Rapper DMX calls Obama "nigger"

Lash

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 11:54 am
I'd like it to be. I think it should be. Authentic equality....(sighs)
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 11:59 am
Lash wrote:
I'd like it to be. I think it should be. Authentic equality....(sighs)

It's part of Obama's message, and what he hit at in his speech: equality has not been achieved, it isn't all the fault of White folk (like some would contend), and ignoring the issues does not solve them.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 12:04 pm
R.A.P = Retards Attempting Poetry. Mad
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 12:06 pm
Jesus, Cyclo, stop selling me!!...haha Laughing
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 12:07 pm
For that to be the case, the nature of words would have to be completely different. They are signifiers. Symbols. And therefore meaning is subjective. That's why dictionary entries feature lists of meanings. You are arguing that words can have only one meaning.

No one can reasonably argue that DMX, or any black person who says "nigga," considers his race inferior. They do not look fondly on the era when "nigger" was most in fashion.

Whether you like it or not, the word has two meanings. The real question here is, are we critiquing intent or manners?
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 12:08 pm
Zippo wrote:
R.A.P = Retards Attempting Poetry. Mad

Zippo = lame
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 12:12 pm
Garg--

You are making a LOT of assumptions. There are self-loathing blacks. There are blacks who believe blacks are inferior.

...and there are several uses of "nigger." One is merely to quote someone else's use of the word... I'm tired of the argument. I'm surprised I said anything...but once in a while, someone needs to point out another viewpoint. I hate the lockstep groupspeak.

INTENT should matter, but it's too easy to just vilify words.

I'm more concerned about you cramming all blacks under the "they" umbrella...
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 12:18 pm
Lash wrote:
I'm more concerned about you cramming all blacks under the "they" umbrella...

Um, a pretty grand assumption underlies that sentence (that trick is really, really old). "They" would refer to hip hop artists, and I'm fairly familiar with that group. It's a genre with an undeniable history of political consciousness. So to say most hip hop artists are not self- loathing racists is a safe assumption.

But, you know what? It's also safe to say that most black people don't wish for the destruction of their race. We have to allow certain assumptions if we're going to participate on a forum like this. For example, I have to assume when I hit the "on" switch my computer will activate.

Onward.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 12:24 pm
I'm not playing gotcha. You opened it up when you said that it was safe to assume that any black person using "nigga" isn't self-loathing. I say you just can't make that statement.

One girl.

I'd never say this girl is a good example of the much more subtle self-loathing that fuels use of that word in the black community, but she came to mind during our comments.

It does the same thing--says the same thing--no matter who says it or the pretext they attempt to associate with it.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 12:35 pm
Lash wrote:
I'm not playing gotcha. You opened it up when you said that it was safe to assume that any black person using "nigga" isn't self-loathing. I say you just can't make that statement.

One girl.

I'd never say this girl is a good example of the much more subtle self-loathing that fuels use of that word in the black community, but she came to mind during our comments.

It does the same thing--says the same thing--no matter who says it or the pretext they attempt to associate with it.

Well, now I'm curious.

I'll have to check out that clip at home, where I have sound.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 12:38 pm
It is OUTRAGEOUS! I was embarrassed sitting at home watching it. I thought someone was going to slap her. I thought Montel might, actually. She must have some severe emotional problems. You'll have to tell me what you think after you hear her.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 01:36 pm
i find this way more offensive

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3283/2490245157_1cfbee0043.jpg

shouldn't it at least be called an african american kid's desk
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 07:51 pm
Would it be acceptable to refer to Obama as a WASP (White, African, Senator Politician)?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 01:36 pm
There are very many blacks who object to any use of the n-word, by anyone of any race.

Interestingly enough it is usually white liberals who try to convince us that there is a measurable distinction between use of the term by blacks and by whites, with the former somehow being OK.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 01:47 pm
Isn't a DMX one of those trick bikes from the 70s and 80s with a tall buddy seat in the back and a short wheelbase?

Oh you say ... that's a BMX? Never mind!
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 02:25 pm
djjd, you should totally start a thread about that, the discussion needs to be started... Here we are in 2008, and yet still, the child who looks like Garth Brooks and the child who looks like DMX have different computer desks. (I feel especially bad for the Garth Brooks-looking kids.)
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 02:32 pm
djjd62 wrote:
i find this way more offensive

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3283/2490245157_1cfbee0043.jpg

shouldn't it at least be called an african american kid's desk

Laughing Laughing
My first thought was - 'why does the black kid get the most basic, least expensive desk? Laughing

I think it's about ownership. If Garth Brooks said, 'I better get my white cracker ass back into the studio and make me so money'...who'd give a crap?

But if DMX said, 'Garth should get his white cracker ass into the studio and start making some money,' it gives it a whole different flavor.

The black people I know don't loath themselves....they're happy to be black. They wouldn't trade places with white people if you paid them- and I'm not talking about stratas in society - sure- who wouldn't want to be on top there ? I'm talking about in their blackness - who they are - the black people I know would never choose to be white even if they could. I think that indicates a good dose of racial acceptance and self-esteem -the opposite of self-loathing.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 02:35 pm
cyphercat wrote:
djjd, you should totally start a thread about that, the discussion needs to be started... Here we are in 2008, and yet still, the child who looks like Garth Brooks and the child who looks like DMX have different computer desks. (I feel especially bad for the Garth Brooks-looking kids.)

Excuse me Cyphercat and Aidan, but are you serious?

The desk is the same for everybody: there's only one color, sort of like the original Model T Ford, and it's black. The desk. Not the child.

Maybe though - just maybe - someone broke into the apartment where the desk pictured is located and swiped the computer that was on it. Mere speculation on my part Smile
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 02:44 pm
It's humor, high seas

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 02:44 pm
I was serious in that I first thought - they're calling that a black kid's desk - probably because of dddj's no frills masterful set up- and the context of the thread- so yeah - I did have that first thought - but almost immediately - I got it and laughed really, really hard at dddj's (I always feel that I spell that wrong) joke and my reaction....

But the point is - if people who know who they are and what living their life is like for them want to call themselves something - who am I to judge why or wherefore of it?

I do tell my students they are confusing white people though...but I also agree with Gargamel - it's a term of endearment, respect, brotherhood- whatever you want to call it and they call white people they like 'nigga's' too.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/15/2024 at 06:56:44