Taiwan Independence Supporters Call for Name Change

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 09:02 am
Sep 6, 2003
Taiwan Independence Supporters Call for Name Change
By Stephan Grauwels - Associated Press Writer

TAIPEI, Taiwan (AP) - Thousands of pro-independence activists marched Saturday in the capital, demanding that the island's official name be changed from the Republic of China to Taiwan.
Waving banners, the protesters converged on the wide boulevard in front of the presidential office building for hours of speeches and music.

The organizers estimated the crowd at the peak of the event at around 150,000 people. But even before the protest officially ended, most of the crowds had already dispersed.

Taiwan and China split at the end of a civil war in 1949, but Taiwan's government kept the name "Republic of China," while the communist government in Beijing adopted the name "People's Republic of China."

Beijing still claims Taiwan as part of its territory and threatens to use force if the island declares formal independence. China would see any name change as such a declaration.

Former President Lee Teng-hui, 80, expressed his support for the name change.

"The Republic of China is not a normal country," Lee said. "I hope that one day, I will be able to say out loud, Taiwan is the name of my country."

Lee was making his first public speech since heart surgery early last week. After his speech, crowds shouted his nickname, chanting in English "Uncle Ah-hui, I love you!"

An activist planted a flag on a map of Taiwan under the slogan "Taiwan, our country's name, our mother's dream," choirs sang religious songs, and performers in bright orange clothing beat drums.

Current President Chen Shui-bian stayed away from the event but said he would have been there if he wasn't head of state.

Chen has favored independence but has toned down his views in recent years to appeal to Taiwan's large pool of moderate voters who oppose moves that could raise tensions with China. Top officials and lawmakers of Chen's Democratic Progressive Party appeared at the event wearing green, the party color.

The protesters said the island must change its official name to gain a higher international profile.

They also want several companies that still carry references to China in their name to change them and demanded that the government use the name "Taiwan" when it applies to join the United Nations later this month.

It will be the island's 11th attempt to seek admission to the United Nations. China opposes the move and has used its political clout to block Taiwan's previous applications.

"Taiwan must use its own name to go out into the world," said Hsi Mei-yueh, 51, a housewife carrying a flag of the Taiwan Solidarity Union, a small pro-independence party.

At the other side of the boulevard from the Presidential Office, police guarded the headquarters of the opposition Nationalist Party, which opposes Taiwan independence, to prevent any possible clashes with demonstrators.

This story can be found at: http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGA094PI9KD.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 475 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 07:10 am
They're a democracy that most democratic countries (including my own) refuse to recognise, while most pander to every whim of the communist Chinese government. God forbid they'd upset a country with a billion potential customers. The possible profit is all that matters.
0 Replies