Rapper DMX calls Obama "nigger"

High Seas

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 02:48 pm
Aidan - it never occured to me that DJJD meant it as anything but a joke, but then I've never had the least trace of political correctness in me. Here's a "kool kolors" desk you may like better:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41HD0TB9CNL._SS260_.jpg
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 02:49 pm
aidan wrote:
I do tell my students they are confusing white people though...but I also agree with Gargamel - it's a term of endearment, respect, brotherhood- whatever you want to call it and they call white people they like 'nigga's' too.

Do their white friends call their black friends 'nigga's' too?

I suspect not.

Why should there be such a double standard for a term of endearment?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 02:49 pm
This thread needed the black kid's/kids' desk... Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 02:52 pm
aidan wrote:
I was serious in that I first thought - they're calling that a black kid's desk - probably because of dddj's no frills masterful set up- and the context of the thread- so yeah - I did have that first thought - but almost immediately - I got it and laughed really, really hard at dddj's (I always feel that I spell that wrong) joke and my reaction....

But the point is - if people who know who they are and what living their life is like for them want to call themselves something - who am I to judge why or wherefore of it?

I do tell my students they are confusing white people though...but I also agree with Gargamel - it's a term of endearment, respect, brotherhood- whatever you want to call it and they call white people they like 'nigga's' too.

The wet dream of every 'wigga' is to be a called a 'nigga' by a brother. Respect you know.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 03:01 pm
I have greeted a roomful of friends by saying, "God damn, look at all the niggas/niggers up in here."

It happened to be the regular greeting of one of my compatriots.

They all got the reference immediately, and hooted.

I was deemed a racist here, however, for it.

(Sorry, I can't remember if I pronounced my "r" on that day.) I have been pegged as a "sistah" on several occasions. If there had been an "r" sound on "sister," what would it have meant then? (I'm feeling rather peevish about this whole thing.) What is even more aggravating are the voices who think they are qualified to make these distinctions.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 03:03 pm
cyphercat wrote:
djjd, you should totally start a thread about that, the discussion needs to be started... Here we are in 2008, and yet still, the child who looks like Garth Brooks and the child who looks like DMX have different computer desks. (I feel especially bad for the Garth Brooks-looking kids.)

She slays me!! Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 03:28 pm
Hi Lash! This entire thread is hilarious starting with page 1. I remember you love animals, so here's a suitable illustration for you:
http://www.lifeisajoke.com/news52.htm

Quote:
Last winter Petra refused to fly to warmer climes so she and the vessel were taken into Muenster zoo and housed in the heated enclosure. Over the past few months the rare Australian black swan struck up a relationship with a real-life German white swan she met at the zoo.
[...........]
But that romance was short lived and went on the rocks last weekend when Bruce ditched Petra for another.

http://www.lifeisajoke.com/Pictures/petra_swan_paddleboat.jpg

I'm hoping for a spontaneous reaction from Aidan to the color of the swans <G>
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 03:36 pm
An important message, High Seas!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 04:02 pm
maporsche wrote:
aidan wrote:

I suspect not.

Well, you'd be wrong then.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 04:15 pm
kickycan wrote:
maporsche wrote:
aidan wrote:

I suspect not.

How do you know?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 04:23 pm
maporsche wrote:
kickycan wrote:
maporsche wrote:
aidan wrote:

I suspect not.

How do you know?

I live in New York. There are lots of people here.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 04:26 pm
kickycan wrote:
maporsche wrote:
kickycan wrote:
maporsche wrote:
aidan wrote:

I suspect not.

How do you know?

You know what Aiden's students do and do not say toward each other?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 04:30 pm
Nope. Are you seriously telling me your argument is specifically about aidan's students, and you aren't trying to make any other point than that? If so, then I apologize. By all means, carry on.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 06:30 pm
kickycan wrote:
Nope. Are you seriously telling me your argument is specifically about aidan's students, and you aren't trying to make any other point than that? If so, then I apologize. By all means, carry on.

Not that you don't include the outer boroughs in "New York," but when you say New York, do you really mean Manhattan; correct? But, people that live in Manhattan work with people oftentimes from the tri-state area (New York, New Jersey, Connecticut). Now, that's a lot of people.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 06:50 pm
My students are from all over New York and New Jersey- most from the city - some from down in Camden - some from Rochester and Syracuse,

They ALL use the word all the time. And at first - I didn't particularly like it- but then I thought- who the hell am I to tell these people what they can and cannot call themselves? I might disagree with it - but I don't have to agree with everything they do- a lot of the time it's none of my business what other people do.
I tend to disengage from people who make me'peevish' instead of stick around and try to tell them what they can and cannot do or say.

But I'm from NJ and I was raised to mind my own business - know what I'm saying...? Laughing

Highseas - I always like all colors together. I'm a white woman with two black children - I thought that big white swan with the lovely black baby swan was BEAUTIFUL! In fact - I think the world could only be better if there were more sights like that.

(I didn't like the desk though - not substantial enough - no matter what color).
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 08:59 am
maporsche wrote:
kickycan wrote:
maporsche wrote:
kickycan wrote:
maporsche wrote:
aidan wrote:

I suspect not.

How do you know?

Seriously, how does this "double standard" incovenience you in the famously diverse Chicago suburbs? Are you upset that you can't say "nigger" and get away with it?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 09:18 am
Gargamel wrote:
maporsche wrote:
kickycan wrote:
maporsche wrote:
kickycan wrote:
maporsche wrote:
aidan wrote:

I suspect not.

How do you know?

Seriously, how does this "double standard" incovenience you in the famously diverse Chicago suburbs? Are you upset that you can't say "nigger" and get away with it?

This is what pisses me off. The knee-jerk liberal position: They must want to call someone a nigger. Try to understand that some people actually passionately care about groupthink, groupspeak and coercive pressure about what words they can say. The only thing I hate worse than hearing someone use this word in reference to a person is the weird Big Brother-y pressure not to say it. Let people speak--let them be answered-- Freedom. Dialogue. Ideas.

****. Watch Sophie Sholl. It is NEVER right to shut down speech.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 11:08 am
Lash - I don't quite get your position.

First I thought you said, "It shouldn't be said."

The I thought I read that you said, you've actually said it to your compatriots as in "what's up my nigga'z" (or something along that line)

Then you say that you hate to hear people referred to in this way

But the only thing you hate worse is for someone to shut down speech...

Is that accurate?

Because Gargamel is right - it has nothing in common or to do with the word "nigger" as per what might be YOUR associations with that word.

It is not an indication of self-loathing or internalized oppression. It is the opposite of that (at least in terms of the 400 black young adults that I work with everyday and have had this discussion in depth with.

Thus, if someone called my daughter or son, "My niggah" I wouldn't think twice about it....there'd be no hating to it - because there's nothing to hate in the sentiment being expressed.

What I hate is when people impress their values on others...I hate that white people still think they can tell black people how they OUGHT to feel about a word - what they OUGHT to say and what they OUGHTN"T say and how that word HAS to be impacting THEM. How the hell can or do you or I or any other white person KNOW?

Why don't we just accept the facts finally that their brains might even be as big as us white folks and they can figure out what works for them?

Jesus - if someone said Rebecca- don't call yourself white - you have to say caucasion or you can only call your friends CHUM or Pal - I'd say - yeah whatever - mind your own business. Especially if they had no idea who my friends were.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 11:17 am
Foofie wrote:
Not that you don't include the outer boroughs in "New York," but when you say New York, do you really mean Manhattan; correct? But, people that live in Manhattan work with people oftentimes from the tri-state area (New York, New Jersey, Connecticut). Now, that's a lot of people.

I don't really get what you're trying to say here, but I meant the whole city of New York. All boroughs.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 12:08 pm
aidan wrote:
Lash - I don't quite get your position.

First I thought you said, "It shouldn't be said."
I prefer that it isn't used to refer to people. Because it has been given such incredible power in our society--and that power is usually used in a negative, devisive way--yes, in a perfect world, no one would say it. Nor would they say other mean things.
The I thought I read that you said, you've actually said it to your compatriots as in "what's up my nigga'z" (or something along that line)
In the mid-90s, before I got so frustrated with the double standard and concluded that the friggin word should be dropped from use. I just draw the line at N Word. That is so ridiculous.
Then you say that you hate to hear people referred to in this way

But the only thing you hate worse is for someone to shut down speech...

Is that accurate?
Yes. What didn't you understand?
Because Gargamel is right - it has nothing in common or to do with the word "nigger" as per what might be YOUR associations with that word.
Says you. You are incorrect.
It is not an indication of self-loathing or internalized oppression.
Says you. You are incorrect. In some cases, it does. Some would argue that anyone embracing and self-identifying with what is purported to be the most egregious slur against the people of this particular race is in itself self-loathing. I don't make that claim, but I acknowledge the basic merit of the argument. What makes you the spokesperson for an entire race?
It is the opposite of that (at least in terms of the 400 black young adults that I work with everyday and have had this discussion in depth with.
Yeah. I'm sure you've had this discussion with 400 kids.
Thus, if someone called my daughter or son, "My niggah" I wouldn't think twice about it....there'd be no hating to it - because there's nothing to hate in the sentiment being expressed.
We parent differently.
What I hate is when people impress their values on others...
Because you want to be the only one doing that? Laughing
I hate that white people still think they can tell black people how they OUGHT to feel about a word - what they OUGHT to say and what they OUGHTN"T say and how that word HAS to be impacting THEM. How the hell can or do you or I or any other white person KNOW?
Did you see someone doing this?

Why don't we just accept the facts finally that their brains might even be as big as us white folks and they can figure out what works for them?
What works for some hostages is to form an unhealthy alliance with their captors--even protect them to their own detriment. It helps them deal with the reality they have to survive in. I don't think what works for you is always based in reality--or what is best for you. It's sort of amusing to see people like you, who think by virtue of skin color or some connection with a particular race--that your opinions should be immediately accepted. The issue is not hands off due to my skin color.
Jesus - if someone said Rebecca- don't call yourself white - you have to say caucasion or you can only call your friends CHUM or Pal - I'd say - yeah whatever - mind your own business. Especially if they had no idea who my friends were.
Mind your own business.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/15/2024 at 07:49:42