Rapper DMX calls Obama "nigger"

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 08:52 am
I cannot find the article right now, but in an interview recently the rapper DMX called Presidential candidate Barack Obama a "nigger" several times, and he made fun of his name.

I think there should be some outrage over this.

onyxelle

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 08:55 am
it's DMX. I don't expect anything legal or coherent or worth listening to to come out of him.

There might have been some outrage about it. Maybe it wasn't at a2k, but I'm sure those thoughtful folks that heard about it were pissed.

"ass" is the term i'd readily apply [to DMX]. Article please...

and oh, are you going to google every instance of racial statements concerning barack obama and post here to question why there's no a2k outrage about it? I'm just asking so I can know if I need to check back every few minutes for a new something to get riled up about.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 09:00 am
Here is the full text of this wonderfully literate interview:

Quote:
XXL: Are you following the presidential race?
DMX: Not at all.

You're not? You know there's a Black guy running, Barack Obama and then there's Hillary Clinton.
His name is Barack?!

Barack Obama, yeah.
Barack?!

Barack.
What the **** is a Barack?! Barack Obama. Where he from, Africa?

Yeah, his dad is from Kenya.
Barack Obama?

Yeah.
What the ****?! That ain't no fuckin' name, yo. That ain't that nigga's name. You can't be serious. Barack Obama. Get the **** outta here.

You're telling me you haven't heard about him before.
I ain't really paying much attention.

I mean, it's pretty big if a BlackĀ…
Wow, Barack! The nigga's name is Barack. Barack? Nigga named Barack Obama. What the ****, man?! Is he serious? That ain't his fuckin' name. Ima tell this nigga when I see him, "Stop that bullshit. Stop that bullshit" [laughs] "That ain't your fuckin' name." Your momma ain't name you no damn Barack.

Your natural reaction may be to ask, like, "Hey, has DMX been hiding under a rock, or what?" Well, um, according to YouTube, he's in the studio, acting like he's on the rock.

http://thephoenix.com/phlog/2008/03/18/ObamasRapperProblem.aspx

I thought it was pretty funny Smile
onyxelle

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 09:03 am
oh, i can see the thrilling polical response that will rear it's head when the A2Kers read this drivel.

It wasn't even worth posting.

come on.

thanks, though high seas...for the article. Silly me thinking there might have been something actually said.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 09:05 am
Hi Onyxelle - didn't you just say "article please"? It's right there in your previous post, check it out!
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 09:08 am
i know i said it and i did want to read it.

what i said just now was in reflection. you know. after reading it i'm of the mind that i was better off not having see it. But thanked you for posting it like I asked.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 09:10 am
High Seas- Personally, I am not particularly enamoured about Obama. But when some idiot attempts to get laughs by being obnoxious, I would just let it slip by.

BTW, I have no idea who DMX is, and judging by what he says, it is no loss!!!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 09:11 am
Breaking! Some guy calls Obama a name.

It's the front page story on today's issue of Big Whoop magazine

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 09:29 am
Oh....so no particular uproar over this then.

What if Garth Brooks said it?
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 09:46 am
maporsche wrote:

Quit being such a predictable baby. Do you really think you've set the tone for a serious conversation?

First off, if you listened to hip hop, and could name one song by DMX without resorting to Google, you'd understand that "nigger" in that context is typically pronounced "nigga" and has a completely different connotation.

If Garth Brooks said it, he'd have said "nigger," whose connotation I don't think I need to spell out.

Why are you taking whatever political grievances you have about Obama out on a rapper way past his prime, who can't even vote to begin with because of his criminal record?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 10:56 am
maporsche wrote:

Frankly, the disparity of response over this crap does piss me off.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 11:01 am
Lash wrote:
maporsche wrote:

Frankly, the disparity of response over this crap does piss me off.

Just an artifact of our modern language.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 11:02 am
I'll never be able to stop pining for the day Garth and DMX get the same response...I don't care what it is...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 11:27 am
I think it's a matter of expectations. Folks might expect a higher level of discourse from Garth as opposed to the farting that comes out of DMX's mouth. I'll never stop pining for the day that we can expect the same level of discourse (more or less) from Garth and DMX.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 11:27 am
Gargamel wrote:
maporsche wrote:

Quit being such a predictable baby. Do you really think you've set the tone for a serious conversation?

First off, if you listened to hip hop, and could name one song by DMX without resorting to Google, you'd understand that "nigger" in that context is typically pronounced "nigga" and has a completely different connotation.
I would like to say this is COMPLETE BULLSHIT. Connotation MY ASS! They mean the SAME THING. (breathes deep...fluffs hair)
If Garth Brooks said it, he'd have said "nigger," whose connotation I don't think I need to spell out.

Why are you taking whatever political grievances you have about Obama out on a rapper way past his prime, who can't even vote to begin with because of his criminal record?

The double standard pisses some people off...legitimately and with no angle.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 11:31 am
Lash wrote:
I'll never be able to stop pining for the day Garth and DMX get the same response...I don't care what it is...

Really? What inconvenience is it to you?

Are DMX and other rappers contributing to the marginalization of their race by creating music that oftentimes describes its actual marginalization, though they may in the process use a term that, in a completely different context, could be considered derogatory?
Lash

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 11:46 am
Gargamel wrote:
Lash wrote:

Really? What inconvenience is it to you?

Are DMX and other rappers contributing to the marginalization of their race by creating music that oftentimes describes its actual marginalization, though they may in the process use a term that, in a completely different context, could be considered derogatory?

Inequality is a serious inconvenience to me. The term is either derogatory or not...assuming different poses based on who said it is ridiculous and fakery.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 11:48 am
Lash, we've all seen women friends here call each other "bitch" in a joking way, but if someone not a friend were to say it, it'd have a whole different meaning.

This is what Gargamel is trying to explain.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 11:52 am
It's not quite that simple, Mame.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 11:53 am
Lash wrote:
It's not quite that simple, Mame.

No, it's not that simple. But it's not as black and white as you posit, either.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Rapper DMX calls Obama "nigger"
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 01:53:21