming.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 04:24 am
Suppose the cult was Muslim rather than Morman?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 05:06 am
Dealing with that many cases, at least some will be shown to be in error. But, as has been pointed out, so many pregnant children, so many abused boys - There has to be an end to it.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 07:53 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Suppose the cult was Muslim rather than Morman?

I imagine that if this was the case the media would be actively seeking out the most verbal members of the cult. Any sort of media coverage to stimulate the fears of the christian american and make them think that the country is under siege. Not because it is, but it would get ratings.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 06:14 am
Diest--

I think we tend to be more protective of the cultural quirks of our native-born lunatic fringe than unnatural, alien customs of "them".

Either way, I'm personally against child brides.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 06:35 am
edgarblythe wrote:
so many pregnant children, so many abused boys - There has to be an end to it.

One could apply that very statement to christianity.

catholic church members are abusing little boys hand over fist and some are being hidden for protection so they dont get reported.

African girls , in the name of christ, are being married to older men, raped by older men or otherwise forced into sexual relationships.

American christian men are abusing their own daughters, other girls and are otherwise forcing sexual relationships on children.

I have to agree with Diest..

this sounds more like a religious attack then a legal one..

Though I too am absolutely against child brides and young girls being allowed to not only be married, but expected to have children while at the age of 12, 13 and sometimes possibly younger.

So far, the sexual abuse, (which I ..for my own opinion.. will include married girls under the age of 17 in my statement) seems to be the only leg the law can stand on here... that and the polygamy ..which I am not so sure should be illega;
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 12:11 pm
I completely agree that these things must be stopped. People that do these things, in my opinion, have no business calling themselves Christians.

They are merely people using religion to get away with what they want to get away with. Unfortunately, you see so much of it anymore people are beginning to think it's the norm for those that are religious.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 12:26 pm
Im not only speaking of christians.. and I am not just pointing the finger at that religion either.

There are people all over the world, who follow any and all religion forcing themselves on others in the name of their god, their religion and their beliefs.

Im simply using christianity as a word here.. trying to show how empty and bland the law's attempts to make them ( the polygamists) illegal and sound like total criminals.

Polygamy to me falls under the gay lifestyle.. Meaning.. it is no ones business who you are sleeping with and not the laws right to tell you not to. If you can support multiple husbands or wives.. more power to you.
If you remain honest with all involved about marrying others.. more power to you
It is no ones right to tell you what you can and can not do sexualy.

Forcing, or other wise teaching little girls to have kids at 11, marry at 12 and allow their bodies to be used for sex before they are even physically mature is wrong.. no matter what religion you subscribe to.

if the law can stay in those parameters then I think they will have a solid case.
But to argue polygamy.. well .. they ARE getting into a moral highground that does not belong
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 03:18 pm
Honestly, I agree with the cultural shift to older marriages. I can find nothing but benefits to individuals being more mature when they make such important decisions.

I can't however ignore that the bar has only been moved; that in fact before a certain point in history young marriage was more than acceptable.

Like I said, I like where the bar is now, but I can't help but feel like these cases are more about government intervening in homes. These people perhaps needed to be stopped. I don't agree with hat they do, I'm just worried about how this case will be used to advance other political agendas unrelated to child marriage or polygamy.

Tomorrow a atheist family might have to be fighting in court to get their children back because their lifestyle is different than that of the status quo. Political pundits on television may go on about how raising a child without God is abuse, and that these children have no future with these families. There are even people today who are prepared to say that being a single parent is tantamount to abuse.

It's a slippery slope. Ethically, I'm inclined to let people raise their children as they choose, even if that means future struggle. If I were to say that they can't, I'd have to justify why we aren't snatching children out of homes in neighborhoods of extreme poverty or high gang violence. Some children grow up hating Jews. Some children grow up watching their father slap the mother around. Some children grow up in a household with drugs.

If this is truly for the benefit of these kids, shouldn't the kids in the dangerous gang neighborhoods be taken too? after taking all these kids away from their parents what do we do with them? Do these actions/policies actually provide a practical solution? Or is it a way to treat a symptom?

T
K
O
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 11:26 pm
Looks like TX supreme court may return children to their mothers.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 23 May, 2008 05:02 am
Diest I have to agree with most of what you have psoted. It is a fine line that must be walked concerning these issues. I, personally, may not like the way someone is bringing up a child, but that certainly does not mean that child is being abused.

I don't agree with polygamy and as long as it is against the law I believe that law should be enforced. However, I don't feel a polygamist family constitutes abuse. My issue is the girls being forced to marry, have sex, and have children at such young ages. If they can prove that, then I say more power to them correcting the problem.

I hope that made sense. I just got up and haven't even finished a full cup of coffee. But it's Friday! Last day of work this week and a three day weekend coming up! Laughing
0 Replies